I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
So just picked up the 3080 at microcenter. I came on a 34" Acer Predator 3440 x 1440

I'm hoping I notice a big improvement in performance going from my current GTX 1070 to this new RTX 3080.

And now it says ship date of 11/2. Before it was 10/30. So we'll see what that means.

614F1059-FAC6-4015-890A-F16A4FF9E2D1.jpeg

Silly question, so I have 3 Display Ports on the back of the card, does it matter which one I plug my cable into? I plugged into the middle DP port, not sure if there's a specific one I should be in or not?

Actually yes Zorachus. If you have a G-Sync ready monitor it does matter which DisplayPort input you plug the monitor into. For a G-Sync monitor to work and give full G-Sync capabilities to you with your GeForce card you need to plug it into what is considered DisplayPort input port 1 on your GeForce card. I know because I've owned 2 G-Sync monitors and have learned from experience (read: trial and error) that if you plug your G-Sync monitor into anything but DisplayPort input port 1 on a compatible GeForce video card you won't be able to use G-Sync. Out!

I was able to buy an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Friday morning at the KC Microcenter after showing up hours before opening. Hooked it up to my LG CX and 𝐍eeded a FW update on the display to get 4K 120 g sync. Still having issues with hdmi cables so do all you can to get that sorted before you get your card.

I was able to buy an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Friday morning at the KC Microcenter after showing up hours before opening. Hooked it up to my LG CX and 𝐍eeded a FW update on the display to get 4K 120 g sync. Still having issues with hdmi cables so do all you can to get that sorted before you get your card.

What sort of issues are you having. I'm still waiting for my CX to arrive. They must be so popular. I've been waiting for a month so far.

What sort of issues are you having. I'm still waiting for my CX to arrive. They must be so popular. I've been waiting for a month so far.
There’s a thread on it. It’s not fully baked yet, especially on most AVR receivers. Various sync and compatibility problems.

I had crazy white flashes before the LG update that would induce seizures for sure. After the update zero white flashes. I still have a few vertical sparkles that are intermittent and I am blaming them on HDMI cables for now. More cables on the way. I also have noticed a problem with blacks that seem to be kind of crushed/blocky in some instances or maybe it is similar to banding. I need to do some more looking and research. I noticed this more on Control than say Witcher 3 for example. I am very critical of displays so I need to say that overall the LGCX is absolutely gorgeous. I am coming from an Alienware 34 inch ultra wide.

There’s a thread on it. It’s not fully baked yet, especially on most AVR receivers. Various sync and compatibility problems.
Yes you are correct. In fact I am planning on avoiding going through the AVR all together. I am just going to use E ARC instead until the 2.1 issues are solved. HDMI is a real pain.

Shipped! Arrives tomorrow. Now to debate swapping it for the 3090 someone offered me (3080+cash for the 3090)- Gigabyte to Zotac though. Hmm.

Shipped! Arrives tomorrow. Now to debate swapping it for the 3090 someone offered me (3080+cash for the 3090)- Gigabyte to Zotac though. Hmm.
I would hard pass, I have a feeling this maybe a shorter than normal product cycle with the pressure of actual competition this gen.

Just picked up a ROG Strix 3080 at my local Microcenter in Columbus, OH. They had a "couple" of these as well as a 3080 Tuf, Zotac 3090 and also a Strix 3090.

Almost went for the 3090 but thought better of it. Good luck to all.

Does Microcenter update their website for the 3080's near you? I have been checking my local microcenter's website and the 3080s are always greyed out. Maybe they are getting them in and selling out of them before they get a chance to update their website?

Does Microcenter update their website for the 3080's near you? I have been checking my local microcenter's website and the 3080s are always greyed out. Maybe they are getting them in and selling out of them before they get a chance to update their website?
No. Microcenter is only selling ampere in store in Kansas City from what I’ve seen.

Mine had not. They have been listing the 3070 as "limited stock," however.

I just picked up EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING from my local store Central Computer today, it is HUGE when I compare to my Asus ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING. I am wondering if I am able to sell the 2080.

Hmm a 3080 Ti with 20GB is a tantalizing prospect. So it's going to have the same 320bit bus as the 3080 but have as many cuda cores as the 3090? Pricing? I would guess it would have to start at $999. I don't think Nvidia can get away with a $1200 price tag when the Radeon 6900XT trades blows with the 3090.
The 6900xt only trades blows wirh rage mode enabled and that special thing it does wirh amd cpus only. But I get your point. Still, this is just a rumor. If they can release 3090s and 3080tis wirh full Cuda cores, yields must be pretty good.

The 6900xt only trades blows wirh rage mode enabled and that special thing it does wirh amd cpus only. But I get your point. Still, this is just a rumor. If they can release 3090s and 3080tis wirh full Cuda cores, yields must be pretty good.
I was actually expecting a cutdown 3090 rather than a beefed up 3080. Yes this does pose the question what happens with the 'not good enough' 3090 gpus. Or is the 3080 already the discarded version of the 3090?

Or is the 3080 Ti a worse binned 3090? Who knows. But considering the 3080 Ti is on a 320 bit bus rather than 384 bit it feels like an upscaled 3080. Weird. Can you even shoehorn a badly binned 3090 chip into a 320 bit bus?

picked up evga rtx 3080 xc3 ultra through the notification system just now so it seems there system kinda works but very slow.

Last edited:
I was actually expecting a cutdown 3090 rather than a beefed up 3080. Yes this does pose the question what happens with the 'not good enough' 3090 gpus. Or is the 3080 already the discarded version of the 3090?

Or is the 3080 Ti a worse binned 3090? Who knows. But considering the 3080 Ti is on a 320 bit bus rather than 384 bit it feels like an upscaled 3080. Weird. Can you even shoehorn a badly binned 3090 chip into a 320 bit bus?
3080 is a cut down 3090. I think the 3090 is 3% from full die iirc. “Discarded” might be a little drastic of a word lol. Some chips may be ok as a 3090 some not I imagine it depends on demand.

picked up evga rtx 3080 xc3 ultra through the notification system just now so it seems there system kinda works but very slow.
Got my notification and ordered today too for the XC3 Ultra. I have another 3080 coming as well. Gotta decide if I want to keep both for different systems or keep one and sell off the other.

Back