I bought a Pimax 4k HMD for $360

Seems a bit iffy to call something that isn't 4K, 4K.

No it's not. The reason is because first take this into account; when I first got my Vive less than 3% of Steam users had vr-ready machines which at the time required at least 980s I believe. So I am sure that number has jumped up a little-bit, but the number of folks out there currently who could even run native 4K at 90 FPS stable is way fewer than 3% I am sure. So, the best option out there for folks and to even dream of penetrating a market for 4K VR HMDs is to use some sort of scaling technology that is just as good as native 4K or very close to it.

For instance, I upgraded to a PS4 Pro from a regular PS4 when I bought my PSVR and just playing regular games like Ratchet and Clank and Watchdogs 2 in "upscaled 4K" looked spectacular and ran really stable. This is what VR needs; which is a way to render at less than native 4K/8K but upscale it so that you still get the benefits of the increases clarity either through checker-boarding or some other way. Otherwise, your minimum requirements for your HMD are going to be insane and won't sell anything. This is the reason why the PS4 Pro with certain games can say they run at 4K when they're really not natively running at 4K; but the picture difference between 4K upscaling and native is nigh indistinguishable to me let-alone the average person who just wants to play games.

It's all about creating technology and methodologies that work for the most common denominator, otherwise your sales suffer. Will there be native 4K HMDs? Of course, but they will be very niche for a long time until 4K becomes easier and cheaper to render let-alone at the recommended 90 FPS for VR so people don't get motion-sick.

Pimax gives me hope of Vive / Rift upgrades in the near future.

Especially with their much higher price points.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Too bad its only 1440p.

Would have been great if it was higher to look at those monster spreadsheets.

Sorry to Necro a thread, but I'm looking at one of the PiMax units as a seated display-only type VR headset.

Will this headset allow me to play non-VR games (Let's say Skyrim for example) with stereoscopic 3D?

Sorry to Necro a thread, but I'm looking at one of the PiMax units as a seated display-only type VR headset.

Will this headset allow me to play non-VR games (Let's say Skyrim for example) with stereoscopic 3D?
No, but if you get the PlaystationVR you can play Skyrim in full VR.

The PlayStation VR works on a PC?
No, unfortunately. What I'm saying is that there is no stereoscopic 3D VR version monitor games. The best you can do is use apps that allow you to play the game on a virtual 2D screen that you can resize to your liking or use vorpX

No, unfortunately. What I'm saying is that there is no stereoscopic 3D VR version monitor games. The best you can do is use apps that allow you to play the game on a virtual 2D screen that you can resize to your liking or use vorpX
That's a bummer. I guess my upgrade's going to a 1440p panel after all.

That's a bummer. I guess my upgrade's going to a 1440p panel after all.
Well you are missing out because VR is huge and you should definitely get a VR headset even if it's mostly for 2D application use, the new WindowsMR headsets have higher resolution displays that are great for working on 2D windows applications.

Well you are missing out because VR is huge and you should definitely get a VR headset even if it's mostly for 2D application use, the new WindowsMR headsets have higher resolution displays that are great for working on 2D windows applications.
I'm not interested, thanks.

I don't really care about using a VR headset for anything but games, and I extra don't care about the whole-room VR functions or motion controls. So if a standalone headset won't give me at least stereoscopic 3D functionality, then it's of no more value to me than a nice high-res display.

I'm not interested, thanks.

I don't really care about using a VR headset for anything but games, and I extra don't care about the whole-room VR functions or motion controls. So if a standalone headset won't give me at least stereoscopic 3D functionality, then it's of no more value to me than a nice high-res display.

It will but the game has to support it, which there are quite a few out there that do and that are coming out with support (Doom, Fallout 4 etc). Hell, even the old DK1 can play steam VR games that don't require motion controls.

Back