I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
Last edited:
What PSUs are you guys rolling with? I've got a 650W that will need to be replaced. Wondering if I should drop a 1000W in there and get it over with.

What PSUs are you guys rolling with? I've got a 650W that will need to be replaced. Wondering if I should drop a 1000W in there and get it over with.
Quality 850w unit from Evga, corsair or seasonic should quality easily.

My 5800X/3080 system is running on an EVGA 750w G3 PSU. Solid as a rock.

Quality 850w unit from Evga, corsair or seasonic should quality easily.

My 5800X/3080 system is running on an EVGA 750w G3 PSU. Solid as a rock.
Hm. Duly noted.

Don't mean to get off topic, how much does power consumption typically swing in a PC? I can only relate to motorcycles and adding heated gear. I've had to install LEDs all around, new stator, etc. Is 850W to 1000W a massive leap in a PC?

My 3090 Aorus Xtreme (high power, MAHOOSSIVE cooler) + 10700K works great with a nearly 10 year old Corsair AX750.

RMX 850 by Corsair. Had to get this 3 years ago when my Antec TP 550 could no longer deal with the 1080 ti I had just gotten...

Yea I can see that if you arent close to one. Theres an unofficial mc discord if you want to check what people are seeing. https://discord.gg/W438Vz2
This was super helpful, my local store got enough cards today that I had time for a half hour drive to pick one up after someone posted what today's delivery had in it and how many people were already there.

ps9b7ks4n7861.png

Digitech (I guess biggest electronics/IT retailer in Switzerland) posted this message on their site
What a sad state of affairs for GPUs

This was super helpful, my local store got enough cards today that I had time for a half hour drive to pick one up after someone posted what today's delivery had in it and how many people were already there.
Yea it’s how I got my 6800xt and 3080.
I am using a Corsair sf750 with my 5900x and 3080. Watt meter shows 520w max pull from the wall and I have it boosting to 2050-2100 MHz when gaming. Probably 50w less for most other people since I have a lot of extra custom loop stuff in my rig. A YouTube had no issues running a 3080 and 3950x with a 600 watt sfx psu.

Yea it’s how I got my 6800xt and 3080.

I am using a Corsair sf750 with my 5900x and 3080. Watt meter shows 520w max pull from the wall and I have it boosting to 2050-2100 MHz when gaming. Probably 50w less for most other people since I have a lot of extra custom loop stuff in my rig. A YouTube had no issues running a 3080 and 3950x with a 600 watt sfx psu.
Apparently PSUs operate best when under 70% load. Let's not forget spikes, too.
You are at that mark exactly, so you are using the PSU best.
A lower wattage PSU might not be the best idea in the long run, I'd imagine.

I just got a evga ultra 3080 this morning from MC. I showed up 30mins before they opened and got one. Was about 20 people on front of me. Now I just need a cpu..

Last edited:
I just got a evga ultra 3080 this morning from MC. I showed up 30mins before they opened and got one. Was about 20 people on front of me.
Congrats, my Evga 3080 Ultra arrived in the mail yesterday! My only question is anyone using the 4-pin AUX FAN connector on the side of the card? The fans spin up during boot and under heavy load but otherwise stay off.

I just got a evga ultra 3080 this morning from MC. I showed up 30mins before they opened and got one. Was about 20 people on front of me. Now I just need a cpu..

Man its amazing they still have lines 3 months after launch. Crazy lol.

Man its amazing they still have lines 3 months after launch. Crazy lol.
This line was shorter then normal. They got 12 evga ftw ultra 3090 and I believe he said 15 3080 between the evga and MSI trio.

I'm going to quietly hate everyone who lives near a Microcenter. It's not personal. Jealousy is a demanding mistress
It's also bullshit, sites like Newegg and Amazon have to service entire countries whereas a MicroCenter only reaches people in about a 100 mile radius.
For every 1 card they send to MC they should be sending 1,000+ to online stores, but I doubt that's the case.

