I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
I wish it was enough. This big ole 34 inch 3440x1440 monitor is gonna tear this card up on newer games.
As a fellow 3440x1440 user I can relate. I'll find out next week at some point when I'll finally get to see an EVGA 3080 FTW3 ULTRA arrive and replace the 2 x Titan Xp's I've been running since those launched.

Can't wait to crunch some CUDA stuff with it and see how it compares. :)

Sadly, it likely won't get installed until after Thanksgiving even if it shows up earlier. Damnable holidays getting in my way. :p

Last edited:
I'm gonna wait it out till after the holidays. I might treat myself on my b'day in January to a 3080. I'm gonna try my best not to pay inflated pricing. The mythical 3080ti might appear by then. If not, a decent 2080ti might be the better buy for me. I play at 1440 anyhows on a 32" screen.

Whoa, you're really going for the rare parts build 2020 aren't you? I was looking for that board ever since all the reviews drop and stock for it is mythical. Now I see them for $350...lol

yeah I was planning this build for a few months so I slowly started gathering the parts because I knew Zen 3 wasn't coming until October/November...luckily I was able to snag that board back in September...the RTX 3080 is going to be the most difficult to get but I'll just use my current GTX 1070 in the meanwhile

yeah I was planning this build for a few months so I slowly started gathering the parts because I knew Zen 3 wasn't coming until October/November...luckily I was able to snag that board back in September...the RTX 3080 is going to be the most difficult to get but I'll just use my current GTX 1070 in the meanwhile
That's a good plan. I was using my 1080 before I got the 3080. I then sold my 2017 rig via OfferUp once I got everything and was able to finish the build. Check out Newegg for their combo deals on the 3080. That's how I managed to snag this one. The GB Vision was not something I was aiming for but at that point, any 3080 would do for me, lol.

Whoa, you're really going for the rare parts build 2020 aren't you? I was looking for that board ever since all the reviews drop and stock for it is mythical. Now I see them for $350...lol
This probably does not help you, but there are a ton of that board in stock at canadacomputers.com, how can they be so hard to get else ware. maybe they will ship international?

That's a good plan. I was using my 1080 before I got the 3080. I then sold my 2017 rig via OfferUp once I got everything and was able to finish the build. Check out Newegg for their combo deals on the 3080. That's how I managed to snag this one. The GB Vision was not something I was aiming for but at that point, any 3080 would do for me, lol.

I'm being very picky as far as the 3080- I only want the Asus TUF, Gigabyte Master/Extreme or MSI Gaming Trio X...Newegg seems to be mostly offering bundles

I wasn't being picky at all. I actually had a 3090 TUF OC on order from Amazon that was apparently backordered. I kept looking, and by some miracle, I managed to snag a 3080 FE from Best Buy on the first day they started carrying them. I know that there are other cards out there that perform better, but I don't honestly care. The 3080 FE looks badass and has a ton of overclocking room as well.

Since the 3080 FE arrived, Amazon finally got around to shipping me the 3090 TUF OC (I cancelled the order), and I got 2 email notifications from EVGA for their 3090s (ignored both of them). No regrets here.

I'm being very picky as far as the 3080- I only want the Asus TUF, Gigabyte Master/Extreme or MSI Gaming Trio X...Newegg seems to be mostly offering bundles
Yah, I've been on a backorder with an online shop for the Asus TUF 3080 since release day, no luck or ETA. Can't complain about the 3080 GB Vision OC tho. Beautiful looking card and seems to perform okay.
This probably does not help you, but there are a ton of that board in stock at canadacomputers.com, how can they be so hard to get else ware. maybe they will ship international?
Ah, already bought an X570 in its place, if I do upgrade, it'll be the Dark Hero or whatever new toys coming out.

As a fellow 3440x1440 user I can relate. I'll find out next week at some point when I'll finally get to see an EVGA 3080 FTW3 ULTRA arrive and replace the 2 x Titan Xp's I've been running since those launched.

