I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
I've actually been very successful with Best Buy's system. Have secured a 3080 XC3, 3090 FE, and a 5900X through it over the past few weeks. Its actually pretty decent as it incorporates a mini-queue system as well as a 2 step authentication system (text/email) that likely trips up some bots.
wow that seems amazing, grats on all the new hardware :). Now If I could just get a single GPU i would be done for the next 4-5 years.

I've actually been very successful with Best Buy's system. Have secured a 3080 XC3, 3090 FE, and a 5900X through it over the past few weeks. Its actually pretty decent as it incorporates a mini-queue system as well as a 2 step authentication system (text/email) that likely trips up some bots.
Has there been any rhyme or reason to when they show up in stock?

Has there been any rhyme or reason to when they show up in stock?
From my experience, outside of launch days Best Buy usually does their drops around 11 AM EST. Day of the week is random. I just subscribe to Discord notifications and then try my luck. I’ve been lucky on 3 out of the 4 last drops in getting something.

Ladies and gentlemen...it's done. eVGA today out of nowhere (like a Randy Orton RKO) sent me the email to order a GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra. I checked my bank accounts, knew I could easily cover it and it has been ordered! I will be exiting out of the Step-Up Program and my card should be arriving before the end of the week. I'll make sure to post a photo of the arrived card when it gets to my home. Thanks. Out!
Congrats! Enjoy the upgrade.

I was unable to checkout (thanks, regional limits!) from BB with a card today and after spending 1-4AM up with a toddler missed getting up early enough for the 6900 XT launch which is entirely on me.

I did sign up 30s in to the EVGA notify for their 3090 hybrid. I still haven't received a notify from 9/17 sign up on their XC3 3080s so I'm not putting much hope in this plan to get dad a card.

So it seems like the 3080 already has issues with VRAM. I've been playing the COD game that came with the 3080 and everytime it hits 9GB+ it crashes. I basically have to turn off RT for the game to work. I am playing at 4k for reference. I am going to test on my RX6800XT to see how much COD gobbles up.
Do you have your pagefile turned off? Maybe try setting it to Auto, and see what happens?

I have problems with Cold War in Fullscreen mode, for some reason. None whatsoever in Windowed (Full). Same old, really. MW was a broken mess too.

It allocates the full 10GB all the time without crashing, though. (3440x1440 capped at 117 fps)

Well as far as I know the error messages are literally about COD not being able to read something in memory. So I think it is VRAM. For reference the error code I get is 0xC0000005. But the only thing I have changed is to turn off RT and it hasnt crashed at all today, but VRAM hasnt hit close to 9GB yet with RT off.

I got the RX6800XT first but had a lot of issues with drivers so I bought the 3080 and I haven't had any issues except with COD. I have the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra so it would be unfair to really compare a $810 card to a $650. Honestly either card is fine performance wise. Both cards hit my 4k60+ mark. I don't really care for RT but I decided to try it once I got the 3080. I havent set up my LG CX48 yet to play at 4k120 so I will see.
I had loss of textures and tons of crashes on my 3090 with the COD Cold War game.
My swapfile was set small, putting it back to system managed sorted it.
I've seen well over 20GB Vram allocated since, this game likes to keep data ready.
ps using 16GB system ram.

I had loss of textures and tons of crashes on my 3090 with the COD Cold War game.
My swapfile was set small, putting it back to system managed sorted it.
I've seen well over 20GB Vram allocated since, this game likes to keep data ready.
ps using 16GB system ram.
I mean I shouldn’t in theory have issues with the swap file. I have 64gb of system ram. 2x32gb sticks. But I haven’t had issues since turning down the vram target to 70%.

Is there anyone that lives near any of these microcenters and could pick up a waterblock for me? No one has them in stock but these stores claim to have them. Last friday mc allowed you to order on their website for shipping but received an email today that it is out of stock for shipping and was cancelled (ships from distribution center, not from stores directly). Thanks!

Marietta
Overland Park
Cambridge
Rockville
Parkville
Brentwood
Westbury
Flushing
Mayfield Heights
Sharonville

I'm still very happy with the card. Not trying to go off on a rabbit trail here but in the last several days I've had at least two instances where I've been doing something...even browsing the Internet... and the computer suddenly freezes and either auto restarts or goes to a black screen (if I have auto restart disable.) I don't see anything really telling in Event Viewer and I don't see BSODs. Is this potentially a GPU or GPU driver issue? (Going to process of elimination) It hasn't happened in a game yet.

It could be a coincidence but I did not see this prior to installing the 3080 and it's only these few times but it has my attention.