That being said, physical stores don't have to deal with bots, it's easier to enforce 1-per-household rules to stop scalpers, so every card being sold in a physical store is more likely going to an actual gamer and won't be re-sold en masse. So if a company were interested in stopping scalpers and keeping the cards in the hands of people who actually use them, they would prioritize MicroCenter.

For everyone talking about living near a Micro Center...I personally live 134 miles away from the nearest one (Somewhere on the Central Coast, California to Tustin, California). Tustin being somewhere in Orange County, California. Thanks. Out!

News breaking today about a potential 10-20% price hike, due to a tariff exclusion expiring.
Some AIB prices already going up.

Update regarding MSRP pricing for ASUS components in 2021.
This update applies to graphics cards and motherboards*

We have an announcement in regards to MSRP price changes that are effective in early 2021 for our award-winning series of graphic cards and motherboards. Our new MSRP reflects increases in cost for components, operating costs, and logistical activities plus a continuation of import tariffs. We worked closely with our supply and logistic partners to minimize price increases. ASUS greatly appreciates your continued business and support as we navigate through this time of unprecedented market change.

*additional models may see an increase as we moved further into Q1.

Last edited:
News breaking today about a potential 10-20% price hike, due to a tariff exclusion expiring.

We have an announcement in regards to MSRP price changes that are effective in early 2021 for our award-winning series of graphic cards and motherboards. Our new MSRP reflects increases in cost for components, operating costs, and logistical activities plus a continuation of import tariffs. We worked closely with our supply and logistic partners to minimize price increases. ASUS greatly appreciates your continued business and support as we navigate through this time of unprecedented market change.

Source?

Newegg seems to have price hikes across various brands. Other AIBs will probably follow shortly to make it "official".

Big slap in the face of those who have been fighting for weeks/months to try and get the GPU they want only to now also encounter a price hike because they couldn't get one in time.

View attachment 312347

Columbus Micros Center.
No cards except a few last gen AMD.
No expected in shipment today.
One guy tells me "Hey brother, I just returned a 6800." The Microcenter guy tells me "Wait, all retuned cards are under a 4 day quarantine"
Ask the manager , same response with no exceptions. Then tells me best bet is wait till April. Like wait until 3 months before the next unobtainable card is announced?
Fuck that. I'll teach my kids something funner.
Looks like my son gets his first AR15.

Heck yeah! An AR15 is way better than a graphics card.

....Can I be your son? lol

Makes a hard decision easy.
New gun or a GPU you can't find, now at increased price...?
Vote with your wallet or allow this to be normal.
EASY.

From what I can tell most have only gone up about $10-20 so far aside from the ASUS cards which sky-rocketed. Interesting to see how other AIBs will react.

rx6800 non x was in stock at amazon from amazon at $809.99

Juan Jose Guerrero III

3t Spetohnsormreraemsd ·

We have an announcement in regards to MSRP price changes that are effective in early 2021 for our award-winning series of graphic cards and motherboards. Our new MSRP reflects increases in cost for components. operating costs, and logistical activities plus a continuation of import tariffs. We worked closely with our supply and logistic partners to minimize price increases. ASUS greatly appreciates your continued business and support as we navigate through this time of unprecedented market change.

BUUUUUUUULLSHIT!

At this point I'm strongly considering tapping out of all this and sticking with what I already got in my PC which is perfectly fine anyway. I tried to get a 3080 around launch then stopped for a bit to wait for AMD. After getting screwed over by that I went back to trying to get a 3080. Now we are dealing with price hikes and an imminent mining boom for our troubles. If I end up getting a PS5 before I get a 3080 then I may just stop there and be done with all of this.

Had a preorder in for an Asus 3080 with the preinstalled EK block. Originally rang in just under $900, which was around ~$50 steeper than buying my own block and a unicorn Nvidia MSRP 3080. Felt like an OK sting.

Now they raised the price something like $150. Over $1000 for a base 3080 with a base water block...

Back