I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
polonyc2 What you're thinking of doing I've already done. Amazon has a shipment of eVGA 2070 Supers coming in during the middle of this month. I'm ordering one and will use it to Step Up to the 3080. eVGA does have the 3080 FTW3 Ultra eligible in their Step Up program right now. Now it's a question of fulfilling a Step Up for it once one comes in. Out!
You may be too late sir. I was so mad when Fedex delayed my 2060 delivery from 9/30 to 10/3, signed up to step up even before I installed the card and am still looking at Dec at the earliest. 3 days is forever in step up world. I also (probably?) signed up for notifications on their site past few weeks and then again within a few minutes of the announcement yesterday , not sure even that will come before Thanksgiving. If you are planning to start your step up late Oct, it will be a very long wait the way things stand. Unless Oct 28 brings a good surprise :)

MSI...scalping their own 3080 cards...for what reason exactly? Is there financial report going to look so bad next quarter that now they are just making up the difference by scalping their own cards? I quote teh_pwnerer from Pure Pwnage to this revelation: "LOL...LOL...LOLOLOLOLOL!" One more thing: undertaker2k8 I did get my RTX 2070 Super from Amazon. It's shipping as soon as this Friday. Out!

MSI...scalping their own 3080 cards...for what reason exactly? Is there financial report going to look so bad next quarter that now they are just making up the difference by scalping their own cards? I quote teh_pwnerer from Pure Pwnage to this revelation: "LOL...LOL...LOLOLOLOLOL!" One more thing: undertaker2k8 I did get my RTX 2070 Super from Amazon. It's shipping as soon as this Friday. Out!
Register it for step up the second you get it. Best of luck to all of us lol.

Ok, MSI has issued a statement blah blah blah, individual error. I'm tired of the crap, Starlit is a subsidiary of theirs . All the evidence pointed there but from the mods to Hardware Unboxed were defending them saying it was a scammers account. How dumb do they think people are??? This account with paperwork ties to MSI going back to 2014 with only ever selling MSI products on ebay and Amazon. MSI acknowledges and what do these techtubers of the the people give us? We get smooth brain spin from Gamer's Nexus and Hardware Unboxed acting like they never said it was a scammer. We are screwed if they only one that seemed serious about this was Linus.

Here are the links if you want to watch the world burn some more.

Original post that was deleted at first then restored after seeing Linus say there was more to it than it being nothing and reporting it to Nvidia

MSI caught Scalping

Last edited:
polonyc2 What you're thinking of doing I've already done. Amazon has a shipment of eVGA 2070 Supers coming in during the middle of this month. I'm ordering one and will use it to Step Up to the 3080. eVGA does have the 3080 FTW3 Ultra eligible in their Step Up program right now. Now it's a question of fulfilling a Step Up for it once one comes in. Out!

I ordered a 2070 Super FTW3 weeks ago and signed up for step up as soon as I got it to the 3080 FTW3. I’ve been in the queue since 09/23 and haven’t heard anything since. There’s an unofficial step up thread at the eVGA forums with users posting their initial step up and progression through the process and etc. Based on what I’ve seen only people who started the step up on 09/17 are getting their cards now.

Obviously that doesn’t mean much as they could suddenly start plowing through thousands of people in the queue at any given time but I’m assuming I’ll be lucky to get my step up card by late November or early December. I’m happy with renting the 2070 Super until my time though.

I got one of those emails from EVGA with the special link and was able to order the FTW3 Ultra gaming. Took a while since the site kept crashing but i got confirmation email of success just now.

I'm happy they are doing this. I signed up for all Xc3 models and the FTW ultra on the day they went live. Hopefully this means I'll see an email soon.

Has anyone bought the Gigabyte Aorus 3080? Does it still have the bad capacitor layout or does it actually have some MLC capacitors? I know that their 3090 model went with all SP-caps. Considering that the Aorus Master costs $150 more than MSRP it would be criminal if it didn't have an upgraded capacitor layout.

Has anyone bought the Gigabyte Aorus 3080? Does it still have the bad capacitor layout or does it actually have some MLC capacitors? I know that their 3090 model went with all SP-caps. Considering that the Aorus Master costs $150 more than MSRP it would be criminal if it didn't have an upgraded capacitor layout.
I think they’ve determined the cap gate fiasco was basically bad info. The SP caps survive higher heat levels, and actually cost more. The MLC caps can possibly stop some electrical interference/noise, but in the end none of it makes much difference as to ability to overclock, and the original issue has been fixed by drivers already by slightly lowering the aggressiveness of the boost clocks. If there’s any relevance, it wasn’t what it was originally made out to be.

