I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
Finally my two 3080 TUF OC came through from my local Canada Computers store. Since they've extended replacement returns to end of January, do you guys think I should still do sanity test both for DOA?
Both of them are xmas gifts for my kids. Maybe it would be better to find out DOA sooner than later... ?

thoughts?
I’m running one in my PC that’s for my kid for Christmas. Imagine how upset they’d be if their new 3080 was DOA. As a bonus I get to play around with it until mine comes in.

I’m running one in my PC that’s for my kid for Christmas. Imagine how upset they’d be if their new 3080 was DOA. As a bonus I get to play around with it until mine comes in.
Why not? If you were reselling them, they'd be better off sealed, but if they are gifts for your kids, you're better off knowing whether or not they work.
Thanks Guys that makes sense :)

But that shrink wrap is half the fun!

Come to think of it, not even sure it had some on mine! That's how excited I was.

Fuck it, do it 😎

But that shrink wrap is half the fun!

Come to think of it, not even sure it had some on mine! That's how excited I was.

Fuck it, do it 😎
I will just use kitchen wrap afterwards... LOL... I saw some a post on reddit by a poor guy receiving DOA Strix 3080... With such a high demand I'm sure QA is even worse than usual...

I'm a bit confused right now. I have a 3080 and I installed the drivers. At first I had a start menu item for the nVidia Control Panel. I then ran into some hardware issues and in troubleshooting I uninstalled nVidia drivers and reinstalled. Now I can no longer get the start menu item back no matter how many times I try to uninstall and reinstall. I know you can right click on the desktop and there will be an option there too but I am just confused on how come I'm not getting the start menu shortcut anymore in Windows 10.

Do you guys have a NV CP shortcut in your Win10 start menu?

The Nvidia control panel is downloaded from the windows app store now.
Shouldn't matter though. When you download the DCH drivers it will auto-install the Windows app store NVCP element as well.

Shouldn't matter though. When you download the DCH drivers it will auto-install the Windows app store NVCP element as well.
See, that's what it did, but only twice during my reinstalls. The first time, and then at a random other time when I reinstalled. But none of the others times, and not at the moment. I can download it from the Windows appstore manually but I'm very confused on why it automates it sometimes but not other times... for example if I go to the NV CP right now and in the options uncheck the mark to display the NV CP on desktop right click -> i'd have no way to reopen the control panel. Even typing nvidia in the start search menu doesn't yield results for it. I'd have to dig in program files or something to find the program link manually in Program Files or something. Very odd.

Also, does anyone else's 3080 produce coil whine during gameplay/benchmarks? Moving the character around in a game for example will produce a different pitch whine depending on where you look. So moving the mouse in-game you can hear the coil whine change pitch with mine

Is this something that can go away with time? Any fixes?

My buddy asked me earlier yesterday to help him find parts to finish his new build. He said he’d take a 6800 xt or 3080. Well apparently 3080 isn’t that hard to come by anymore because i just got one. Couldn’t find 6800 xt anywhere though, they must by stuck somewhere in the backloading truck 😂

696F435F-C7B4-40D4-BC40-E2AA02B4E345.png

Last edited:
My buddy asked me earlier yesterday to help him find parts to finish his new build. He said he’d take a 6800 xt or 3080. Well apparently 3080 isn’t that hard to come by anymore because i just got one. Couldn’t find 6800 xt anywhere though, they must by stuck somewhere in the backloading truck 😂

View attachment 303393
Did you pay $1,700 for the 3080? Because that's the asking price on Amazon.

If so...

So installing my gigabyte 3080 and i had heard people mention pushing the power pins out of the connecter, and after several attempts to install the power plugs i can see how that would happen, some of the pins are not centered, used a small flathead to center the off ones and the connector slides right in.

just something to be aware of if you have a card with hard to install connectors, don't muscle it in or it will push the pins out the other side.

