I can do EVERYTHING on my network...EXCEPT FILE SHARING!

Kurak

Limp Gawd
As it is now, I have two computers running windows xp, networked via a belkin54g wireless router. Not the best router in the world (it was a gift) but I had the same file sharing issues with a netgear wired router...

My computer...(let's call it computer A) is connecting to the router via a cable @ 100mbit speeds. The otheris connected via a wireless network card at varying speeds...usually 36mbps to 48mbps. Range and signal strength is not a problem at all...

Anyway, the problem is, that we can't get file sharing to work via "my network places". When I try to access "computer b" I get this message.

//Computerb is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Now, when computer b goes to my network places, he doesn't see anything, even his own computer, but we had similar problems with both computers on the wired and wireless router so I think that is moot, but it could be something.

The weird part is, we ARE networked.

If we transfer files via AIM or netmeeting, for example, it goes at full speeds, or at least the max that those programs allow, which is unfortunately less than the windows file sharing protocols.

We can ping eachother. We can talk to eachother using netmeeting, dialer.exe, aim. We can play games on the same network. Everything works perfectly fine except windows file sharing, even though when computer b logs into windows, it appears in "my network places". It is there, but computer A can't access it.

I've tried everything. Enabling guest accounts, manually entering DNS and DHCP info. They are members of the same workgroup, the router is set up properly for a workgroup network, but nothing works. I've even made new accounts for each computer.

PLEASE help, I've had this problem for at least a year, and I would like to resolve it ASAP.

Alrighty.. first thing to check.. make sure you have both firewalls on the computer turned off. This is located under your network connections properties.

If that doesn't work, make sure you run the network setup wizard on both computers.

Next, you have two options. XP uses simple file sharing and "advanced" file sharing. I would recomend advanced because this provides more security, but simple is also an option. I dont know if your using Pro or Home, but here is a very good tutorial for file sharing on windows xp:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/

If that website doesn't help... I'm not sure there's much else you can do other than to make sure all the neccesary services are enabled and running.

Originally posted by Kurak
//Computerb is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The correct syntax is "\\Computer" or "\\Computer\Share".

Originally posted by fibroptikl
The correct syntax is "\\Computer" or "\\Computer\Share".

Whoops :)

Also, both firewalls are off, but I'm checking that link you sent me. The network setup wizard was already run also.

Good luck. Keep in mind if you turn off simple file sharing you will have to manualy share each hard drive. Right click drive, sharing. Remove the share. Then, click New Share and add the appropriate users (them must have passwords with this type of file sharing). Dont forget to remove "everyone" ;)

I was gonna say..

go to start--> run--> \\computername\C$

it should prompt you for a username pass.
See if you can get in that way.

What accounts did you setup? If they are both Administrator but the workgroup name is the same I have seen issues with this since it will try and pass the admin credentials from the originating machine to the othe rmachine, which has the same named account but a different password.

Hmmm. It sounds like the Belkin router is putting your wireless boxen on a different subnet than your wired box, which might explain your filesharing problems.

Possibly stupid question here, but what router port is your wired box connected to? I'm guessing you have the F5D7230-4. You should have five RJ45 ports on the back of the router--four grouped together and one off by itself. Judging from the user manual, a computer connected to one of the four grouped ports sits on the same subnet as your wireless boxen, but anything connected to the one solitary port does not.

Back