Can't wait to crunch some CUDA stuff with it and see how it compares. :)

Sadly, it likely won't get installed until after Thanksgiving even if it shows up earlier. Damnable holidays getting in my way. :p
I was waiting for the 3080 but never got the email from evga. I was hoping it was for the 3080 but when I clicked the link it showed a 3070 so I grabbed it. At least this way I’ve got 90 days to enter the step up program. If they release a 3070ti/3080ti I can step up to that and just pay the difference.
The xc3 cards are decent looking, I signed up for each model thru evga and the ftw3 was the first to show that’s why I went with it. Not like I’m gonna be keeping this card anyways, it’s a place holder til I can step up to a beefier card. At least it’s stronger than the 2080 I had in the pc before it.

Reactions: Damar
like this
For the first time I could have bought one, but it was a BS newegg combo deal. I refuse to pay $100 extra for a power supply I don't need.
You can return it and pay a fee, or lie and tell them it's defective with no fee. Also some people said you can just delete the bundle item from cart at checkout but I assume that's just a bug.

For the first time I could have bought one, but it was a BS newegg combo deal. I refuse to pay $100 extra for a power supply I don't need.
Shit you should of bought it, sell the psu on here or somewhere else. You could of have bought it and passed. Bad move

You can return it and pay a fee, or lie and tell them it's defective with no fee. Also some people said you can just delete the bundle item from cart at checkout but I assume that's just a bug.
You actually don't need to worry about paying a restocking fee. You simply go into your order history once received and return as normal. It'll ask you if you opened it and you just click "no". You just pay for a prepaid label which is around $10-$14 bucks. Once they receive it, they review and give you your funds back to your original form of payment.

I've done it on the PSU when buying the 3080 bundle. I'm in the process of returning a motherboard that came with the 5900x bundle.

The poll numbers are still quite worrying. It seems many more than 54 have the cards now. Is it possible to change your vote.

Yes KickAssCop you can change your vote. It was on a different forum post related to getting an RTX 30 series card on this forum that I did but I did. Just click the Change Vote button and there you are. Thanks. Out!

Ended up getting a Gigabyte Aorus 3080 Xtreme WB ... Points to note.
- It looks nice
- Unlike the Aorus Xtreme aircooled version. It only have 2 PCIe power inputs, not 3 ! Suspect power limit is lower !
- It seems like only the 1st HDMI port supports 4K 120. @#!#! Update: only 2 of the 3 HDMI ports support HDMI 2.1

Last edited:
- It looks nice
- Unlike the Aorus Xtreme aircooled version. It only have 2 PCIe power inputs, not 3 ! Suspect power limit is lower !
- It seems like only the 1st HDMI port supports 4K 120. @#!#!

Output
DisplayPort 1.4a *3
HDMI 2.1*2, HDMI 2.0*1 (The middle HDMI output supports up to HDMI 2.0)

- It looks nice
- It seems like only the 1st HDMI port supports 4K 120. @#!#! Update: only 2 of the 3 HDMI ports support HDMI 2.1
Those aorus cards are awesome looking. I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Luckily evga came thru for me

I gave up trying to get a 3080 because this week some 3090s appeared in the shops, I snapped up an Aorus Xtreme quick smart!
Thats the first time I have seen any stock you can buy.
After realising I might not even have a card by Christmas, its a real relief to finally have it sorted, and not worry about wanting a 3080ti later.
This kind of relief costs silly money.

Managed to grab an Asus tuf 3080 last Thursday. I had to grab it in a bundle with a b550 motherboard (thaaaaanks newegg). I'm too damn lazy to return the MB so I'll probably end up upgrading my media center with it and a spare 1700x I've got laying around.

Managed to grab an Asus tuf 3080 last Thursday. I had to grab it in a bundle with a b550 motherboard (thaaaaanks newegg). I'm too damn lazy to return the MB so I'll probably end up upgrading my media center with it and a spare 1700x I've got laying around.
Not sure you can run a first gen Ryzen on that board.

