I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
Sell it while the guys with more $ than sense are out there. Then use that money for a 3090 or 3080 20 GB Super.

There are so many of them on eBay it's funny. I don't think that many are selling for $1K plus. Are there really that many idiots out there?

There are so many of them on eBay it's funny. I don't think that many are selling for $1K plus. Are there really that many idiots out there?

Yep, I bet he could sell it for $1200-$1500 easy on /r/hardwareswap.

The completed buy it now sales says yes there are that many.

This has to be the funniest RTX 3080 ebay listing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-18 190316.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-18 190316.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 0
It's okay. I'm sure the AIBs and NV are producing them as fast as Samsung and Micron deliver crucial components. Samsung might be flooding the pipeline with the ASIC, but Micron might be stinking it up with VRAM, or vice versa. Just hold tight.

I'm putting together a machine for my dad who has decided he wants to play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 at 4k. This card or a 3090 was the ticket and I have a hard time justifying a lesser card 2xxx when these are out.

I was planning on comparing the AMD offerings and picking whichever card suited me if the RT performance was good enough. I'm patient for myself and impatient when trying to get something done for others.

Got one from Micro center yesterday. Haven't even opened it yet because I'm contemplating on selling and trying to get my hands on a 3090!
View attachment 280555

Honestly...You should sell it & get a 3090. Not saying its the right thing to do, but if someone is willing to pay more than the sticker price, then let that be their problem. Equate it to selling a stock at this point.

Honestly, the best way to rid of scalpers is to implement restocking fees. Make every store have a 7 day return period with no restocking fee and then the remaining 23 days you can return with a 20% restocking fee. That way scalpers have 7 days to try and offload everything they bought
Honestly...You should sell it & get a 3090. Not saying its the right thing to do, but if someone is willing to pay more than the sticker price, then let that be their problem.
That's assuming they'll be able to secure a 3090 at MSRP. Pretty rare for lightning to strike twice. :D

Honestly, the best way to rid of scalpers is to implement restocking fees. Make every store have a 7 day return period with no restocking fee and then the remaining 23 days you can return with a 20% restocking fee. That way scalpers have 7 days to try and offload everything they bought

That's assuming they'll be able to secure a 3090 at MSRP. Pretty rare for lightning to strike twice. :D

This is true. But lightning does strike twice more often than people think :p It would be quite the gamble, unless you didn't already have a card to use.

About the scalpers. They really should put a limit on the amount of product people can buy. Limit 2 per customer.

Lads, let's nt forget how auto notify werks and how email werks. It isn't something instant. Even if it were, there is certain delay until that email shows up in your inbox. Even worse for mobile, because it checks every so often.

Now if you upgraded to chiral network, well lads, things would be a whole lot differe t.

I thought about what you said today UltraTaco in this post and it got me to thinking, "How could email notification for online sales be made more effective?". My idea revolves around 1 word: timing. You're right. The way the system works right now (I think), those emails start going out the second they re-enable the Add to Cart button on the sales page for the card after the new inventory has been processed and readied for sale. By the time people get the email (or even notice it in their email) based on that timing it's very likely too late to take advantage of the notification. So here's my idea to the change in the timing in steps:

1. The inventory comes into the warehouse and readied for sale.
2. While that process is taking place the emails are written to the users asking for them. They are sent around the time the readying for sale of the product is nearly done.
3. When all the product is readied for sale you send the emails and when the last email notification is sent on a product and their email client (likely MS Outlook) confirms it in the Sent Items folder give it a 1-3 minute countdown and then re-enable Add to Cart on the product.

You don't give too big a countdown otherwise people will think you're lying cause the status doesn't change in time or if they don't think that they might think these people with notifications have a timed advantage. You want the playing field to be as equal as possible between the people who signed up for email notification and the people who didn't. I know some people will think this idea is silly but...some might not. Just telling you what's on my mind and until next time I am out!

I thought about what you said today UltraTaco in this post and it got me to thinking, "How could email notification for online sales be made more effective?". My idea revolves around 1 word: timing. You're right. The way the system works right now (I think), those emails start going out the second they re-enable the Add to Cart button on the sales page for the card after the new inventory has been processed and readied for sale. By the time people get the email (or even notice it in their email) based on that timing it's very likely too late to take advantage of the notification. So here's my idea to the change in the timing in steps:

1. The inventory comes into the warehouse and readied for sale.
2. While that process is taking place the emails are written to the users asking for them. They are sent around the time the readying for sale of the product is nearly done.
3. When all the product is readied for sale you send the emails and when the last email notification is sent on a product and their email client (likely MS Outlook) confirms it in the Sent Items folder give it a 1-3 minute countdown and then re-enable Add to Cart on the product.

