I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
It would be great if they detailed how they discovered who the botters were (not hard I'm sure) and then promptly canceled all of their orders. Easy positive PR win for them.
Shouldn't be hard. Those bots finish orders in seconds compared to a human who needs at least a couple seconds/minutes. But they won't do anything.

It would be great if they detailed how they discovered who the botters were (not hard I'm sure) and then promptly canceled all of their orders. Easy positive PR win for them.

I doubt the idiots using a service like bouncealerts have multiple PO boxes or addresses so it's prob just a matter of tracking duplicate orders to a single address and canceling.

From what I can see, over here in Belgium there was no stock at all on 3rd party cards, they went from unavailable to order to preorder or arriving soon, given that the more powerfull cards from the lot wont be out this month even (like the strix models) they never intended this to be a full on launch, more like a teaser.

You don't need fancy tech to keep bots out and stuff like that, you need enough goods at launch to satisfy demand, not just 1 card for every thousand people that want one, I get that for concerts and stuff where only a certain amount of people can get in, but for physical goods they just need to build up stock b4 launching.

I doubt the idiots using a service like bouncealerts have multiple PO boxes or addresses so it's prob just a matter of tracking duplicate orders to a single address and canceling.

Yeah the alleged botters were showing all of the order status emails going to the same mailbox, it should be easy enough to kill duplicate orders from the same email address.

Not sure why people are worrying about the fools that bragged about their botting through tweets, there are legitimate players, think china/russia/crypto that are botting these by the hundreds to thousands and not stupid enough to go on sneaker sites to brag about it. I don't know if any legitimate cards were sold through nvidia.com today. They even said that when they tried to launch the card for sale, they screwed up the process, IE not even available to regular consumers, only bots with scripts could have even placed orders through an automated process that circumvented the websites gating that wasn't available to the f5 crowd today.

My comment had nothing to do with worrying about them, it was more about trying to determine if the underlying issue were the bots that some people are blaming, or if this was a paper launch with no availability of product through Nvidia.

*edit: typo

Last edited:
ITT consumers around the world learned what it's like to be a video card reviewer tryna work with Nvidia.

I want a 3070 or even 3060 but I wonder if this same situation will harken with those lol

IMO given the benchmarks, the 2080ti is likely going to be the better card if you can get it for 3070 money.

I don’t understand nVidia’s “ we didn’t anticipate blah blah blah” talk. Like really? You’re the largest graphics card company and have a big ass fan base. I’m sure they have people scouring forums and what not. I mean where’s all that money going to if you’re not paying the foundries to manufacture your graphics chip? Like damn i understand you can’t make millions of GPUs for Launch day so why didn’t they just open up pre orders that way you can see how much GPUs you would need. Or just push back the Launch Day for when you can meet demands.

Nvidia.PNG

lmao so true though.

Man that Big Navi is looking mighty Tasty!

Dr. Su I hope you are learning to not be like Douche le Jensen when it comes time for your launch.

Honest question, why cant sites line amazon, newegg start taking preorder for the cards and ship as they get them?

Honest question, why cant sites line amazon, newegg start taking preorder for the cards and ship as they get them?
NVIDIA forbade retailers from taking preorders pre-launch. No clue about afterward, other than I am sure inventory is hard to predict right now.

I have noticed that Amazon will open up the sale of an item (generally) when another batch is inbound to their warehouse. I was able to order several ASRock B550 and Z490 motherboards after they had sold out, but before the items were actually ready to ship. Not sure if they will be doing that with Ampere GPUs until the supply situation is less constrained.

Not sure why people are worrying about the fools that bragged about their botting through tweets, there are legitimate players, think china/russia/crypto that are botting these by the hundreds to thousands and not stupid enough to go on sneaker sites to brag about it. I don't know if any legitimate cards were sold through nvidia.com today. They even said that when they tried to launch the card for sale, they screwed up the process, IE not even available to regular consumers, only bots with scripts could have even placed orders through an automated process that circumvented the websites gating that wasn't available to the f5 crowd today.

I just don't think there were that many cards available period. It literally went from notify to out of stock. I don't think a bot could place tens of thousands of orders in two seconds. More likely there was extremely limited stock to begin with. Honestly, I bet they didn't even sell 5,000 cards from the Nvidia storefront.

I just don't think there were that many cards available period. It literally went from notify to out of stock. I don't think a bot could place tens of thousands of orders in two seconds. More likely there was extremely limited stock to begin with. Honestly, I bet they didn't even sell 5,000 cards from the Nvidia storefront.
It was many, many bots directly interacting with the Digital River shopping cart API. This bypasses the rest of the add to cart-checkout process and gives them a massive head-start over "real" people placing orders. Per some other information I saw this was supposed to be protected, but they found some method of getting in anyway. Surprise, surprise.

I love how a company that sells some of the best hardware for AI and machine learning applications can't sell some DGX A100 units to Digital River and help them create a neural network model to differentiate normal user behavior from automated activity in real time.

Of course, they don't care. Cards get sold, they get their money. And in this instance they have their reasons for selling as few founder's cards as possible to prop up margins, but I know you have seen us discuss that. :)

They'll have to draw the line somewhere so after about 2 minutes everyone would be waiting again. Then you'll have the customer support issues and drag on your support staff dealing with constant 'where's my card' inqueries. Finally there's probably drawbacks on how that type of revenue is managed on the books and 'it looks bad' to Wall Street.

They'll have to draw the line somewhere so after about 2 minutes everyone would be waiting again. Then you'll have the customer support issues and drag on your support staff dealing with constant 'where's my card' inqueries. Finally there's probably drawbacks on how that type of revenue is managed on the books and 'it looks bad' to Wall Street.

Well there's no need for them to charge until they have it to ship which shouldn't change how it looks on the books.

Personally I think the best solution is to have some invite only sales/pre-orders to return customers at all the regular pc components etailers and do the launch day line thing for B&M stores. Better anti-bot security would be nice at the very least but if they were circumventing digital river's security like someone mentioned I wonder if they're in violation of federal hacking laws especially if commercially available software or services is involved.

Finally there's probably drawbacks on how that type of revenue is managed on the books and 'it looks bad' to Wall Street.

Not so much for physical things. It’s just prepayment and an outstanding liability. Biggest problem is generally hedging currency variations and being a big enough fish to dictate terms to customer and to supplier. Otherwise pre-orders are just free loans and you make make money off it through treasury. The customer service part is a *much*bigger problem.

Software and services absolutely yes. Whole bunch of compliance issues with timing on that. Yay Enron and SOX... you fockers.

With this, its just nvidia dictating to retailers. They’re becoming increasingly like apple in that regard, retailers can either take the terms, or not sell. I imagine it just goes through the distributor with the same rules to them to be applied.

Was able to get a PS5 but everywhere I tried to get a 3080 was sold out. Was able to go ahead and hold one at Adorama for when stock comes in, so hopefully it come sooner than later.

PS5 was easy to get. Like super, super easy. Like I saw it went on sale, was worried it was going to sale out but had to drop off a package at post office - came back and pre-order was still up. Was pleasantly surprised.

The only site I saw it in stock was evga.com and the whole website there was crashing under load so I gave up and went back to sleep.

Good grief Ebay is filling up with 3080's to buy, Ebay could prevent selling of new released items for a given period like 2 months or more since most would be able to return item if not satisfied from original seller. Ebay and other auction sites are part of the problem as well.

Back