I got my 3080 running in a 7820x rig more dialed in for stability than OCs and out of the box with Gsync off and obvious apps like Geforce experience off, I’m just shy of 17k in 3d mark timespy. GPU clocks are running a little shy of 2000. According to the benchmark browser this is lower than average. Cooling is not an issue. Any suggestions- Should I be looking at GPU clocks, memory speed / timing, system settings or something else?

Nice one. I got mine a few weeks ago, after running discord all day with two different trackers, and about 2 weeks ago, there seemed to be stock showing up much more often (of course, as soon as I get mine it becomes more available!). I have since stopped following it on discord, but hope that means more steady shipments with increasing availability for everyone. If you havent got yours yet, I still recommend not feeding scalpers if you can help it, it will be available at MSRP.
Also meant to add in response to some of the disparaging Amazon stuff above - often, you basically have < 1 min after stock shows up on Amazon to complete an order. If you miss that window, it will start showing scalpers (the only ones with stock left). That doesn't mean it wasn't available at MSRP, just not in continuous availability. I find that newegg (especially) and best buy are relatively less agressively 'attacked' by bots than Amazon (or they post more cards at a time). If your goal is to just check once in a while (without a discord or other tracker) and get it whenever, I think that's still out a ways. With a discord tracker running with audio alerts in the background, if you really want one, it will be in and out of availability.

I gained close to 500pts (480 something) by running DDU and fresh nV drivers install.
I got my 3080 running in a 7820x rig more dialed in for stability than OCs and out of the box with Gsync off and obvious apps like Geforce experience off, I’m just shy of 17k in 3d mark timespy. GPU clocks are running a little shy of 2000. According to the benchmark browser this is lower than average. Cooling is not an issue. Any suggestions- Should I be looking at GPU clocks, memory speed / timing, system settings or something else?

Also, does anyone else's 3080 produce coil whine during gameplay/benchmarks? Moving the character around in a game for example will produce a different pitch whine depending on where you look. So moving the mouse in-game you can hear the coil whine change pitch with mine

No fixes and sometimes it can get slightly better over time but that’s not usually the case.

Finally my two 3080 TUF OC came through from my local Canada Computers store. Since they've extended replacement returns to end of January, do you guys think I should still do sanity test both for DOA?
Both of them are xmas gifts for my kids. Maybe it would be better to find out DOA sooner than later... ?

thoughts?

When did you do the full up front cash deposit ??

Undervolting sometimes helps.

I have had my EVGA RTX3080 XC3 for several days now. I was able to get it direct from EVGA after the surprise email showed up last week. So far, I'm extremely happy with it and no problems.

Electrical interference. I don't think anything can fix it, as its baked into the circuitry itself. But you can mitigate it by moving other electronics away from the affected device.

Electrical interference. I don't think anything can fix it, as its baked into the circuitry itself. But you can mitigate it by moving other electronics away from the affected device.
Coil whine is not electrical interference, there is no relationship.
A coil in a transformer is wound round a metal form.
This form is made from plates of metal.
When there is a gap of large enough size between any of the plates to have significance to the frequency passing through the coil, it can whine.
Thats it.

The smaller the gaps between the plates, the higher the frequency noise it can make.
Small enough gaps will make the noise high enough frequency to not hear, but larger gaps can cause freqs we can hear ...

This metal form makes the transformer that changes AC voltage levels for parts of the circuit.
There should be little to no gaps between the plates but some can sneak in.
Its the way of things.

Last edited:
Ok [H] - I want a 3080 before the end of the year, and I really don’t want to encourage the scalpers. What crazy programs do I need to setup to get the alerts and have a chance to buy a 3080 / 3090 / 6800XT / 6900XT in that time frame? Assume I know nothing about doing this, and have no idea why a voice program (discord) would be any good at buying from new egg / Amazon / wherever.

Ok [H] - I want a 3080 before the end of the year, and I really don’t want to encourage the scalpers. What crazy programs do I need to setup to get the alerts and have a chance to buy a 3080 / 3090 / 6800XT / 6900XT in that time frame? Assume I know nothing about doing this, and have no idea why a voice program (discord) would be any good at buying from new egg / Amazon / wherever.