You don't give too big a countdown otherwise people will think you're lying cause the status doesn't change in time or if they don't think that they might think these people with notifications have a timed advantage. You want the playing field to be as equal as possible between the people who signed up for email notification and the people who didn't. I know some people will think this idea is silly but...some might not. Just telling you what's on my mind and until next time I am out!

nVidia has shown its greed, I doubt the workflow is going to change as that would take an emergency fix or a sprint to do....I think we'll be stuck with a janky captcha and that's it.

Nvidia's site this morning.

False hope.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200919-064951_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200919-064951_Chrome.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
Here's a shot before the bots. Next warehouse just search rtx 3080. Well that went fast. The cards were showing live in stock numbers now the live counter won't even populate most of the time.
Ok at the time of me starting to post the prices weren't jacked like they are now. Yuk

Seems the ventus is the only 1 left
I take that back also the gaming trio

Screenshot_20200919-081014.jpg
Screenshot_20200919-081329.jpg

Last edited:
sorry at this point I do not believe these content creators. They are being spoon fed this information. So many places had no to little stock. Some retail stores had as many as 2. Nvidia is exploiting there monopoly by running a paper launch manufacturing fake "shortages" so they can jack up the price and pretend they are selling a $699 card when in reality the AIB will be more along the lines of $800. Since the reviews are out and people will always go back to the reviews of an amazing card for 699. So now AIB can jack up the prices and nvidia can blame "demand" and a shortage. They are literally trying to recreate the mining craze by faking a shortage.

He does say that his sources told him that the launch represented about 5% of stock for 2020. Which as I watch various polls, we are nearing 5% on who got cards vs demand.

A way to reality check these claims a bit is if anyone paid attention to the scalpers during the 2080 launch. I would definitely say we are seeing way less people post "yay I got it" pics than back then. If we are pushing similar volumes of cars, then I would expect the scalpers to have been much more successful than last time and to see more for sale. But I ignored the scalpers, so can't make a call on that.

Nextwarehouse's website is a freakin' disaster of two separate UI's and busted links/missing features. Not a shock that anyone would be able to exploit that mess with a bot.

Here's a shot before the bots. Next warehouse just search rtx 3080. Well that went fast. The cards were showing live in stock numbers now the live counter won't even populate most of the time.
Ok at the time of me starting to post the prices weren't jacked like they are now. Yuk

View attachment 280671View attachment 280673

Never heard of them and won't let me use PayPal

View attachment 280671View attachment 280673

That's $115 over the price at Bestbuy for the same card. No thanks. If you're going to spend $100+ over the "magical $699 price," you might as well wait for the 20GB cards.

That's $115 over the price at Bestbuy for the same card. No thanks. If you're going to spend $100+ over the "magical $699 price," you might as well wait for the 20GB cards.
Exactly. None of these cards are worth an extra cent more for personal use.

Wait, you don't believe the content creators, but you do because you are buying what MLID is selling. SMDH.

Now that I figured out what MLID is after pondering it for a moment, I do wonder why people are not being more skeptical about his statements. I believe he is playing word games and pushing conspiracy theories for clicks, and has leveraged things that were obvious and guaranteed to be true to to do it.

1) Nvidia wants to keep their 50% margin. Maybe, maybe not. Looks to me like they want to pursue vertical integration in their market and are looking to kick the shit out of the data center business. At that point gaming outside of streaming gaming will be a niche part of their business. I mean I know MLID has that "street smertz", but I'm pretty sure dumping 10s on billions to buy arm and enterprise networking businesses is just smoke and mirrors for that 50% margin. We will ignore that if you just give up on consoles and focus on dominating PC gaming that you no longer have to eat shit on console chip margns and hope you get the volume form them next year. This statement might as well have been "NVIDIA likes money". Yeah no shit. Show me how this makes them money.

2) Stated that founders edition doesn't exist. Consumers have gotten them. They do exist. But lets just assume it's hyperbole for very low volume and is never available in large numbers. This is something you can make look real and plausible just by having severe demand. We KNEW we were going to have severe demand. Nobody is claiming that the ps5 launch is smoke and mirrors and they will never exist, but that pretty much went the exact same way as the 3080 launch. This is the way shit works these days, and proves nothing other than nobody produces 100% of the volume the market wants on day one. I mean apple tries to and they still run out and get scalpers. They jsut manage it enough that people with even a little patience can ignore that process and just place an order. It'd be nice if nvidia could do that, but this isn't an iphone scale market that makes nvidia iphone kind of money. So...

