I cant believe i spent 40 minutes troubleshooting a mouse.....

ullyeus

Supreme [H]ardness
Man,

Am I ever frustrated.

I spent the last 40 minutes troubleshooting a new microsoft intellimouse with the tilty wheel thing.

initially I didnt install the software and teh keyboard worked fine (it was a combo)

So I knew it wasnt the wireless base..I reset everything then restart like 3 times and NOTHING NADDA, no connection.

I uninstalled ALL my periphials and reinstalled and still nothing

Then I installed the stupid microsoft software on my system. STILL NOTHING

I check control panel and do the troubleshooting.

MOUSE IS DETECTED FINE

Im so confuse at this time that I have no idea what is going on.

Uninstall....Reinstall....Reboot.....etc

NOTHING NADDA

Do you want to know what the problem was?

Do you really?

Want me to tell you?

It was my mousepad....my friggin mousepad.....

This mouse will not BUDGE one millimeter when its on my mousepad.

It however works fine on ANY other surface in my house.

Unbelievable...never even considered for a second that was a problem.....

hehe ya live ya learn right? sounds like when I troubleshoot computers and find out the netowork cable isnt pluged in...i check that first now ;)

i'm laughing with you seriously

Dont feel bad, I spent about 6 months of tech support, forum posts, googleing and asking my fellow IT guys about my hardware problem with my computer taking 3 minutes to boot up, at the time it was a top of the line.

You know what the problem was, the FREAKING JUMPER!!!

The damn thing was barley on, worst problem I have ever seen. Guess i learned the hard way, considering my first 40 or so posts on this forum were in regards to this problem.

Haha, that's like when I hooked up my new backup computer, and put the tower right next to my main rig... Then I spend 30 minutes trying to figure out why the CD drive wouldn't work, it wouldn't detect ANY cd I put in it no matter what... And for that matter, it wouldn't detect and floppy disks either! Turns out I was putting the disks in the wrong computer, rofl :D :rolleyes: ;)

Originally posted by RS3RS
Haha, that's like when I hooked up my new backup computer, and put the tower right next to my main rig... Then I spend 30 minutes trying to figure out why the CD drive wouldn't work, it wouldn't detect ANY cd I put in it no matter what... And for that matter, it wouldn't detect and floppy disks either! Turns out I was putting the disks in the wrong computer, rofl :D :rolleyes: ;)

LOL, good times.

I once had to do a power point presentation in front of my class, so, of course, I put my floppy disk in the computer and nothing happened. Then I found that I put my disk in a macintosh computer instead of the regular PC, where the disk was supposed to go. If anyone ever used one of the older model Macs you know that you can only eject the disk in the operating system or by sticking a paper clip in the hole next to the floppy drive. So I had to get a paper clip :p . Another reason why macs suck.

Same thing happened to me last week. Roommate brought his computer from home in, set it all up and asked me to look at it, it was not booting. After an hour of playing with it, I decide to get to my homework and I unplug the sytem to take it off my desk. Its then i realise that every pin on the mouse's Ps2 connector is bent and shorting with another, and only 2 pins were auctually seating.

A few years ago in college, this one girl that everybody on our floor in the dorm liked was having a computer problem -- whenever she would reboot she would get lots of beeping and it would give her boot errors, never making it into windows. A couple of guys were trying to fix it and impress her but couldn't figure it out.

Long story short, I walked in, noticed she had the keyboard slid underneath her monitor, and it was holding down a couple of F keys. Move the keyboard 1/2 an inch, booted fine.

That was after like 2 hours of work from the other guys. hilarious.

I've pulled that brilliant manuever too. ;)

ROFLMAO:D :D

that certainly made me laugh

and also brought memories, i did the same thing

Ive had many problems with reading CDs due to the fact that there were 2 CDs stacked in my drive lol

Almost forgot, I also had a CDROM not working for about 3 months cause the IDE cable was upside down lol

Originally posted by S1N3R6Y
LOL, good times.

I once had to do a power point presentation in front of my class, so, of course, I put my floppy disk in the computer and nothing happened. Then I found that I put my disk in a macintosh computer instead of the regular PC, where the disk was supposed to go. If anyone ever used one of the older model Macs you know that you can only eject the disk in the operating system or by sticking a paper clip in the hole next to the floppy drive. So I had to get a paper clip :p . Another reason why macs suck.
I was fixing one of the newer macs for a friend. Well, the OS was screwed up (wouldn't boot AT ALL), and he had a music CD or something in the drive. I had to get the OS CD in there, right? Well, the problem was that there was a) NO button to eject the CD and b)NO paperclip hole:rolleyes: That's right, the ONLY way to eject the CD was either in the OS or by pressing a button on the keyboard. The problem was, the button on the keyboard DIDN'T WORK BECAUSE THE OS WAS DEAD!!!

Eventually I found some obscure key combination that force-ejected the CD, but heaven help you if you don't have a keyboard handy or your BIOS gets nuked.

Come on Apple...it's not like your computers don't screw up, why don't you build any contingency into them?:(

Originally posted by ullyeus
Man,

Am I ever frustrated.

I spent the last 40 minutes troubleshooting a new microsoft intellimouse with the tilty wheel thing.

How is that new mouse?

That is the best laugh I have had a in a few hours.

ROLMAO at RS3RS. Too funny, I remember having brain farts like that.

rofl, nice. I always will move it around on other surfaces if it won't do anything, just cause it's something you gotta do.

Happens to the best of us. When I installed some h20 cooling in my AMD rig it took 3 days to figure out why it kept shutting off when I booted. I didn't screw the block down enough and the temperature auto shut down was kicking in(you know the one that supposedly doesn't work with AMD processors). Meanwhile before I figured it out I ordered a new mobo and proc. :( Oh well, I sold them in the trading forum for a loss and "learned" from the experience.

what mousepad were you using exactly that wouldn't work at all?
was it a regular joe schmoe mousepad?
if so that makes it even more hilarious.

my new psu ate my mobo and video card last night, so i rebuilt my rig using old bastardized parts until i can order a new mobo, and i forgot to attache the power headers to the dvdrom and cdrw, so im sitting in my chair, reading this thread, trying to figure out why the hell neither of the drives will open. ugh..

modded a inwin case, died the bezle painted the case... computer wouldnt do shit.... the new coloring made the reset buton stick, a half-hour of trouble shooting for that...

I think the more you work with computers the more you get stories of the shit you just didnt think of b/c it was too simple i have too many computers around but its fun when friends try to use the one not hooked up to a moniter, or that doesnt have anything but a hd pluged in

Back