I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
I received this alert from Amazon this morning at 4:08 am. I immediately checked at 4:08 am and they were out of stock already. Bots?

View attachment 284917
Discord/Distill notifications went off for the card at 5:03 AM EDT. I'm assuming you're central time so you got the email 5 minutes after other people knew it was in stock and about 4 minutes too late because they sold out.

I had the Ventus at the final checkout button in cart on Newegg but decided to abort and wait for the Aorus. Didn't even see the Aorus go in stock before it sold out. Oh well. Also I think it blocked my IP from simple F5ing.

Returning the 2070 Super I bought for the step-up program as I was super lucky to get A TUF 3080 non oc. It says it doesn't arrive until Dec 7th but that's fine with me. Last PC upgraded and I'm out of this search for ampere cards. Will now focus on what AMD has for us. If the put an intriguing card out then my nephew's can stop sharing a gaming pc and I'll build a 4th.

I had the Ventus at the final checkout button in cart on Newegg but decided to abort and wait for the Aorus. Didn't even see the Aorus go in stock before it sold out. Oh well. Also I think it blocked my IP from simple F5ing.
Same thing happened to me. I got blocked but switched browsers and could get to the site again.

I've been using Distill via Opera with VPN enabled. Then I have Chrome open at the store page and logged into my account.

Something happened with Gigabyte Master and people are... mad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/j47dcn/gigabyte_can_go_fuck_itself_with_a_barbedwire

Newegg dropped a bunch of cards tonight. No XC3. :(

Yep few of my buddies are mad too alogn with me. I wasn't really too sure about buying but hype was getting to me lol. I did try to do it. But how the fuck do they not get a link right? He updated the link like 8 mins after launch and shit was out of stock already. Like they all jebaited us. Their rep explained but either way the fuck up is on them even if newegg fucked them over. Newegg was suppose to live monitor the orders lol. But hey we will just give you a bad link and let it sell out and update you afterwards. Fuck these guys lol.

Pretty glad the company I ordered mine from is being a bit pro-active and so if stock comes in they're offering some to people that ordered other ones that don't have an ETA etc.

Been told November for my 3090 though. Laaaaaaaame

So Newegg posted some cards since yesterday to be in stock. Now the $64,000 question: How long did they stay in stock? 60 seconds? 6 seconds? 36 seconds? 3 seconds? Out!

So Newegg posted some cards since yesterday to be in stock. Now the $64,000 question: How long did they stay in stock? 60 seconds? 6 seconds? 36 seconds? 3 seconds? Out!

Less than 10 seconds I would estimate. Even moving as fast as humanly possible, you can still miss out going through the checkout process. Some people say using the mobile app + ApplePay is the best bet, but I don't have an iDevice, sooo...

The bigger issue is Newegg's site taking a massive shit whenever there is a known card drop.

I thought when you are in the Checkout phase the product stays in your queue for a limited amount of time (2:00 minutes or so)?...Amazon does that I believe...

so which 3080 card is considered the best?

I thought when you are in the Checkout phase the product stays in your queue for a limited amount of time (2:00 minutes or so)?...Amazon does that I believe...

so which 3080 card is considered the best?
If you haven’t decided that yet, then those of us who have spent two weeks trying to get anything don’t need to steer you to it. ;)

now that said. Here’s the honest answer...The Asus Strix or Gigabyte Aorus (4 slot cooler!!) are probably the best, since they have the biggest beefiest cooling, but they just released very recently and there isn’t much in the way of reviews on them yet. They will run you about $850. Of the original launch stuff the Asus Tuf at $700 is considered the best value and EVGA FTW is considered probably the best of that first round at $810.

Amazon is probably the only one that stays in your cart. I can tell for for certain from personal experience bestbuy, Newegg, EVGA, Zotac, and Nvidia all let the product be stolen from you out of your cart...if you’re lucky you’ll get to add it to your cart before the bots get them all, or the websites crash. If you are like about 95%-99% of us — that’s as far as you get. I’m starting to see some people get them in the discord channels tonight. It should still continue to get easier to get one through this month.

Last edited:
If you haven’t decided that yet, then those of us who have spent two weeks trying to get anything don’t need to steer you to it. ;)

now that said. Here’s the honest answer...The Asus Strix or Gigabyte Aorus (4 slot cooler!!) are probably the best, since they have the biggest beefiest cooling, but they just released very recently and there isn’t much in the way of reviews on them yet. They will run you about $850. Of the original launch stuff the Asus Tuf at $700 is considered the best value and EVGA FTW is considered probably the best of that first round at $810.

I originally was set on getting the Gigabyte G1 Gaming edition 3080 because Gigabyte cards have never steered me wrong in recent years...I'm not even sure there is a G1 Gaming version of the 3080...but once all the ruckus about MLL caps vs POSCAPS thing started the Gigabyte cards were lumped into the 'bad' group...but now it looks like that was all much ado about nothing as it seems it was a driver issue

Had the aorus master, but newegg crashed when paypal kicked me back to confirm order. Lost the card.

Had the aorus master, but newegg crashed when paypal kicked me back to confirm order. Lost the card.

I was part of that scrum and never even saw it in stock bc Gigabyte Brian screwed up the link on Reddit. I'm not a Gigabyte guy but that card looked sweet, I would have tried it if I could have gotten one.

I was part of that scrum and never even saw it in stock bc Gigabyte Brian screwed up the link on Reddit. I'm not a Gigabyte guy but that card looked sweet, I would have tried it if I could have gotten one.