3) Stated that FE would be the best card at the lowest price. That it only exists at that price for hype and because the magic super expensive cooler is going to put up magic non-reproducable numbers to feed the hype machine and make nvidia money while it REALLY delivers a product that is not as good as claimed. It IS probably the value leader, but as we are seeing numbers on AIB cards, we are seeing that the FE is not blowing the doors off of anything. What we are seeing is that the AIB cards are taking more sustained load to heat soak, and are very often quieter, and do so while often hitting higher clock speeds than the FE. That indeed very competitive cards are launching at prices within $50-70 of the FE. So basically this claim has already proven to be bullshit on every factor.

4) AIB cards wouldn't be at MSRP. Ok. so? They a bunch of them are within $60 bucks. This really isn't novel variety in pricing compared to other launches. In fact, this is what I would refer to as normal. Telling me normal is a conspiracy is the actions of a gaslighting douche nozzle looking for attention. Yeah there are some $800+ cards. I might give this point some credence if that were the norm, but there are a numbner of $699 MSRP cards without rebate, the majority are $750 and lower, and the vast majority are within $100 of the FE. The only thing weird about that is this time the FE is the cheap card.

5) NVIDIA is keeping supply artificially low for the first 3 months. Once again, compared to previous launches scarcity ramping up slowly is the norm. If you are claiming the norm is a conspiracy, that requires strong evidence to prove it, and for you to not sound like a loon and be taken seriously means you at least need a plausible strong motive.

6) Says that nvidia will use the prices scalpers set to justify price hikes. Technically I guess that is possible, but the only way that make nvidia money is to start charging board partners more for the chips. And that means that they would have to charge retailers more for stock. HE seems to imply that nvidia has engineered this so nobody will blame them, but blame the scalpers. There is literally NO FUCKING WAY that happens. ZERO. There is an entire fucking entertainment ecosystem built up around all three of those entities basically leaking information about products and shit talking each other off the record. COul they do it. Yes! Absolutely. Can the goal be secrecty and loking like the good guy? Fucking NO!!!!. It would literally be the prime engine behing the content of like 1000 youtube channels and tech blogs. It would foment what? A decade of green vs red shitposting frorm fanboys? More? The very concept that this is the plan for nvidia to look like the good guy while being the bad guy in secret is.... it's not even a good lie... it's 100% grade A bullshit that requires you to ignore litterally EVERY FUCKING EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD with pc tech news and fandom. The dude might as well have published that elephants are quite light because they are hollow inside.

7) The stock issue will suddenly go away. Wait you told me there's no FE cards because they don't exist. Which is it? Pick one. Pro tip: when bullshitters start playing both sides of an argument, they are full of shit. This guy has litterally hedged his bets. If there's no cards its part of the conspiracy. If there are cards it's part of the conspiracy.

8) The double memory cards are coming in October!!! He said that. Lets see if it is true. I have my guesses, and I don't think we will see them in october. If the polls are right and the rumors are right, they will sell the shit out of these cards, and doubling up on ram will just mean less sales. The smart, GREEDY thing to do is sell all the cards now, and then when gddr6x supply ISN'T a potential bottle neck, drop the double memory cards for those who always chase the next best version. That may be sooner than we think, but I don't see that happening prior to the new year unless some smart people have gotten really stupid. Pro tip: when conspiracy theorists are pulling shit out of their ass, they very, very often require you to simultaneously believe a person or group is both smarter than everyone else and incredibly stupid. This dude is asking us to believe nvidia has the ability to cleverly and secretly manipulate the market, but is stupid enough to not maximize revenue. Oh and the only one smart enough to catch these smart stupid people is your hero the conspiracy theorist. Besides, given the numbers on the 3080, what good will double ram do most people. Leave it to next year and you at least might have dual 4k VR displays to power at high rates and a bigger supply of more affordable 8k tvs to drive demand for more oomph. You also might have more capacity with regards to 7nm fabs to claw back some power budget. You also don't piss off your cusotmers by selling them really good card and then immediately dropping a great card that differs only in ram. People will resent that shit and nvidia knows that. You drop it a year from now and they say you are awesome as long as it moves a few benchmarks someplace.

9) The double memory cards won't be sold from nvidia. This one is the only remotely plausible part here. Given the numbers people are pulling and the educated gustimates of the power draw for the ram on board already, the FE as it exists is capable of using up all 375 watts prior to the thermal limit of the cooler. You just aren't going to double that power draw and fit in what is left of your power budget with the single 12 pin connector. SO nvidia will either have to have a revised FE, or leave it to the AIBs.