Grats on the Tuf.

Not sure you can run a first gen Ryzen on that board.

Grats on the Tuf.

Hey, thanks for the heads up, saved me a headache! Looks like I'll be swapping the wifes x470 MB for the b500 and shuffling that to the media center instead.

- It looks nice
Yeah the Xtreme aircooled is a beast - it's actually more like a 4 slot card.

If it uses the same BIOS, it should do 450w with an update.

You also have to realize that $999 will be the base price of the FE model. AIB models tend to be $25-50 more because of "custom cooling" solutions, upgraded components etc.
If people buy the AIB model "upgraded" versions, you're gonna need to add an extra $100 or more too.
So an AIB 3080 TI FTW3 is going to cost more like $1100-1200 rather than $999. So it's not just an extra 100-150. It's more like $200-250 more than an equivalent 3080. Is it worth it? That depends on the buyer. But let's be realistic, it will cost an extra $200 and up to get the equivalent 3080 Ti version.

Nah. I say if there is a Ti,it will be 749 to 799 USD Max,as AMD is putting the screws to nVIDIA and Jensun will need to hold the line on pricing ,somewhat.. imho.

As an aside,my XC3 has given me three black screens this week,in win10 desktop and in Ghostrunner,needed a reboot each time.
This on HDMI,hoping to not have to RMA this thing, it was hard to get.

Nah. I say if there is a Ti,it will be 749 to 799 USD Max,as AMD is putting the screws to nVIDIA and Jensun will need to hold the line on pricing ,somewhat.. imho.

As an aside,my XC3 has given me three black screens this week,in win10 desktop and in Ghostrunner,needed a reboot each time.
This on HDMI,hoping to not have to RMA this thing, it was hard to get.
I do not see a 3080 Ti anywhere near $749-799. It’s going to compete against the 6900XT which is priced at $999. Nvidia is not at a point where they need to price below the competition, they can match it and do completely fine.

I do not see a 3080 Ti anywhere near $749-799. It’s going to compete against the 6900XT which is priced at $999. Nvidia is not at a point where they need to price below the competition, they can match it and do completely fine.
Yeah, I see this also. The $750-$800 price range is the area where 3rd party cards play. They can charge for their specific innovations and tech on top of the baseline price of the $699 3080.

$1K is a good fit for the 3080Ti imo.

I bought a Asus 3080 TUF OC. It has a BIOS switch on top for performance, and quiet modes.

Question:
-what exactly does it do? Yeah quiet modes will lower fan RPM and reduce performance sure, but what are the numbers?

-does it work while in Windows/gaming, or is it something you need to shutdown the PC for, flip the switch, and reboot?

There's no manual with this info =/

I bought a Asus 3080 TUF OC. It has a BIOS switch on top for performance, and quiet modes.

Question:
-what exactly does it do? Yeah quiet modes will lower fan RPM and reduce performance sure, but what are the numbers?

-does it work while in Windows/gaming, or is it something you need to shutdown the PC for, flip the switch, and reboot?

There's no manual with this info =/
You'll have to reboot after switching it or at least this is how my 2070 Super Strix works.

More info on performance, noise, and temp differences can be found on TPU.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc/30.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc/31.html

Finally my two 3080 TUF OC came through from my local Canada Computers store. Since they've extended replacement returns to end of January, do you guys think I should still do sanity test both for DOA?
Both of them are xmas gifts for my kids. Maybe it would be better to find out DOA sooner than later... ?

thoughts?

Finally my two 3080 TUF OC came through from my local Canada Computers store. Since they've extended replacement returns to end of January, do you guys think I should still do sanity test both for DOA?
Both of them are xmas gifts for my kids. Maybe it would be better to find out DOA sooner than later... ?

thoughts?

Why not? If you were reselling them, they'd be better off sealed, but if they are gifts for your kids, you're better off knowing whether or not they work.

Back