I can ping a PC on my network but can't connect to it

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
=============
== UPDATE: ==
Problem resolved by selecting "Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP" in the advanced TCP/IP settings.
=============
**All machines running XP with the same workgroup**

I've got a laptop that I can ping but I can't connect either by typing...

\\[computer name] ...or
\\[IP address]

I get a response of "network path was not found"

Yet, I can ping the address in the command prompt... Any ideas? I tried to Google "can ping but can't connect / browse" but didn't get much help as most of what I saw was dealing with other unrelated problems --usually being not able to get online...

Last edited:
Yeah, nothing special on the firewall (that I can see)... Just the standard Windows Firewall.

Allow file sharing on the firewall.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Right click start menu and go to explore, scroll down to Network and expand that. Go through Microsoft and Entire Network, etc. You'll see your work group and open that up. See if you can see the PC name in there.

shut off the firewall and try again to see if that's the problem

Right click start menu and go to explore, scroll down to Network and expand that. Go through Microsoft and Entire Network, etc. You'll see your work group and open that up. See if you can see the PC name in there.

Turned off the firewall on the laptop and still can't see it on any of the other machines on the network. I don't see it from the Entire Network either. I can still ping it but can't access it either by \\[computer name] or \\[IP address]. I can see all the other machines when I browse the network FROM the laptop though... This is strange...

Try disabling Routing and Remote Access service on the laptop.

In a test environment, I ran into exactly your same problem and disabling that service solved it. I also enabled Computer Browser as well.

Try disabling Routing and Remote Access service on the laptop.

In a test environment, I ran into exactly your same problem and disabling that service solved it. I also enabled Computer Browser as well.

Routing and Remote Access was already disabled.
Computer Browser was already enabled and running.

BTW, I'm not running any antivirus or special firewall software.

After a bit more Google searching, it looks like the problem is resolved in my case by doing the following:

Enable "Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP" under Advanced TCP/IP Settings > WINS

Very strange since all other XP boxes on my network (both Home and Pro versions) don't have this setting set that way but whatever works! Thanks everyone for getting me to the finish!!

is Client for Microsoft Network listed under the nic properties?

if not you will have that issue, can ping by name or ip but can't browse

is Client for Microsoft Network listed under the nic properties?

if not you will have that issue, can ping by name or ip but can't browse

Client for Microsoft Networks is there and enabled. It's all working now (see above post) so I'm not worried about it anymore (strange as it was)...

Back