So really at the end of the day, there IS a plausible sucktastic scenario here. Which is that the cards will never be not scarce at these pretty good price points. And between everyone trying to buy 7nm fab capacity, supply could remain shit for a while for market reasons or it is just not financially attractive for nvidia to swim upstream and have their margin eroded by market problems.

There's also a distinct possibility of another sucktastic scenario. Which is that we wind up with much more expensive double ram cards at higher prices because of evil nvidia schemes. That this entire launch was just a ruse to bypass some issue with going to double ram cards and charging double ram prices out the gate. I mean he likes to make it SOUND like nvidia wants to gouge you, but charging more for a card that is going to cost a lot more to make isn't gouging. There's nothing about that that means they get higher margins. It's just deciding that there shouldn't be reasonably priced gaming cards on the market. Given this is a market that basically rubs one out to the idea of creating a sku and aprice differential where the only difference between two items is a purple stripe and 20mhz on a 1.8ghz clock... Yeah... sure. They are going to artificially limit the market.

Now there's another possibility that isn't even really hinted at, but matches better with the things he stated that are or are likely true. Which is that the $699 FE will effectively be a scarce limited edition because double ram cards are coming, and the existing FE may simply be replaced by a more expensive card with twice the ram. If the 3080 FE and the evga xc3 go poof people wanting to do sff builds on air cooling are kind of fucked. I don't think the video card business stays up at night planning world domination by fucking over sff fans.

So not only is this gusy premise implausible that step 1 scalpers, step 2....., step three profit, but he gives off a lot of hints of jsut being a shitty manipulative fuckhead as real numbers get out.

1) Nvidia wants to keep their 50% margin. Maybe, maybe not.
I would suggest their usual margin is north of 60%, and yes this very much matters as NVIDIA will have to answer to its stockholders, and the gaming GPU is still a huge portion of its business.

2) Stated that founders edition doesn't exist. Consumers have gotten them.
He never said that in the least.

3) Stated that FE would be the best card at the lowest price.
Yes. This is totally subjective, but sure.

4) AIB cards wouldn't be at MSRP. Ok. so? They a bunch of them are within $60 bucks.
You answered your own question and we are seeing premium cards priced at over $200 of the FE, which again, was his point. AIB cards will be sold at higher prices to make margin.

5) NVIDIA is keeping supply artificially low for the first 3 months.
He said at at launch supply would be low, which it extremely was. Then he said NVIDIA is going to load the channel in the second half of October.

6) Says that nvidia will use the prices scalpers set to justify price hikes.
I don't think scalpers ever came into his analysis. He only mentioned inflated over MSRP AIB costs.

7) The stock issue will suddenly go away.
Already noted above NVIDIA loading the channel in October...before Big Navi launch.

8) The double memory cards are coming in October!!!
Not sure if this is true or not, but we will see.

9) The double memory cards won't be sold from nvidia.
I am fairly sure this statement is 100% on point.

Nvidia wants you to THINK the 3080 is a $699 card when in reality it is going to be a $800-1000 card depending on the memory configuration.

They tried this last go around with the $1199 2080Ti founders, but then said that the 2080Ti was a $999 card. You could only rarely find a $999 2080Ti.

I think the available stock this time appears to be worse than previous releases, though that could be due to the increase in demand

Nvidia's site this morning.

False hope.

Their site has been fucked for a few days now, yesterday i could go onto the Spanish NVidia site and "buy now" would show but the buy now button wouldn't work, if i turned off the auto translate the button would work but just throw up a grey box. Even today the site will occasionally show as "buy now" but the button doesn't work.

A short vid of what i was experiencing below

I think the available stock this time appears to be worse than previous releases, though that could be due to the increase in demand
that's just because they are selling them all through their new partner, EBAY. they just forgot to tell us and said they needed the money to pay for the ARM deal.

I hope that when Amazon does have cards in stock, that it's a decent number and not like, 10 of each card.

Never seen this before, maybe I've have not notice. Looks like a lot of pissed off folks this round to go to that effort, while somewhat comedic it does speak loudly of the misdirection some feel Nvidia lead them to. I am just waiting now for images of fully stacked 3080 mining rigs to show up by some bragging -> that would probably make this go south fast.

Nvidia wants you to THINK the 3080 is a $699 card when in reality it is going to be a $800-1000 card depending on the memory configuration.

They tried this last go around with the $1199 2080Ti founders, but then said that the 2080Ti was a $999 card. You could only rarely find a $999 2080Ti.

Let's be honest. A card with more VRAM isn't going to be $699. I don't expect to see 10gb cards at $1000 unless they are third party scalpers.

Wouldn't surprise me to see 10gb AIB cards average $825.

Back