I can't shut down XP, even after reformat.

hiroler

Weaksauce
Hey guys, any help would be appreciated.

Sister's laptop, compaq presario 2199US. I had XP Pro on it forever and it wouldn't shut down. I tried everything from Google. I finally reformatted the hd, installed the xp home it came with, and it still won't shut down. During xp install it wouldn't even restart itself.

What the heck could possibly be going on? Compaq only released 1 bios update. I'll try that but its from 2004 and requires a drive A: (floppy).

I did replace the hard drive about 2 years ago for her. Besides that it is as it was in 2003 when she bought it.

Thanks in advance...

Kyle

What does it do when you try to shut down? Does it just hang, go to a screen telling you it's safe to shut down, give you an error message, or maybe something else?

Everything is normal.. it just hangs at "windows is shutting down..."

i'll try safe mode, but it even hung during the first stages of XP install, after reformat.

even after a format........id try a bios flash of the mb. if that doesnt work looks like a hardware issue/failure.

Yeah I don't know, I had already spent a good 3-4 hours on that page trying all those things before I reformatted. There must be something wrong somewhere with some hardware.

Funny thing is the laptop runs great.........

"sister, i'm afraid to tell you this, but... you're gunna have to hold this button down".. haha.

Yeah I don't know, I had already spent a good 3-4 hours on that page trying all those things before I reformatted. There must be something wrong somewhere with some hardware.

Funny thing is the laptop runs great.........

"sister, i'm afraid to tell you this, but... you're gunna have to hold this button down".. haha.

Just a question: do you have standby enabled on this system? My pc would sometimes hang when shutting down with standby enable even though I wasn't using standby, had to disable it and no problems since.

Back