I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
After I finished posting in the Ampere thread in the HotDeals section I tabbed over to Amazon page, refreshed, and saw it was available. Placed an order with 1 click buy and 5 seconds later was OOS already. So essentially, dumb luck.

Shit, must be nice. I’ve had it in my cart numerous times since launch and haven’t landed one like that

I just got another backorder, this time an EVGA XC3 Ultra from bestbuy.ca. So for now I have an MSI Ventus ordered from Amazon.ca, an Asus TUF OC from Memory Express (which have thousands on order currently) and the Best Buy order. I think I will call it quits now and just hope one of them ships before Halloween.

I just got another backorder, this time an EVGA XC3 Ultra from bestbuy.ca. So for now I have an MSI Ventus ordered from Amazon.ca, an Asus TUF OC from Memory Express (which have thousands on order currently) and the Best Buy order. I think I will call it quits now and just hope one of them ships before Halloween.

I hope they have thousands on order. They called me today to confirm my item was back ordered and that i was "on the list" I asked her how big the list of pre orders was and she said several thousand. Guessing that's all of their stores together though?

I hope they have thousands on order. They called me today to confirm my item was back ordered and that i was "on the list" I asked her how big the list of pre orders was and she said several thousand. Guessing that's all of their stores together though?

Sorry I meant thousands backordered waiting in the queue, I assume they have that many on order. Numbers floating around online are up 4000 chain wide backorders and they are getting around 100 in weekly. Could be a long wait.

Have my 2080 ti on CL and getting a lot of hate for not parting with it for 500 lol. Not letting it go for less than 750 unless the 3080 stock stabilizes and I can get the one I want (Gbt/Asus with 2x Hdmi). The standard 3080 has 4 video out vs 5 on the 2080 ti, 3x DP, 1x HDMI and 1 USB-C. I get that Virtuallink for VR is dead but the USB-C support was kind of nice, single connection for TB3 monitors/usb data like my 3818dw. Definitely a step backwards in that way.

And big Navi will have USB-C/TB3 support in most boards..

Newegg had an ftw3 ultra but could not check out. Now the idiots think I am a bot, what nonsense.
I almost got one of those too for a coworker. Got as far as payment info before it was pulled from my cart. Later they sent and email stating I forgot something in my cart...
1601142628728.png

I almost got one of those too for a coworker. Got as far as payment info before it was pulled from my cart. Later they sent and email stating I forgot something in my cart...
View attachment 283063

All Newegg would have to do is temp hold these cards in a cart for 2-3 minutes to allow someone time to complete a transaction. Instead they choose to create a feeding frenzy so people keep visiting their site and potentially buying other stuff while they’re visiting.

I've had a good 15 cards in my cart since launch and haven't been able to complete a transaction yet. Now my buddy wants one so we are both trying to get it

I've had a good 15 cards in my cart since launch and haven't been able to complete a transaction yet. Now my buddy wants one so we are both trying to get it
Stores need to implement cart reservations for at least 2 mins for these, many stores have them already (Dell comes to mind for outlet items.

Even then it won't matter, I got an order in to Newegg and they just straight up cancelled it an hour later, citing no stock.

I got 2 on Sept 17 2020 and could of had more and bought a third on Sept 22 2020.Fast GPU but sucks for LG OLED's and some games do not work. Overall meh at best.

I got 2 on Sept 17 2020 and could of had more and bought a third on Sept 22 2020.Fast GPU but sucks for LG OLED's and some games do not work. Overall meh at best.
Why does it suck for LG OLED? I thought there was a firmware fix coming for the HDR Gsync compatible issue? Is there something else?

G-sync/VRR is borked on OLED as mentioned but it has been a week since release. Now I know there is a fix in the wild but not released to everyone. 4K HDR 120Hz 12 bit is fine on the OLED TV I own.

On the 4K LG OLED there is just strange things that happen, some games will not even load but if I start game on 4K Freesync and load it and then switch to LG OLED ,I can play the game.
I have been able to set 8k on the LG OLED sometimes with DSR to 8K and run a game but it is not consistant.

Also anything on LG OLED above 3840x2160 120Hz results in scan lines all over the screen,like if the screen is overclocked. Even if the screen is actually set above 3840x2160 at 60Hz.
For exAMPLE TODAY IT TOOK ME 40 MINUTES TO TRY TO GET rdr2 TO RUN ON THE lg oled,opps locked caps by mistake. There are just many problems with RTX 3080 and LG OLED compared to my 4K Freesync hooked up to the same computer.
Maybe I should disconnect the Freesync monitor and only run LG monitor and see if there is a difference.

Well no stock appeared on Nvidia at 3am EST, though ironically looks like I got a notification just a few minutes before I woke for the 3am check lol. I have received 3-4 of these notifications throughout the day (where Add to Cart appears, generally for under a minute). Was out all day today but if they are trickling in stock, should hopefully at least try to catch some on Monday. Anyone have experience with those elusive <1 minute restocks on Nvidia? Like are you actually able to add to cart?

