I can't play Fallout:NV without high speech! :(

KatalDT

2[H]4U
I just can't play without having the speech options open. It feels like I'm missing so much of the game without them there. :( I'll play for a little bit and get frustrated that I can't use this or that speech option that pops up - it's taunting me with it's 19/50 failed speech attempt!

It's tough to make different builds when I don't want to skimp on the Charisma.

Anybody else have this problem?

No, until you get enough speech just choose the other dialog. You will be better off than failing if you do not have enough.

No, until you get enough speech just choose the other dialog. You will be better off than failing if you do not have enough.

Oh, I don't click the failing one. I am just taunted by it being there - it's telling me that I COULD open new options if I had higher speech. That's what annoys me for some reason.

I feel the same way. You can't get by simply by blasting fools like FO3.

This is a move towards the FO and FO2 direction.

Player.setav speech 100

problem solved :). Really though, I found the combat in nv to br pretty easy(especially with a companion like Boone) so there's no excuse to not pump points into speech.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The game is designed specifically so you cannot open up all routes with one play through, you'll have to get used to it. Many things can be achieved through different routes though, sometimes if you can't talk your way through a situation then you can use some appropriate other skill, for example if you're trying to get information out of an engineer or a doctor having a high science or medical skill with give you similar dialogue options, sometimes if you have a high S.P.E.C.I.A.L skill that will also open up other speech options.

At the end of the day you can't have everything, pick a build and stick to it, the only other option is to take a high intelligence, since that affects the number of skill points you get each level, there's also a perk to increase the number you get each level, I started with 9 int and took this early and by level 30 I had 100 skill in energy weapons, guns, science, speech, lockpick and repair. I also had decent levels for medical explosives, about 60 I believe.

I also noticed a change in how important some skills are versus the same skills in Fallout 3.

I got so frustrated with my lack of speech that for three or four level ups I poured a ton of points into speech just to catch up.

But yeah what everyone else said. You can't do everything unless you cheat or follow a perfect character build guide to the letter. I know there are legit ways of making a perfect character in Fallout 3, a 10 for each SPECIAL trait and straight 100s for each skill.

If you can't talk your way into our out of a situation you could always just shoot them.

I don't think such a build is possible in FO NV, and it shouldn't be, that defeats the whole point of the game, the whole idea is that you tailor a character as you want, you have to accept either a character is mediocre at everything or sacrifice certain areas to improve others.

Theres that skill that gives you more points from the books. Plus the higher your intelegence (I think its that one) the more skill points you get per level. Luck also adds to all skills, then that TAG! perk will add 15 points to the skill of your choice. Theres a few I never bother with however, like energy weapons and melee, and save them for the more important ones (to me). Was it me, or did repair not matter, and you could still repair all of the weapons to 100% condition even when it was on 25?

>> did repair not matter

I *think* repair influenced how much value you got from weapons / armour when you use them to repair items yourself. The main use for it is unlocking other stuff, like being able to reload your ammo (especially the improved rounds that require Hand Loader), make your own Weapon Repair Kits etc

Also, Jury Rigging is so good, it's nearly cheating, but requires Repair 90. So worth it though

>> I just can't play without having the speech options open.

You don't need any of that to finish the main quest. You don't *have* to really even talk to anyone to finish the main quest, you could just wander round killing everything. Mostly the high Speech options just get people to do stuff for you without a fight / endless questing, or hand over more caps. It's a good skill for shortcutting things, but just about every puzzle has multiple solutions, it's rarely absolutely necessary

You don't need any of that to finish the main quest. You don't *have* to really even talk to anyone to finish the main quest, you could just wander round killing everything. Mostly the high Speech options just get people to do stuff for you without a fight / endless questing, or hand over more caps. It's a good skill for shortcutting things, but just about every puzzle has multiple solutions, it's rarely absolutely necessary

Exactly, the game is build specifically to allow players to take multiple routes through a lot of quests, that's what Fallout1/2 did so well and what Fallout 3 in a lot of ways failed to really replicate.

All of the pivotal points in the game such as being able to actually get onto the strip itself have numerous ways of being completed using a wide veriety of skills/abilities. For example to get on the strip you need either 2k caps to pass a credit check, or a passport which you can earn from other missions, or you can have one faked by another merchant and that will only open up with the correct barter skill etc, or you can just blatantly hack the robot with high science.

Imagine you're trying to get into a room with a locked door, you might be able to lockpick your way through a door, if it has a terminal you could possibly hack it, if you have speech you might be able to persuade a guard to let you in or give you the code, if you have stealth you might be able to pickpocket a key or code to access, with guns you can kill whoever you need for access.

my next character will probably be less charismatic and less of a repair/science geek and be a melee brawler with high sneak and lockpick to basically sneak and steal my way through the game using sneak melee attacks etc, although not sure how that will go down with the deathclaws xD

Being a dumb ass character in this game will not get you far to be sure.

my next character will probably be less charismatic and less of a repair/science geek and be a melee brawler with high sneak and lockpick to basically sneak and steal my way through the game using sneak melee attacks etc, although not sure how that will go down with the deathclaws xD

What about De Russian! :D

About sneak... deathclaws are easy. I was killing mama claw and papa alpha with my ratslayer and AP ammo. You just have to find the right spots to perch.

But for melee.... you can always setup explosives. They are very slow when they get crippled by frag mines. Just use the forward Roman power attack to keep your distance. (hit from a starting safe distance then run to safe distance again). On other thoughts.... you could try to see if you can run behind the tail of a crippled deathclaw. If you run fast, they might not be able to turn fast enough to get you in their crosshairs. Also, maybe try the riot shotgun. Knock em out, then kill with melee.

It's an RPG with consequences for your choices, not a god simulator. For that, I am glad.

What about De Russian! :D

About sneak... deathclaws are easy. I was killing mama claw and papa alpha with my ratslayer and AP ammo. You just have to find the right spots to perch.

But for melee.... you can always setup explosives. They are very slow when they get crippled by frag mines. Just use the forward Roman power attack to keep your distance. (hit from a starting safe distance then run to safe distance again). On other thoughts.... you could try to see if you can run behind the tail of a crippled deathclaw. If you run fast, they might not be able to turn fast enough to get you in their crosshairs. Also, maybe try the riot shotgun. Knock em out, then kill with melee.

Boolets don't hurt Russian! :D

Yeah it's awfully tempting to be honest, I'm not sure stealth fits the russian though he's just an all out nutcase brawler with no brains or finesse, I was thinking of roleplaying something closer to a thief/assassin like Garrett from the Thief series, skulking about in the shadows.

I'm also considering a sort of mentally ill happy go lucky bomb nutcase who deals only with explosives in close range, go around blowing people up "accidently" due to careless use of grenades/C4 etc. Maybe take stealth and pickpocket C4 onto targets and then stand back and BOOM

I'm actually impressed by the mix of skills i need. I remember in FO3 being able to get by anything with high lock picking and science. now it seems i barley use them.

At the end of the day you can't have everything, pick a build and stick to it, the only other option is to take a high intelligence, since that affects the number of skill points you get each level, there's also a perk to increase the number you get each level, I started with 9 int and took this early and by level 30 I had 100 skill in energy weapons, guns, science, speech, lockpick and repair. I also had decent levels for medical explosives, about 60 I believe.

Ooooh medical explosives! Think of the possibilities!

Back