I CANT SCREW THIS Up

StealthyFish

[H]ard|Gawd
Once again, I come back asking almost the same question, but slightly modified. Just a choice between 3 graphics cards now. The reasoning for my annoyingness in asking this question multiple times is becuase I've had 2 screw up cards and I don't want to screw this one up. It's the last one to go into this system before my conroe system, but this might have to hold over for a bit until i get the money for the conroe (technically, my parents pay for this graphics card, lol).

HIS X800GTO - R480 but only 12 pipes. I've seen people overclock to 560//1280 and I've also seen people unlock this card to 16 pipes, but I'm worried about that since the R480s HIS uses (from what I've heard) have 4 damaged pipes which they disabled and allowed the GPU to still run. It only has Sm2 though. Worth it?

HIS X800XL - R430 with 16 pipes. Although it's 16 pipes, I've only seen it overclock to about 460//1100. That doesn't look very impressive compared to 560//1280. Also only has SM2 and is about 6 dollars more than the GTO. I'm worried about the overclocking (since i like overclocking and I want a card with huge potential). Is the 16 pipes worth a lower overclock?

eVGA 7600GT - 12 pipe nvidia card with only a 128 bit memory interface. All i've seen for something called an overclock is 600//1560. that's a 20mhz core overclock and 60 mhz RAM overclock, but scores a little better than the X800s.

What should I do? Ati and Nvidia pretty much screwed up the mid range card section since the X1600 cards suck balls and the 7600GT can't overclock and only has a 128-bit interface. The X800 series cards don't have SM3 and can run just a little bit slower than the 7600GT, but has huge overclocking potential.

(my price range is approximately 160 now with an MIR)

Don't fret over a 128-bit memory interface. It didn't stop the 6600 GT from becoming the most successful, best-value midrange card ever built.

The 7600 GT doesn't see a huge performance hit with a 128-bit bus because texturing is no longer eating up as much bandwidth. Instead, multi-texture effects are being replaced by pixel shaders, which don't require so many memory accesses to render a pixel.

Plus, with the 7600 GT you get the 7-zeries benefits: transparency AA, HDR, etc.

cupholder2.0 said:
Go X1800XT, problem solved. :)

Keep dreaming, you can't even get an OPEN-BOX x1800 XT for $160, let alone a quality retail model. The retail x1800 XTs are $80 or more above his pricepoint.

possibly pick up a used 7800gt on the forums. I know you'll spend a little more than 160 but the 7800gt is so much better than those cards u listed.

AlmostEvil said:
possibly pick up a used 7800gt on the forums. I know you'll spend a little more than 160 but the 7800gt is so much better than those cards u listed.
used 7800GT for the win. but if you *must* have a new card, get the 7600 GT. X800s are old tech and don't have SM3.0 or HDR, which you will sorely want if you don't want to screw this up.

The X800XL is a better buy than the X800GTO in most cases (unless you're hoping to softmod) ... the extra 4 pipes more than make up for the difference in clock speeds between the two cards. X800XL should be neck in neck or a bit faster than the 7600 in Direct3D apps, but slower in OpenGL. But yeah, go for the green in this case.

Oh you can definitely screw it up :D

I know you...YOU CAN

anyway 7800GT ftw. /thread

Save up for a DX10 card unless you absolutely need a card right now. With games utilizing the Unreal 3.0 Engine coming out soon, you'd be better off just waiting to get a DX10 card. They are not so far away. We should be seeing some released in the next couple of months.

8800 Ultra GTX w/ 2GB GDDR3 SLI FTW! :p

But seriously, I have a 6800GT, and I was tempted to get a 7series card, but games coming out right now run fine on it.

You could also try to find a 6600GT to hold you over until the DX10 cards come out. You should be able to find used ones for dirt cheap.

A Sapphire X800GTO2 unlocks to 16PP's and to X850XT specs. I got one off these forums for $130 equipped with an Arctic Silencer. I chose that over the 7600GT because it was cheaper than what I could find the 7600GT for. NewEgg has X850XT's for $127+$5 shipping open box but I don't like buying open box/refubs from them. Or get a good old 6800GT for around that much on ebay.

