i can't share an internet connection under win2k pro

ok.. we just got a cable modem... i got this computer connected... and i have two other computers connected to it through crossover cables... all 3 are in a workgroup... and i can get to this computer from them... but they won't connect to the internet... waht to i have to set up?

thanks

scott

p.s. i eventually want to make a linux server, but i want to set up the computer first and all that good stuff... then i will have some real questions to ask..

ok.. i am going to be a little more specific this time...

they are networked with the NW-Link protocal (i rememebr using this one before, because it allowed me to connect 2000 and xp...

what is ICS?

i got one comptuer to work after disabling my firewall (sygate personal pro) i would prefer to have a working firewall... also.. the other comptuer still won't connect...

ok.... ICS will only allow me to share my internet connection with 1 ethernet adapter at a time... just one... and i can only do it with my firewall disabled... how do i share my internet connection with 2 or more "local area connections" at a time????

I don’t see why ICS would only work for one Ethernet card. Are you sure that the Default Gate way on the remote pc is configured with the right IP address?. If you can’t get the to work then another option is to go out and buy a cheap switch or a router.

should the default gateway be 192.168.xxx.xxx ??? i really am finding out that i know much less about networking than i thought... but you have to learn sometime....

maybe someone could take me step by step through what should be done..

i do have some hubs... if you look here.. http://geocities.com/scottatwittenberg/haul/IMAG0032.JPG
and in some of the other pictures in that subdirectory, you can see them... they are 10mbps... like i said, i will be running a server of some sort eventually... i can get win server 2000, and of course various versions of linux server... i just need to find out which to use and why...

Ok type 'msconfig' in dos and that will tell you what ip address your computer is using. Now because you have to network cards you will have different ip addresses. Find out what network card the other computer is connected to and use that ip address as the gateway. Heres and example: -

Host A - 192.168.0.1

Host B 192.168.0.2

Host C 192.168.0.4

Get it?

Back