I cannot install Windows 10 on my SSD

sasuke108

n00b
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz

SSD: 2.5″ Kingston A400 240GB

System Information says my Bios Mode is Legacy.

Bios mode options: UEFI or Legacy + UEFI

I selected Legacy + UEFI

Sata Mode options: IDE or AHCI or Raid

I selected AHCI

The SSD is in MBR.

I can see the SSD during the installation but windows says “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk’s controller is enabled in the computer’s BIOS menu.”

Right now I can only save files in the SSD but cannot install win10 on it.

Please help.

Usually this is either the target volume ( or available space on said volume or partition) is too small for the install, or you are trying to install to the non-primary partition. DISKPART it (on another machine if neccessary) to wipe what is there, create a new primary partition (GPT) and and see if that fixes the issue

^^ yup. grab any data off it, make sure its on the first sata port, then run diskpart and do a clean function on the drive. disconnect any other drives to be safe.

1656854283884.png

boot off install media
open command prompt, then:

diskpart
list disk (to confirm drive #)
select disk 0 (should be 0)
clean

then restart the system and install, let window configure the drive automatically by just selecting it and clicking next.

^^ yup. grab any data off it, make sure its on the first sata port, then run diskpart and do a clean function on the drive. disconnect any other drives to be safe.

View attachment 488646

boot off install media
open command prompt, then:

diskpart
list disk (to confirm drive #)
select disk 0 (should be 0)
clean

then restart the system and install, let window configure the drive automatically by just selecting it and clicking next.
I removed all my drives and connected the SSD in a sata port (not sata port 6) and it installed perfectly.
Thank you.

during the install, you can also Shift F10 to get a cmd prompt and run diskpart..

I agree with getting the data on it - saving it to a data storage device of some sort. Then, re-format - but, change some settings in BIOS.

Use UEFI (only) and GPT for the partition type - not MBR. MBR is old school. :) Using AHCI is good, too.

That is a old ancient trick I learned a few years ago disconnect all the drives except for the boot drive I have no idea if I work on a M.2 drive. I have a 850 Samsung as my boot.

That is a old ancient trick I learned a few years ago disconnect all the drives except for the boot drive I have no idea if I work on a M.2 drive. I have a 850 Samsung as my boot.
This is worth trying if OP hasn't gotten it yet (looks like it's been a couple of weeks). I've had to do this, even recently, same error message at the same stage selecting the target drive. (I think the system was even of the same era, Z97.) Leaving the intended boot drive as the only internal attached storage solved it for me.
Assuming OP has more than just the 1 drive, of course.

Back