I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
I called evga to ask some questions about the step up program and they said there are thousands of people in queue already and it could take up to 3 months to get a 3080 thru the step up program.

Thanks for that info - that was my suspicion.

Still better than F5 game, if you find retail availability before, can always not go through is my understanding (until you pay close to card availability).

I suspect we will see more widespread availability near mid- to late-October, but I guess we will find out. Big Navi launching could take some of the heat off of the 3080 as well.

About flipping time
IMG_20200929_184554__01.jpg

Who wants to bet EVGA step-up program either goes away after this generation, or gets modified so it doesn't apply to cross generation jumps...

EVGA says they have thousands of cards ready to ship through their partners this week. Well they have thousands they need to put into the step up program they told Bman123 - and I bet they have very real financial losses in the step up program this time around, because who's going to buy those 2 series RTX cards B stock (or even 1 series cards possibly) in the face of these new cheaper yet overperforming 3 series cards??!!

is Eagle a new model/branding for Gigabyte?...I never heard of Eagle cards from them before
new.

Who wants to bet EVGA step-up program either goes away after this generation, or gets modified so it doesn't apply to cross generation jumps...

EVGA says they have thousands of cards ready to ship through their partners this week. Well they have thousands they need to put into the step up program they told Bman123 - and I bet they have very real financial losses in the step up program this time around, because who's going to buy those 2 series RTX cards B stock (or even 1 series cards possibly) in the face of these new cheaper yet overperforming 3 series cards??!!

new.

I don’t think so. Since it’s the people that buy within last 90 days anyways. I am sure it evens out. Is someone is coming from 2080 and wants to go 3090 they just get full value they paid and lay the difference. It’s been going on for too long to stop now so the math probably works out.

I don’t think so. Since it’s the people that buy within last 90 days anyways. I am sure it evens out. Is someone is coming from 2080 and wants to go 3090 they just get full value they paid and lay the difference. It’s been going on for too long to stop now so the math probably works out.
How do they lose anything? You can only step up to the overpriced FTW3 Ultra 'smiley' edition crap for $110 over MSRP anyways...and pay shipping both ways and the difference between the price of existing card and the price of the inflated FTW3 cards...if anything it's a solid money maker. If BB had any stock I would buy one of the MSRP cards with my 10% discount rt away.

I thought there would be a bit of a Newegg restock today like last Tuesday. Guess it's not a weekly thing, so sad.

I thought there would be a bit of a Newegg restock today like last Tuesday. Guess it's not a weekly thing, so sad.
I got an in stock notification for the ASUS TUF 3080 from Newegg at 7 PM CST but when I went to the page it was gone. Could have been a false positive.

How do they lose anything? You can only step up to the overpriced FTW3 Ultra 'smiley' edition crap for $110 over MSRP anyways...and pay shipping both ways and the difference between the price of existing card and the price of the inflated FTW3 cards...if anything it's a solid money maker. If BB had any stock I would buy one of the MSRP cards with my 10% discount rt away.
If it was a money maker you can absolutely be assured they would not be the only player that offers it.

I keep reading how Nvidia is basically breaking even on every founders edition sold, and there are thin margins for AIB partners this go round.

EVGA sells outdated product, then gets it back. Has to test it, validate it, inventory it, repack it, and then sell it again at 20% under retail price as B stock. (Which very well might be a loss right there).
You realize it isn’t just the price of the card in scope here. It’s the cost of running a business, insurance, warehouse, employees, utilities, insurance, etc etc etc.

No way it’s profitable. (Except in creating brand loyalty that may pay dividends over time)

Last edited:
EVGA have been doing it forever though (I’m sure someone will jump out of a hedge and correct me / aggressively inform me as to when)

There has to be a reason.

Thats what I meant they don't lose anything it probably works out in their favor or it would have died long time ago.

LOL got a notification from Newegg that the 3080 ASUS TUF was back in stock. Went to my email, clicked on the link, and it was already out of stock again. Those DAMN Bots are making this impossible!!

I can do you one better, I got a distil ping on 9 second refresh intervals for that card too, Newegg also had an EVGA card I think but I didn't go after that one. I had clicked on the TUF card within 2 seconds of getting the bell which has a 9 second refresh and it was already gone. You needed to be on it within 1-3 seconds. Email notifications are in the wrong universe for time.

