I bought up a Xbox wireless adapter...

Vicinity

2[H]4U
And I was wondering if anyone knew how I can get my WEP key off my currently connected computer. It won't carry the WEP over from the wired connection I used.

I don't have access to the router (its on the family computer, and I'm not an admin on it).

Btw, does this thing get a ~fast connection? My current adapter only gets one bar.

I don't have a Xbox, so I have no idea how well the wireless adapter works. You are going to just have to ask whomever has administrator access to get you the key. That involves going to the router by accessing 192.168.1.1 (or something similar depending on the router) and typing in the password for the router admin, and going to the wireless security section.

Depending on the router model, and what firmware it is using there will be different things you have to do when trying to access it. Good luck.

Flip the router over. Some have the WEP Key listed on the bottom.

If the admin of you're network knows what he/she is doing then the router probably isn't even using WEP. Hopefully the adapter you bought is able to use WPA/2 if that is the case.

Why can't you just ask whoever setup you're router what the key is? They would probably have a better understanding on how to help you.

FWIW, a WRT54G running Tomato/DD-WRT in Wireless Ethernet Bridge mode does the exact same thing as one of the "Xbox" specific adapters and gives you ALOT more flexibility. Not to mention way cheaper.

If the admin of you're network knows what he/she is doing then the router probably isn't even using WEP. Hopefully the adapter you bought is able to use WPA/2 if that is the case.

Why can't you just ask whoever setup you're router what the key is? They would probably have a better understanding on how to help you.

FWIW, a WRT54G running Tomato/DD-WRT in Wireless Ethernet Bridge mode does the exact same thing as one of the "Xbox" specific adapters and gives you ALOT more flexibility. Not to mention way cheaper.

My stepdad couldn't remember the key. I figured it out, though. I had it written on the back of my XP disc sleeve.

You could have also used a free tool, available online, called wirelesskeyview, just for future reference.

Back