i bought this tool... did i get gypped?

wayne

2[H]4U
i just ran out to home depot before to buy a cup saw... 3 inches diameter... it says BI-METAL.. im pretty sure it can cut steel... brand names called Blu-Mol

i also bought a mandrel along with it

the cup saw itself was 13.97
the mandrel itself was 10.97

came out to be $27.09 after tax and everything... was this a good deal? or could i have paid cheaper?

my dad wasnt too happy about this :(

thanks

You could probably get it a little cheaper online, but that's true with most things. I wouldn't say that you were charged too much.

BTW, I've always considered "gypped" to be an ethnic slur (derived from "gypsy"). You might want to refrain from using it, at least in the subject line.

Use of the word gyp is double plus ungood.

The problem with ordering things online is that the shipping can get you. I can't buy an electronic dog repeller locally because it is harmfull to cute litte ravenous dogs, but ordering it makes it cost three time as much.

ya I run into that a lot myself. The deals online are great but when you get to that damn shipping page your price goes up to much IMHO. :mad:

Wayne I just bought (basically) the same thing and the order came out to $27.96

And I don't have it yet after a week!

I bought online because I heard that Milwaukee brand was good so I got that.

wayne said:
i just ran out to home depot before to buy a cup saw... 3 inches diameter... it says BI-METAL.. im pretty sure it can cut steel... brand names called Blu-Mol

i also bought a mandrel along with it

the cup saw itself was 13.97
the mandrel itself was 10.97

came out to be $27.09 after tax and everything... was this a good deal? or could i have paid cheaper?

my dad wasnt too happy about this :(

thanks

Probably not..Blu-Mol is on par with Lennox and Milwaukee...We used them to put sadles (mechanical outlet T's & 40-5 straps) onto sched 80 pipe when I was a fire sprinkler/pipe fitter, sched 80 pipe is the heavy shit...

Link to the gear I described.
http://www.tyco-fire.com/TFP_Products/display_cscpr.php?S=GR&B=CSC

Cheap hole-saws are shit and make shitty cuts, and can end up hurting you if they bust, slip or fly apart.

Good tools aren't cheap...you don't buy tools at the dollar store, you get $1 POS at the dollar store.

MD

OKANG said:
You could probably get it a little cheaper online, but that's true with most things. I wouldn't say that you were charged too much.

BTW, I've always considered "gypped" to be an ethnic slur (derived from "gypsy"). You might want to refrain from using it, at least in the subject line.
well, i mean gypped as in getting ripped off, or getting swindled or tricked into a sale

but just incase, i changed it to swindled :D

speedracer089 said:
is a cup saw the same thing as a hole saw?
yes

btw, whats the proper term for this tool?.. ive went to a couple of hardware stores asking for this and they seemed a bit confused... maybe they use a different term

Wondernerd said:
Use of the word gyp is double plus ungood.

The problem with ordering things online is that the shipping can get you. I can't buy an electronic dog repeller locally because it is harmfull to cute litte ravenous dogs, but ordering it makes it cost three time as much.
yea, thats the reason why i didnt order online

MD_Willington said:
Probably not..Blu-Mol is on par with Lennox and Milwaukee...We used them to put sadles (mechanical outlet T's & 40-5 straps) onto sched 80 pipe when I was a fire sprinkler/pipe fitter, sched 80 pipe is the heavy shit...

Link to the gear I described.
http://www.tyco-fire.com/TFP_Products/display_cscpr.php?S=GR&B=CSC

Cheap hole-saws are shit and make shitty cuts, and can end up hurting you if they bust, slip or fly apart.

Good tools aren't cheap...you don't buy tools at the dollar store, you get $1 POS at the dollar store.

MD
so that means mine is generally good based on the fact i paid almost $30 for it?

Yes, the Blumol brand is good! I use them a fair amount, and you can get a good even cut from them. Compared to the cheaper ones which will give you a poor/jagged/unround hole.
As far as I'm aware they are called a 'hole saw', and the middle bit is the mandrel (at least in New Zealand they are).

i just bought the same exact setup but i got a 3 and a 3 1/4 for some 90mm fans also got the exact same shiz from home depot.

cut through my steel thermaltake case just fine (took a little while) just be patient and take ur time with ur cuts. If ur cutting alluminum itll go through it like butter cut some holes in my friends lian li with it. o yeh btw hope ur dad has a dremmel so u can de-bur the cuts.

excuse the totall lack of grammar heh :p

timske said:
i just bought the same exact setup but i got a 3 and a 3 1/4 for some 90mm fans also got the exact same shiz from home depot.

cut through my steel thermaltake case just fine (took a little while) just be patient and take ur time with ur cuts. If ur cutting alluminum itll go through it like butter cut some holes in my friends lian li with it. o yeh btw hope ur dad has a dremmel so u can de-bur the cuts.

excuse the totall lack of grammar heh :p
i dont have a dremel but i have dremel bits... i ll put one on my drill and de-bur it that way

but no big deal because i can always put molding on it

As a member of the swine community (I am in fact Wibur the pig from Charlettes Web) I am offended by the term "swindled"

love,
WIlbur

Wayne, the dremel works because of the high speeds and small tools. Good luck getting one of those small tools to work well with a drill.

ninethreeeleven said:
As a member of the swine community (I am in fact Wibur the pig from Charlettes Web) I am offended by the term "swindled"

love,
WIlbur
are you really?... im sorry, if you are, i will gladly change it... i made this thread to ask for advice not to offend people so if you think i should change it, i will... otherwise, i ll save that time

DudeItsMe said:
Wayne, the dremel works because of the high speeds and small tools. Good luck getting one of those small tools to work well with a drill.
yea, it uses high speed for their cutting discs... but with the grinders and sanding drum bits... it doesnt need such high speed... just a lil bit more time wasted :p

wayne said:
are you really?... im sorry, if you are, i will gladly change it... i made this thread to ask for advice not to offend people so if you think i should change it, i will... otherwise, i ll save that time

that was a joke that flew right over your head.

Please listen to people who actually have used holesaws before.......I keep reading how "cheap hole saws" make bad cuts, break, etc and it's retarded. Nobody considers who is using this. I highly doubt any nub is gonna try to put a holesaw through 1/4" steel so ........ANY cheap holesaw will do just fine.

harbor freight sells a set up to 6" for $13 or so. I got my set for $3............cut through 1/4" aluminum easy and exact.

Time to go shopping for Holesaws!

My order at buykimco.com was backordered so I called and asked them to cancel it. They did it quickly without a problem so I'm happy. Now I can go get what I need.

I have said this before - if you are using a holesw for the first time (and there is a fair chance you are), make sure youput a piece of backing wood behind the panl yo are cutting. This will give the mandrel/pilot bit something to grab into and help you go in straight. Make sure you have the piece clamped down as well ... hole saws have a tendancy to bind up when they pierce through the other side.

Safety first. Wear eye protection as well - more than just a pair of sunglasses. You only get two eyes - look after them.

(Oh yeah - BluMol ... good brand. It'll last you a long time. But don't knock the Dollar / BigLots type stores, I wouldn't buy precision gear there, but you get bargains on clamps, duct tape, and occassionaly things like workbenches there :) )

wayne said:
so that means mine is generally good based on the fact i paid almost $30 for it?

Yeah as long as it wasn't some generic POS shit from the discount bin (generic non-labelled black ones that come in a kit) then it should last quite a long time...I had a few that were used to do the sprinkler systems, lasted fo quite a few jobs...thats a lot of pipe that got hole-sawed.

MD

Back