I haven't been able to get anything from nvidia, amazon, best buy or the evga site and I have had a cards in my cart a bunch of times. Set up for the fastest check out possible and still can't get it

Reactions: Vader
like this
Well no stock appeared on Nvidia at 3am EST, though ironically looks like I got a notification just a few minutes before I woke for the 3am check lol. I have received 3-4 of these notifications throughout the day (where Add to Cart appears, generally for under a minute). Was out all day today but if they are trickling in stock, should hopefully at least try to catch some on Monday. Anyone have experience with those elusive <1 minute restocks on Nvidia? Like are you actually able to add to cart?

No, false positive. They had no stock for sale.

The distill io monitor fires a positive on nvidia site several times day. I’ve never once seen the add to cart button. Either its a false positive, or the auto checkout bots scoop them up pretty much instantaneously.

G-sync/VRR is borked on OLED as mentioned but it has been a week since release. Now I know there is a fix in the wild but not released to everyone. 4K HDR 120Hz 12 bit is fine on the OLED TV I own.

On the 4K LG OLED there is just strange things that happen, some games will not even load but if I start game on 4K Freesync and load it and then switch to LG OLED ,I can play the game.
I have been able to set 8k on the LG OLED sometimes with DSR to 8K and run a game but it is not consistant.

Also anything on LG OLED above 3840x2160 120Hz results in scan lines all over the screen,like if the screen is overclocked. Even if the screen is actually set above 3840x2160 at 60Hz.
For exAMPLE TODAY IT TOOK ME 40 MINUTES TO TRY TO GET rdr2 TO RUN ON THE lg oled,opps locked caps by mistake. There are just many problems with RTX 3080 and LG OLED compared to my 4K Freesync hooked up to the same computer.
Maybe I should disconnect the Freesync monitor and only run LG monitor and see if there is a difference.

Update your firmware? https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...get-early-nvidia-rtx-30-vrr-fix/#2939222522e6

Amazon had the gigabyte 3080 and I got one with the one click buy then it sold out minutes later. It’s been over 2 hours and no cancellation so I think I’m in good shape on this one.

Last edited:
Sold my 2080 ti for 725 cash, that's like getting 900 on ebay. Probably just gonna get a 2060 in the interim and evaluate end of Oct. With any luck, I can pay best buy the same 725 for a 3080 with taxes after my birthday coupon. Gotta get used to 2560x1080 vs 3840x1600 on UW for a few weeks lol. The 2080 Ti was free anyways after cc insurance approved my warranty claim so I win lol.

Sold my 2080 ti for 725 cash, that's like getting 900 on ebay. Probably just gonna get a 2060 in the interim and evaluate end of Oct. With any luck, I can pay best buy the same 725 for a 3080 with taxes after my birthday coupon. Gotta get used to 2560x1080 vs 3840x1600 on UW for a few weeks lol.
Why not get an EVGA 2070 or 2080 and simply just step-up to the 3080 ?

getting an EVGA 2060...the cheapest card I can live with, since you eat taxes with step-up that makes the most sense no?
you don't eat anything. You pay taxes on the cost of the first card, then you pay taxes on the difference of cost between that and the card you step up to. It's the same amount of taxes as if you just bought the high end card in the first place.

good to know and is it the price you pay to say bb or wm or what evga's msrp is which may be slightly different? Got a 2060 KO mostly because everything higher is overpriced performance wise...the 2060 super is 420 vs 310 for this , 2070 S is 530 .... plus 2560x1080 is 2.76 MPixels vs 3840x1600 which is 6.14 MPixels so I may even seen a small framerate uplift running the smaller resolution on the 2060 vs 3840 on the 2080 ti lol.

Last edited:
good to know and is it the price you pay to say bb or wm or what evga's msrp is which may be slightly different? Got a 2060 KO mostly because everything higher is overpriced performance wise...the 2060 super is 420 vs 310 for this , 2070 S is 530 .... plus 2560x1080 is 2.76 MPixels vs 3840x1600 which is 6.14 MPixels so I may even seen a small framerate uplift running the smaller resolution on the 2060 vs 3840 on the 2080 ti lol.

Evga has a thorough step-up FAQ that explains exactly how the process works. You would do well to read it.

The credit you get for your step-up is based on your invoiced purchase price, the value is not predetermined by EVGA. Tax and shipping charges are not included towards your step-up, and any promotions or discounts you may have received are reduced from your step-up value. Also, hopefully you purchased from an authorized EVGA reseller and your card is a new one (not used, refurb, etc) with a part number that ends in -KR. Anything else will not be eligible.

Evga has a thorough step-up FAQ that explains exactly how the process works. You would do well to read it.