It's hilarious to me that a 300+ billion dollar tech company that is trying to make a push against Intel is almost completely reliant on Newegg for the biggest release it has had in two tech generations.

It's hilarious to me that a 300+ billion dollar tech company that is trying to make a push against Intel is almost completely reliant on Newegg for the biggest release it has had in two tech generations.

Oh, no don't assume that. You're just hearing about Newegg because they're the most visible. We've been tracking ALL the sites and Nvidia have been moving tons of cards, Amazon actually has been moving cards, EVGA's own web site store has moved many thousands of cards, Zotac's site has sold a bunch. It's just... crazy. And every one of them go out of stock or crash within the same few seconds of cards go live. It's the same at every one of them.

Oh, no don't assume that. You're just hearing about Newegg because they're the most visible. We've been tracking ALL the sites and Nvidia have been moving tons of cards, Amazon actually has been moving cards, EVGA's own web site store has moved many thousands of cards, Zotac's site has sold a bunch. It's just... crazy. And every one of them go out of stock or crash within the same few seconds of cards go live. It's the same at every one of them.

How are you tracking them?

I originally was set on getting the Gigabyte G1 Gaming edition 3080 because Gigabyte cards have never steered me wrong in recent years...I'm not even sure there is a G1 Gaming version of the 3080...but once all the ruckus about MLL caps vs POSCAPS thing started the Gigabyte cards were lumped into the 'bad' group...but now it looks like that was all much ado about nothing as it seems it was a driver issue

It's not just a driver issue. It's a physical capacitor quality issue. The driver merely throttled back voltage demands so that the inferior built cards shouldn't crash anymore.

Buildzoid did a tier recap of the 3080's and he categorized from worst to best - zotac, palit, gigabyte, then founder's edition, evga, then asus strix and tuf. or something thereabouts. Gigabyte isn't the worst, but it's far from the best design of the AIBs as far as providing 'clean energy/less noise' to the gpu core. Watch his review of an oscilloscope of a 7970 with a bad design PCB, that he slowly upgraded, to see what he means by it.

It's not just a driver issue. It's a physical capacitor quality issue. The driver merely throttled back voltage demands so that the inferior built cards shouldn't crash anymore.

Buildzoid did a tier recap of the 3080's and he categorized from worst to best - zotac, palit, gigabyte, then founder's edition, evga, then asus strix and tuf. or something thereabouts. Gigabyte isn't the worst, but it's far from the best design of the AIBs as far as providing 'clean energy/less noise' to the gpu core. Watch his review of an oscilloscope of a 7970 with a bad design PCB, that he slowly upgraded, to see what he means by it.
while there is a difference, it is really small. Most of these cards have next to zero overclocking headroom as it is regardless. They are all stable it seems in the 1900MHz range, which is a good bit faster than rated boost. I think the driver just dialed back the boost table a little bit.

The driver merely throttled back voltage demands so that the inferior built cards shouldn't crash anymore.

Thing is I read some were experiencing crashes even with the Asus cards. The word seems to be that any of them pushing much beyond 2000MHz when boosting could run into this and higher quality caps only mitigated the issue to a degree (so still relevant to cap quality but they didn't wholly prevent it, apparently).

How are you tracking them?

My own Distil pings, two different 3080 groups on discord servers, reddit rumors, and anything else I can get. I've been there for drop after drop after drop at these various sites trying to get a card. They're pushing cards, just nowhere near enough for demand. This is the 2080 launch shortage x10. During the 2080 crunch you'd eventually be watching a retailer when stock showed and you'd get one for the few minutes it was up. This time around, it's all gone before you ever get it to cart... even if you are there within 10 seconds of it going live. On all sites. Everywhere. It's incredible to watch.

I lucked out and got my 3080 yesturday from a tiny computer shop locally for $1200cad all in. MSI Ventus 3x.

Our hardware rep just forwarded me an email he received from his contact at ASUS. Citing a GPU shortage at launch, the ETA date for my 3080 has now changed from October 2nd to November 30th!

Looks like it really was, for the most part, a paper launch! I'm just hoping availability increases and I get it before then. If not, I should still have it by Christmas.

I do want one, but I'll probably wait for Cyberpunk and by then it should be easier to buy.

Our hardware rep just forwarded me an email he received from his contact at ASUS. Citing a GPU shortage at launch, the ETA date for my 3080 has now changed from October 2nd to November 30th!

Looks like it really was, for the most part, a paper launch! I'm just hoping availability increases and I get it before then. If not, I should still have it by Christmas.

That's not good. I heard mythical tales of a huge container of Asus cards arriving this month. November would be a long wait. The next couple weeks will be interesting, hopefully real stock arrives this month.

Amazon, back on the 22nd of September. They had a bunch of preorders pop up and I jumped on it.

I'm becoming very leery of Amazon these days. Starting to look less 'professional' and many 'etailers' seem to be fronts for EBay like resellers or Chinese 'stores' rather than what I've traditionally thought of Amazon being (i.e reliable).

Please report back on the condition of your card when you get it - i.e., did it come 'new in the box' and professionally packaged, or does it look 'slightly used' or mishandled.

Thanks

How did they do preorders? Weren't there no preorders? Btw, we are climbing the stock ladder quick, mates, there are 30 of us who have the cards!! Fantastic!

They just listed the cards and initially had a 12-16 October delivery date.

Back