Discord isn't just a voice program; it's main use is group chats. It's very useful for helping you get releases because people set up bots that automatically check webpages for changes. So when an items becomes available, the bots see it and send the server a message notifying everyone it's in stock, in real time. I used this Discord to help me: https://discord.gg/y3Rna29

Do be aware that in the rare event a 3080 does become available, it usually sells out by the time you open the page. You have to be there instantly as soon as the alert goes off, and even then you have very little chance to get it in time. Get an auto form filler to fill out your billing info and name/address for you, and be logged in already. After enough attempts you may get it. You do need to spend a lot of time on it, checking once or twice a day isn't going to net you a card. If you have a Micro Center near you that's probably the best bet. They seem to be getting more and more 3080s now. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://github.com/jef/streetmerchant

It won't buy the card for you, but can open a browser window as soon as it's available.

I do not see a 3080 Ti anywhere near $749-799. It’s going to compete against the 6900XT which is priced at $999. Nvidia is not at a point where they need to price below the competition, they can match it and do completely fine.

I hear you,but the 6800XT trades blows with the 3080 and beats its on occasion, and has 16Gb of VRAM.

Picked up a FTW3 3080 at Microcenter this morning. I wanted a 6800xt but looks like the 3080 beats it at 4k. Plus not going to turn away an in stock card at a half reasonable price :)

Just missed a ASUS 3080 OC around noon today on Amazon. No "Buy it now" button, 1 listing by Amazon at $750 + a bunch of scalper listings. Clicked add to cart on the Amazon one and it hung for a bit, then when I refreshed the cart it showed "issues/changes to your cart" = out of stock :[

I feel like neither company needs to do anything while they are selling every card made. Personally I think the value prop on the 6800xt is a real question marks for me personally- it’s not outright faster, it is slower at RT is missing DLSS ; on the plus side it has a reasonable 16GB and it is awesome to see a competitive card from AMD.

I picked up 500 points stock clocks on timespy graphics score with a DDU reinstall and small mem tweaks as others suggested, I will try under volting and overclocking soon.

Last edited:
I hear you,but the 6800XT trades blows with the 3080 and beats its on occasion, and has 16Gb of VRAM.
And the 3080 Ti will trade blows with the 6900XT, not the 6800XT. It’ll have 20GB of VRAM and the 6900XT will have 16GB. Almost an identical match which means it would only be logical to price it against the 6900XT and not the 6800XT.

Last edited:
Picked up a FTW3 3080 at Microcenter this morning. I wanted a 6800xt but looks like the 3080 beats it at 4k. Plus not going to turn away an in stock card at a half reasonable price :)
I picked one up yesterday from Microcenter as well. I didn't realize it used 3 8pins, now I have to order another cable from Cablemod for my PSU. My card doesnt have the ugly red lip though looks like they removed it for the latest cards?

Good you got it. But please don't pretend like you didn't get it at the right time. You make it sound like anyone can go and buy it whenever they want. I have yet to go to website in two months and see 3080 ready to buy lol. So yea they are still hard to come by lol. And I have checked amazon, bestbuy, newegg every fucking day lol.

Keep an eye on 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I got 2 3090’s from different sellers at retail price. Most of the time there are scalpers but I’ve seen regular retail stock pop up from trustworthy smaller sellers.

And the 3080 Ti will trade blows with the 6900XT, not the 6800XT. It’ll have 20GB of VRAM and the 6900XT will have 16GB. Almost an identical match which means it would only be logical to price it against the 6900XT and not the 6800XT.

well there is not much of a difference between 3080 and 3090 anyways. I think people are confused I highly doubt there will be a 3080ti unless nvidia kills 3090. Given the difference in performance and the chip size. It will just be 3080 with 20GB at 999.99. I highly doubt you are going to get super or Ti until there is a full refresh next september or so.

Back