Newegg hasn't restocked the XC3's in 2 straight weeks. Not a single card. None in EVGA's store either, I'm pretty sure.

I think EVGA suspended production on them and is only making FTW now.

Newegg hasn't restocked the XC3's in 2 straight weeks. Not a single card. None in EVGA's store either, I'm pretty sure.

I have an open order with Amazon for a 3080 XC3 since Sep 22nd. Originally had a delivery by date of October 16th and now it doesn’t even have an estimated date anymore.

Restocks of all 3080s in general has REALLY dried up this last week. I heard something about a Chinese holiday slowing down shipments.
I would think supply would start actually improving 3 weeks after launch, not get worse. Jacob also said they had big shipments going out last week and... nothing happened.

Welp, just when I came to peace with not getting a card until 2021, EVGA sent me an email to purchase an EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA. It'll be here Friday. :)
Very nice, congrats on being able to order a card.

I think they’ve determined the cap gate fiasco was basically bad info. The SP caps survive higher heat levels, and actually cost more. The MLC caps can possibly stop some electrical interference/noise, but in the end none of it makes much difference as to ability to overclock, and the original issue has been fixed by drivers already by slightly lowering the aggressiveness of the boost clocks. If there’s any relevance, it wasn’t what it was originally made out to be.

I think the final word is that it's best to have a mix of MLCC and SP-Caps...

isn't the 3080 FTW model the one that's available as a Step-Up card?...how does EVGA allocate which cards go out to retail and which ones are used as Step-Up replacements?

isn't the 3080 FTW model the one that's available as a Step-Up card?...how does EVGA allocate which cards go out to retail and which ones are used as Step-Up replacements?
How do they allocate which go into their own EVGA store as well? I'm guessing they work out deals with e-tailers.

I'm becoming very leery of Amazon these days. Starting to look less 'professional' and many 'etailers' seem to be fronts for EBay like resellers or Chinese 'stores' rather than what I've traditionally thought of Amazon being (i.e reliable).
No, just pay attention to who it's being fulfilled by and make sure it's Amazon.

Checked the retailers and most seem to have the next delivery 4th Jan 2021. That's a while. MSI Trio X is stated for late Nov, but that too is quite a while to wait.
So I'll see what AMD has to offer in a month, else I might just keep my 2080Ti since it's plenty powerful and works for MMORPGs at 4k/120hz and maxed out details (WoW, ESO, SW:TOR all work fine at 4k/120hz and max details).

BUT!
I must admit the whole thing seems fishy AF. The demand is high but it can't be that high to have everything out of stock until 2021. I suspect Nvidia is just not making enough GPUs and is somehow affecting the partners as well so no custom cards either.
The real release date is once AMD has their cards out.
3070 16gb and 3080 20gb are probably the cards that were supposed to be the real release. 3080 10gb was just a paper launch of Ampere. Nvidia most likely doesn't put much effort into those cards.

The Backplate covers the layout, so I have no idea sorry.

Attachments

• 20201007_143307.jpg
    20201007_143307.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201007_143508.jpg
    20201007_143508.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201007_143517.jpg
    20201007_143517.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201007_153530.jpg
    20201007_153530.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 0
Numbers from a single retailer in DK:
https://www.proshop.dk/RTX-30series-overview?pn=2

Kundebestil. = Order by customer
Bestilt hos prod. = Order at manufactor
Undervejs = Shipped from manufactor
Modtaget og afsendt* = recivied and shipped to customer.

So they have received and shipped:
344 x 3080's
78 x 3090's

They have cards incomming:
70 x 3080
55 x 3090

But they also state they have had a demand outstripping anything they have seen before.
Their webshop crashed at +3800 orders on launchday
So far they mention they have ordered the following numbers of cards from manufactors:

8400 x 3080's
1095 x 3090's

And again, they state this kind of demand is unheard of for them.

That's absolutely insane. So how many orders are STILL actually pending for them?

Has there been a count so far? Sauce?
Kyle mentioned that he's been hearing 8K-10K have been shipped/sold a few days ago, but now I don't recall if it was WW or just NA. He has his industry sources.

So has anyone been able to buy a 3080 or 3090 from Best Buy’s website. I’ve been checking everyday since launch and no go. Went to a few local BB and only cards left were 1650 and 1660 supers.

Back