Is there anyone that lives near any of these microcenters and could pick up a waterblock for me? No one has them in stock but these stores claim to have them. Last friday mc allowed you to order on their website for shipping but received an email today that it is out of stock for shipping and was cancelled (ships from distribution center, not from stores directly). Thanks!

Marietta
Overland Park
Cambridge
Rockville
Parkville
Brentwood
Westbury
Flushing
Mayfield Heights
Sharonville
The one in Parkville doesn't have them if you are looking for the 3080 EKWB. I was there yesterday and didn't see it. Rockville to far to drive for me.

The one in Parkville doesn't have them if you are looking for the 3080 EKWB. I was there yesterday and didn't see it. Rockville to far to drive for me.
Thanks for checking.. someone on hardwareswap grabbed one for me... I needed the ek strix 3090 block.

I'm still very happy with the card. Not trying to go off on a rabbit trail here but in the last several days I've had at least two instances where I've been doing something...even browsing the Internet... and the computer suddenly freezes and either auto restarts or goes to a black screen (if I have auto restart disable.) I don't see anything really telling in Event Viewer and I don't see BSODs. Is this potentially a GPU or GPU driver issue? (Going to process of elimination) It hasn't happened in a game yet.

It could be a coincidence but I did not see this prior to installing the 3080 and it's only these few times but it has my attention.
I had a GPU that would black screen because of overheating (fan connector was loose from factory, seated connector, problem solved). I saw someone on the EVGA forum saying they had to make a voltage curve in Afterburner (or equivalent) to keep the voltage on their card from spiking and flipping out. Definitely sounds like a GPU issue, but odd that it isn't happening in games. Try using the OC scanner in MSI Afterburner (I assume similar tools have OC scanner) and then try using the config it comes up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I mean I shouldn’t in theory have issues with the swap file. I have 64gb of system ram. 2x32gb sticks. But I haven’t had issues since turning down the vram target to 70%.

Really curious about this one. Maybe try with non-xmp ram settings. If that works, give the xmp settings a bit more juice. How did it go with the 6800xt?

I had a GPU that would black screen because of overheating (fan connector was loose from factory, seated connector, problem solved). I saw someone on the EVGA forum saying they had to make a voltage curve in Afterburner (or equivalent) to keep the voltage on their card from spiking and flipping out. Definitely sounds like a GPU issue, but odd that it isn't happening in games. Try using the OC scanner in MSI Afterburner (I assume similar tools have OC scanner) and then try using the config it comes up with.

I made a thread about this: https://hardforum.com/threads/pc-suddenly-freezes.2004869/

A bit late posting this, EVGA finally cleared September 17th of their FTW3 Ultra queue last week... 3 months to handle 1 day's worth of orders. All other models have barely moved, they have shipped nearly 0 of the basic Gaming models.

At this rate the queues will literally not finish before the 40 series releases.

I kept flipping between 6800XT and the 3080. I think I may stick with nVidia. I figure some time in March maybe I'll be able to get a card. Who knows./

A bit late posting this, EVGA finally cleared September 17th of their FTW3 Ultra queue last week... 3 months to handle 1 day's worth of orders. All other models have barely moved, they have shipped nearly 0 of the basic Gaming models.

At this rate the queues will literally not finish before the 40 series releases.
I entered for my step up on 09/23. Seems I’ve got a ways to go. I’m ok with that. The 2070 Super FTW3 has been great thus far. My other eVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra has also been great.

I’m guessing it’ll be a bit faster after day 1 queues are done. Assuming the most step ups were entered for day 1.

I kept flipping between 6800XT and the 3080. I think I may stick with nVidia. I figure some time in March maybe I'll be able to get a card. Who knows./

Same.. I might end up team green as well. I need 3 DP ports to drive my monitors and none of the stock AMD cards have this config out of the gate. Signed up for the EVGA notifications on a 10G-P5-3897-KR.

We'll see what availability does.

Same.. I might end up team green as well. I need 3 DP ports to drive my monitors and none of the stock AMD cards have this config out of the gate. Signed up for the EVGA notifications on a 10G-P5-3897-KR.

We'll see what availability does.
Gigabyte also do 3 HDMI + 3 DP.
Not sure if you need the Xtreme version cards but its worth a look.

OUCH. I signed up for a couple of their 3080 cards and their 3090 XC3 Hybrid. Those 3080 queues sound painfully long, I was able to buy the 3090 three days after signing up for auto-notify; not thrilled that I spent that much, but glad I didn't cave to eBay and I figure that should hold me for a while.

eVGA hasn’t even gone through half of day 1 step ups. But scalpers and miners got their cards.

