I Can't Log-in to XP

Viperman5000

Weaksauce
OK, I didn't really know where to put this, so hopefully this works:

Well I went to start up my computer this morning and everything was going smoothly until the log-in screen for XP except nothing comes up (I have it set to the classic log-in style). Not even the mouse. It's just a blue screen.

I restarted numerous times, but to no avail. The only thing that I can do is start it in safe mode but then when I tell it to restart, same thing.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to reformat either because I have 2 5-page papers that I couldn't turn in today because of this, and I don't have another copy. :(

UBCD will let you run AV, anti spyware crap, and other goodies to help fix your computer from the boot cd.
Disk utilities, etc.

can you just take the hard drive out of that computer and plug it in as a slave on another pc? it that should at least allow you to get your data off. then possibly format if you're not able to figure things out with the boot cd.

as for the boot cd thing, there appears to be 2 main versions, basic and full. The difference I see is that the full one has something called INSERT and the other doesn't. what that does is beyond me.

One of the fastest mirrors I found was from serverninjas.com
http://www.serverninjas.com/content/view/17/40/

Once you get all that done, go buy yourself a thumbdrive. :)

If you're referring to which program to use once you boot to the cd, I'm not sure.

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD.
You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.
Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

@ plasma
Yeah, I can get into safe mode.

@ alphanumeric
Sweet, thanks. Now can I just use any old XP Pro disc, or do I need the one that I used to install XP with?

Just a little update:

Somehow everything works now like it should, and I didn't have to "repair" XP or anything. I have no clue how, but it works.

And thanks to everyone's input.

Back