I can do you one better, I got a distil ping on 9 second refresh intervals for that card too, Newegg also had an EVGA card I think but I didn't go after that one. I had clicked on the TUF card within 2 seconds of getting the bell which has a 9 second refresh and it was already gone. You needed to be on it within 1-3 seconds. Email notifications are in the wrong universe for time.

Even then I think it is impossible. I've been doing the same as you and nada, you can't even add to cart seconds after it changes status.

EDIT: Somebody else on here claimed it was a bug with Newegg and I am inclined to agree. I just saw it come up again, same two cards (TUF and Gigabyte) and they show Add to Cart for at least a minute or so, but even seconds after the update nothing is able to be added to the cart. I don't think it's real stock.

Also evidenced by the fact that if you go to the actual page, it never says Add to Cart, only Notify.

Last edited:
Got an MSI 3080 email alert from newegg but not sure if it was a flase positive...not available as expected.

How are people buying this the second they go in stock? Are they at home 24/7 doing nothing but F5ing the page every second? Something ain't right.
I got lucky with Office Depot by following a suggested trick in the NowInstock chat. The key was to add the card to a list, and then from the list add to cart. Sounded crazy but it actually worked! Maybe they were doing this to thwart bots... who knows. I agree the whole situation is just ridiculous.

I am having a little giggling moment at people thinking email is always INSTANT...espcially if the list of people wanting notifications are large.

Oh well, back to upgrading CPU's :LOL:

How are people buying this the second they go in stock? Are they at home 24/7 doing nothing but F5ing the page every second? Something ain't right.
50% luck, 50% discord/distill notifications. Unless they’re botting.

Odds are they’re the same people using bots as those from the launch. You can keep them running for restocks

I am having a little giggling moment at people thinking email is always INSTANT...espcially if the list of people wanting notifications are large.

Oh well, back to upgrading CPU's :LOL:

Given the fact that if steam sends me an E-mail and it can take hours for me to get it, I abandoned that idea long ago.

Hmm I made that same purchase and it went through but mine doesnt show an estimated date. Weird.

You must have been a little behind me in ordering. Hopefully you still get one. I have had orders cancelled by both Amazon and Newegg

Looks like the new Gigabyte cards are being added to inventory, might be a good back order option for sites that allow it. The Aorus Master has 3x HDMI 2.1 and 3x DP 1.4a so good for those needing multiple HDMI.

So I don’t have access to a PC at my job. All I have is my iPhone. I check Best Buy’s website like 100 times a day seeing if the 3080s will get restocked. I’ve had 0 luck. I’m stuck using Best Buy due to having giftcards I can use to offset the price. Anyone else in here have any luck with Best Buy’s website? Anyone have any tips to help me secure a 3080? Again I don’t have access to a PC at work.

So I don’t have access to a PC at my job. All I have is my iPhone. I check Best Buy’s website like 100 times a day seeing if the 3080s will get restocked. I’ve had 0 luck. I’m stuck using Best Buy due to having giftcards I can use to offset the price. Anyone else in here have any luck with Best Buy’s website? Anyone have any tips to help me secure a 3080? Again I don’t have access to a PC at work.

same here on launch day I saw 3080 flash in and out of stock but never secured one. Since then been checking like every hour and 0 luck. My friend has been doing the same. I had to stop him from getting one off ebay for 1500-2k. Literally called him nuts for even supporting the scalpers lol. Told him to just use onboard for another month until supply normalizes.

Newegg as had them in stock twice now in the past hour.
Newegg's "bot detection" has gotten really strict recently. People on the Discord are saying anything faster than 60 seconds can get you flagged. I don't see how the cards are vanishing so quickly.

It's probably just making things more difficult for humans, but the more advanced bots can bypass it anyway.

Newegg as had them in stock twice now in the past hour.

I guess only for some. I have browsed newegg few times in the last hour and none. I have given up for myself but trying to find one for my buddy who is desperate so I figure 4 eyes are better than 2. lol

I guess only for some. I have browsed newegg few times in the last hour and none. I have given up for myself but trying to find one for my buddy who is desperate so I figure 4 eyes are better than 2. lol
They are going fast. I'll tab over to newegg, refresh and see the asus tuf and the gigabyte in stock. I msg my friend on IRC and by the time he checks the link they are gone.

I'd check later in the day around 6PM ET and later as they should get a load of EVGA in at some point this week according to EVGA. I think they shipped FTW Ultra and a few XC3 models to retailers.

They have had a couple restocks at that time but it could have just been a coincidence.

Last edited:
Back