The credit you get for your step-up is based on your invoiced purchase price, the value is not predetermined by EVGA. Tax and shipping charges are not included towards your step-up, and any promotions or discounts you may have received are reduced from your step-up value. Also, hopefully you purchased from an authorized EVGA reseller and your card is a new one (not used, refurb, etc) with a part number that ends in -KR. Anything else will not be eligible.
I did, thanks but heard there were some recent changes with shipping needing to be insured etc. so can't hurt to ask :) the 2060 KO does end in KR so glad to see the option is there. Will likely apply for it and see if a card becomes available outright sooner.

I considered that, but I wonder how long the Step-Up queue will be.

Wondering the same thing! I have an aging GTX Titan that still work wonderfully but looking to upgrade it! I also wonder what will happen 1st, get a step up or find a card in the wild. For anyone who has stepped up, do you know if they have a separate inventory? TY

Wondering the same thing! I have an aging GTX Titan that still work wonderfully but looking to upgrade it! I also wonder what will happen 1st, get a step up or find a card in the wild. For anyone who has stepped up, do you know if they have a separate inventory? TY
Yes they have different queues for retail, step up/ram and separate regions for each of those. The step up queue started moving the first day but it was quickly flooded when people noticed the shortage. I called just to feel out the wait and was told expect 60days maybe 90.

Yes they have different queues for retail, step up/ram and separate regions for each of those. The step up queue started moving the first day but it was quickly flooded when people noticed the shortage. I called just to feel out the wait and was told expect 60days maybe 90.
Not bad if closer to 60 since hopefully the cards sent by then would have the POSCAP/crash issues fixed, even if it means downclocking boost by 50-100 Mhz to make sure.

I did, thanks but heard there were some recent changes with shipping needing to be insured etc. so can't hurt to ask :) the 2060 KO does end in KR so glad to see the option is there. Will likely apply for it and see if a card becomes available outright sooner.

I've never done a step-up, but my understanding is that EVGA charges you for shipping both ways, but provides a pre-paid return label (thus ensuring it ships via a method they consider adequate). Obviously you're still responsible for ensuring it's properly packaged to survive the journey.

I would guess with near certainty that you'll wait longer for step-up than you will for retail channels to stabilize. Evga is going to prioritize their vendors desperate for inventory and their customers paying full price. Step-up won't be quick, but it's effectively a guaranteed pre-order.

As i understand, once you are in the queue, it doesnt matter if it goes past the 90 days? I didnt see this on the FAQ but can they advanced ship the card if you pay full price the step up card and get a refund for the value of your trade in after they receive the trade in card?

As i understand, once you are in the queue, it doesnt matter if it goes past the 90 days? I didnt see this on the FAQ but can they advanced ship the card if you pay full price the step up card and get a refund for the value of your trade in after they receive the trade in card?
I was told they don't do advance ship on the step card, they will let you upgrade the speed of shipping but it will be processed after they receive the card. Doesn't matter if you paid for the advance rma upgrade. Yes, once you are in the queue you are good no matter how long it takes.

Not bad if closer to 60 since hopefully the cards sent by then would have the POSCAP/crash issues fixed, even if it means downclocking boost by 50-100 Mhz to make sure.
I have a ftw3 and just ordered an pny 3090 this morning for the wife, I have a 4+2 setup on it but and it boosts above 2k happily still no issues. I'm not worried about any of the EVGA cards. Her 3090 if they gimp it via bios I don't care, she just plays 4k on our tv that doesn't even have HDMI 2.1. I sometimes play in the one that does, lol, so as long as its faster than her 2080ti she'll be happy.

I did overnight shipping with evga. Going from a 2070 super xc ultra I have to pay 290 and change. They overnight the card to me for that price. Had to upload my Best Buy receipt as well.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
I did overnight shipping with evga. Going from a 2070 super xc ultra I have to pay 290 and change. They overnight the card to me for that price. Had to upload my Best Buy receipt as well.
Assuming they charge you once you position is up and they have a card for you? And not before so you are out both for long since the site says you need to ship the old one within 14 days of paying for the step-up.

I was told they don't do advance ship on the step card, they will let you upgrade the speed of shipping but it will be processed after they receive the card. Doesn't matter if you paid for the advance rma upgrade. Yes, once you are in the queue you are good no matter how long it takes.

Thank you! I might look into getting a 2060 KO then steup to a 3080!

I have a ftw3 and just ordered an pny 3090 this morning for the wife, I have a 4+2 setup on it but and it boosts above 2k happily still no issues. I'm not worried about any of the EVGA cards. Her 3090 if they gimp it via bios I don't care, she just plays 4k on our tv that doesn't even have HDMI 2.1. I sometimes play in the one that does, lol, so as long as its faster than her 2080ti she'll be happy.

Does the PNY 3090 have the good MLCC capacitors or is it all SP Caps like the Zotac and Gigabyte cards?

Back