I found an XFX 6800GS for 170 after MIR at tiger direct. that sound good? O, tiger direct also sells the EVGA 7600GT for about 145.

Between the two I'd go with the 7600GT. a) cheaper, and b) more recent GPU.

yea. the 7600GT clocks like shit though but it's guaranteed performance and has tech over the X800s. i'm still stuck on the 128bit memory bandwidth. my friend with a 6800GS doesn't trail by much against a 7600GT and can volt mod with a change of hex value and be able to score 8000 on 3dmark05 (the 7600GT barely hits 7k if you're lucky with no volt mod) and the volt mod requires hardmodding. don't want to risk it

7600GT's are great.
Really look for a used 7800GT. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $200 flat. It runs more reliable than the 7900GT's in my opinion.

StealthyFish said:
yea. the 7600GT clocks like shit though but it's guaranteed performance and has tech over the X800s. i'm still stuck on the 128bit memory bandwidth. my friend with a 6800GS doesn't trail by much against a 7600GT and can volt mod with a change of hex value and be able to score 8000 on 3dmark05 (the 7600GT barely hits 7k if you're lucky with no volt mod) and the volt mod requires hardmodding. don't want to risk it
Not to hijack, but....tell me more about this volt mod ;)

If you can find another $30, I have a eVGA 7800GT with actic silencer and high end factory overclock for sale...LMK

IMO don't waste your money on any of the cards you listed, since you already have a x800 GTO2. Save your money for a few months, and then you'll have enough for a better card w/ your Conroe rig you want. Or even get a job for a month and then buy a 7800 / 7900. You'll be glad you did. I have a feeling that either of these two cards will run future games pretty darn well, at least for a year or two.

no, problem is my GTO2 was refurb. some guy opened the 4 extra pipes, and my guess is that the R480 core had those pipes damaged, so he unlocked 4 damaged pipes that produced heavy artifacting. I couldn't use it so i sent it back to newegg. I need a card right now, so I'm looking at these. I'm surviving off my brother's X800, but he's askin for it back now, so i gotta make a decision

I guess I would get the 7600GS for 109.99 off newegg then, and hold over until you can afford a better card. This card will run games OK at decent settings.

ahaha. okay. I'm orderin the eVGA 7600GT KO for it's kick a$$ warantee and nicer heatsink. Also, what's with the step-up program? Everyone's been stepping up from the 7600GT to the 7900GT. how much of a price gap is that btw too?

StealthyFish said:
ahaha. okay. I'm orderin the eVGA 7600GT KO for it's kick a$$ warantee and nicer heatsink. Also, what's with the step-up program? Everyone's been stepping up from the 7600GT to the 7900GT. how much of a price gap is that btw too?
Start/All Programs/Accesories/Calculator
www.google.com

i mean if i were to trade the 7600GT in later on. approximately how much would i get for the 7600GT. i saw the sapphire thing, and it was incredibly rediculus (50 dollars for an X1900 series card, any of them). is it more reasonable at evga?

StealthyFish said:
i mean if i were to trade the 7600GT in later on. approximately how much would i get for the 7600GT. i saw the sapphire thing, and it was incredibly rediculus (50 dollars for an X1900 series card, any of them). is it more reasonable at evga?
You get the MSRP value from when you purchased the card.

who cares what has sm3 and what has a 128bit blah blah. whatever gets you bang for the buck. most likely, that's the 7600gt. as fast/faster than last gen high end.

johnnq said:
who cares what has sm3 and what has a 128bit blah blah. whatever gets you bang for the buck. most likely, that's the 7600gt. as fast/faster than last gen high end.

lol, not faster. but yea, 7600GT is faster than the X800GTO and XL

You get the MSRP value from when you purchased the card.
Umm, not exactly. Your step-up cost is the MSRP (@ eVGA.com) of the card you want to step-up TO, *MINUS* the cost you actually paid (NOT MSRP - you WILL need a sales order/receipt from your original purchase to verify, think this is pre tax/shipping cost price).

the 7600gt is faster than the 6800gt, but might be slightly slower than an x850xtpe...but it's got more features ;). 7600gt is the right choice. you can't go wrong.

Back