TaintedSquirrel I totally believe what you're saying. Now that I know that I feel even more lucky (and quite blessed) eVGA sent me the email to get my GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra. What it translates to me is that the stock of RTX 30 series that eVGA is getting for themselves still is quite limited. Hopefully stock picks up in the new year not just for nVIDIA and eVGA but all AIBs as well. Out!

I’ve yet to receive a notify email from BB when I signed up for it back before it launched 🤪.

NewEgg had a drop about 10m ago. The ADD TO CART button showed up and "Oops...looks like we have encountered some problem on our end. Please try again in a little while." Then that was it. All gone.

I’ve yet to receive a notify email from BB when I signed up for it back before it launched 🤪.
If I had to take a guess about what happened (as I have a notify me for the same card I got from eVGA themselves) with the Best Buy notifications) I imagine when Best Buy gets stock the scalpers drain it all so quickly that by the time they go to send any availability emails the stock is already sold. I've wondered this about how the bots can work so fast (even with their scripts)? I put a bit of thought into it the last few months really. My thinking is part of the bots' programming (especially if said bot has the ability to buy without logging into the site from an open browser) is to backdoor its way right into the online store's inventory control servers and buy it straight from there directly, dodging the website which in this specific example would be the "middle man". Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong! Out!

Got a notify from EVGA today for an AIO for my 3080 XC3 ultra, and went ahead an bought it. Bit pricey at $110, but what the heck. Not sure if the fans can be controlled with afterburner, or if it can only be done with precision. Guess I'll find out.

I got my hopes up today; BB's site started acting all wonky -- a sure sign SOMETHING was happening...

Well - it was.

XBox and PS-5 were in stock. The site literally froze several times, GPUs appeared to be completely de-listed (as in un-searchable). It was a total mess.

Best I can tell; BB did not get any GPU stock this week.. and a few lucky souls bought consoles.

I got my hopes up today; BB's site started acting all wonky -- a sure sign SOMETHING was happening...

Well - it was.

XBox and PS-5 were in stock. The site literally froze several times, GPUs appeared to be completely de-listed (as in un-searchable). It was a total mess.

Best I can tell; BB did not get any GPU stock this week.. and a few lucky souls bought consoles.
Best Buy normally has done GPU drops every two weeks. The previous 2 weeks have been anomalies as Best Buy did separate drops for the 3060 Ti and 6900 XT launch. We might get a drop this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next one isn't until next week.

Hey everyone! So first off I have to say that I am still totally happy with my 2080ti and obviously everything runs fine on it, and I haven't watched or paid any attention to graphics cards or components since buying it. I knew of the 2080 being a tremendous performance : price increase over what Nvidia was charging for the 2080tis, but just yesterday I had to send in my 2080ti to EVGA to get it RMAed. That being said I was looking at graphics cards and I see that the 3080 despite being out since September is still appearing to be virtually impossible to find anywhere. What's been going on? Is it all scalpers buying up all of them or something? I know the Series X and PS5 are impossible to find now too, but those just launched. I was thinking if I could sell my 2080ti at a reasonable price I could afford a 3080, but with what I am reading here you guys are still obsessively trying to find stock anywhere... so I won't worry about a 3080 and skip out on this generation (which I was planning on doing anyway) because my 2080ti is still really good but needless to say I am really surprised this shit is still so hard to find. I feel for all of you... especially those I saw on Reddit who had sold their 2080tis and other cards in anticipation of buying one at launch and STILL months later not being able to secure one.

What is the news on availability? Is it basically you just get one if you're lucky at this point until some time next year when they are readily available?

Last edited:
Hey everyone! So first off I have to say that I am still totally happy with my 2080ti and obviously everything runs fine on it, and I haven't watched or paid any attention to graphics cards or components since buying it. I knew of the 2080 being a tremendous performance:price increase over what Nvidia was charging for the 2080tis, but just yesterday I had to send in my 2080ti to EVGA to get it RMAed. That being said I was looking at graphics cards and I see that the 3080 despite being out since February is still appearing to be virtually impossible to find anywhere. What's been going on? Is it all scalpers buying up all of them or something? I know the Series X and PS5 are impossible to find now too, but those just launched. I was thinking if I could sell my 2080ti at a reasonable price I could afford a 3080, but with what I am reading here you guys are still obsessively trying to find stock anywhere... so I won't worry about a 3080 and skip out on this generation (which I was planning on doing anyway) because my 2080ti is still really good but needless to say I am really surprised this shit is still so hard to find. I feel for all of you... especially those I saw on Reddit who had sold their 2080tis and other cards in anticipation of buying one at launch and STILL months later not being able to secure one.

What is the news on availability? Is it basically you just get one if you're lucky at this point until some time next year when they are readily available?
3080 released in September, not February.

And availability is still very, very bad all things considered.

Back