I bricked my WRT54G.

upriverpaddler

[H]ard|Gawd
While trying to install DD-WRT on my router yesterday. More than likely it was my fault. But I followed the instructions exactly. I know I did :rolleyes: .

It was a v.5. With linksys software, I've had lots of problems with it killing my connection lately. Even the wired connections would die, and I'd have to reboot my modem daily. So I thought flashing it would solve the problem.

I've done a little reading, but I'm starting to get overwhelmed. Would my best bet be replacing it with another WRT54G v.5? Would it be worth shopping on ebay for an earlier version? Or does anyone recommend another brand?

Before giving up....I'd go for the revival methods. If you do give up and get another..I'd recommend better a version other than the dreaded V5.

However...revival methods (and I've brought a few back from the dead with these)
http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=47259

Last week I de-bricked my version 1...when the awesome Tomato 3rd party firmware came out a while ago, before their website said "Don't attempt on V1 routers..they don't get along"..I tried flashing mine from DD to Tomato. Bricked. I left it alone for a few months..since I have a few other WAPs to fiddle with. But last weekend, was bored, spent an hour reviving her.

Manually set your NIC to 192.168.1.10 or so, 255.255.255.0 snm.
10 base, 1/2 duplex.

Use the Linksys setup utility provided in the link above..it's an GUI EXE, not the usual tftp utility, but a more automated one. Combined with running a steady -t ping, shorting the pins on the flash, after several attempts I managed to click the upgrade button at the right time and it shoved the Linksys firmware down the throat of the wrt. Then a few hard resets later..she ran fine, reflashed with DD..good to go.

YeOldeStonecat said:
when the awesome Tomato 3rd party firmware came out a while ago,

The Tomato firmware is pretty sweet? I haven't heard anything on it, I have been playing with dd-wrt for about 3 wks now, its ok, love parts of it, but rest pretty ok.

I d/l the tomato firmware, upgraded and tested most of last night. Unfortunetely it does not have some of the features that i desperately need. I would say that it is great for someone that needs better firmware than linksys.

ScYcS said:
Brainfart?

...No, I was simply responding to the last question in his orginal post. Read?

upriverpaddler said:
Would my best bet be replacing it with another WRT54G v.5? Would it be worth shopping on ebay for an earlier version? Or does anyone recommend another brand?

Chaoticon said:
...No, I was simply responding to the last question in his orginal post. Read?

Wrt54g is a router, not a modem. I actually looked for Motorola routers on newegg after that post.

Anyway, I tried the tricks you pointed out Stonecat, but no luck. My wife is bitching cuz she can't use her laptop in the living room, so a v.2 on ebay is out. Gonna hit newegg later tonight.

Awesome..so Indeed I need to learn to read also. As for router, I would also recommend D-link over linksys. I myself use a D-link gamerlounge, comes with some pretty nice specs.

upriverpaddler said:
Anyway, I tried the tricks you pointed out Stonecat, but no luck. My wife is bitching cuz she can't use her laptop in the living room, so a v.2 on ebay is out. Gonna hit newegg later tonight.

Were you able to get any replies from the pings?

As long as the unit powers on, you can always use a JTAG cable to fix it.

No, I took it apart, but the layout for the v.5 is totally different than in the pics in the tutorial and I don't know enuff to find the chip.

As long as the unit powers on, you can always use a JTAG cable to fix it.
I read that article and decided that I'll just buy another router before I dive into something like that.

try using the manual booting firmware on linksys' site and doing a flash manually through that firmware setup. I've bricked a lot of routers and it usually solves it after a few times.

Probably best to look through the firmware for the 2.4hz-B routers, it should be there.

Qwertyman said:
manual booting firmware on linksys' site

?. Maybe you can help me find this, I don't know what you're talking about. When I select WRT54G v.5 from the dropdown box, there is only the firmware file.

Hey, I had this same issue on a V3 once and plugged into the WAN port and login to the router, reflash the firmware and get everything fixed.

See if that works.

upriverpaddler said:
?. Maybe you can help me find this, I don't know what you're talking about. When I select WRT54G v.5 from the dropdown box, there is only the firmware file.

Sorry, i figured that would come off vague.

1) Go here and download the setup wizard. The second item.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...966208&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

2) Go download the firmware of your router on this page:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...315088&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

(I'm pretty sure that's yours, double check)

3) When you get the wizard setup, load the bin, choose the default settings.

Password should be admin, ip should be 192.168.1.1. You might need to manual config the network settings so it becomes a static ip, also subnet mask 255.255.0.0. You can do that in control panel. (Don't worry about it for now)

4) Load the firmware and it should erase the old crap and replace it with the new crap. You should get a green light when its done. This may take a few times so get trying.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but you can try.

Back