I can't port my old phone number?

delerious

Weaksauce
I had my old phone number for 3 years with AT&T. Then a couple weeks ago, I got a new phone and switched to Verizon, and ported my old number to Verizon. But then I wasn't impressed with Verizon's coverage, so earlier this week I terminated my Verizon service and returned the phone. Yesterday I got a new phone and new contract with AT&T, as well as a new phone number. They said they could easily port my old number from Verizon as long as I had the account number and password. Today I called AT&T to get them to port my old number from Verizon, and they said they couldn't do it because I had terminated the service. They said I would have to get Verizon to reactivate the service before they could port the number. So I called Verizon, but they said they couldn't reactivate the service since I already returned the phone! Why is it so difficult to port a phone number? Is there any way to get my old phone number back?

eh, you returned the phone and closed your account.

It's easy to port your #, you did it the first time. Then closed your account and no longer own the number.

Then closed your account and no longer own the number.

Right now no one else can claim that number since I still "hold" it, meaning that if I wanted to go back to Verizon within 50 days, they could still give me the number. Just wonder why I can't have it transferred to AT&T.

The number is yours as long as its active. Returning the phone to Verizon closed that account, thus the number went inactive, thus its gone.

The procedure should have been port to Verizon, port back to ATT (or never port it to begin with) THEN return the Verizon phone.

Hmm, I could buy a phone on Verizon and tell them to use my old number, then get AT&T to port it, and then return the phone to Verizon. That would work, just have to make sure there's no restocking fee.

Tough lesson to learn- you can't port a number you no longer have. Since you're starting from scratch, why not get a google voice number and forward it to your new phone number... you'll never have this problem again.

Cause Google Voice is garbage?

All of your outbound calls are sent via your cell #, not your GV # so people need to know two numbers.
The VOIP call quality is just crap.

Cause Google Voice is garbage?

All of your outbound calls are sent via your cell #, not your GV # so people need to know two numbers.
The VOIP call quality is just crap.
This is only true if you are using a standard cell, aka not IOS, Android, WebOS, or Windows based phone.

I made the same mistake, several years ago. That number is gone, sorry to say.

I always get a new number with any new cell phone I try. That way, I can make sure I like the phone before porting my current number.

You might try seeing if they'll reactivate the number on a PREPAID service, you can get a prepaid VZW dumbphone for a few bucks on eBay (or I want to say like $25 at wallyworld) and then get a little $15 card, so you'd only be out around $25 (I think the wallyworld ones come with a free month of service) Not be best option, but if you really want the number, $25 isn't a bad deal.

Back