I bought a Mikrotik wireless wire set

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire

So this thing is pretty neat. I moved into a 130yr old condo with a strange floorplan which made it difficult to wire properly. The closet with my FIOS ONT was across the room (~20ft) from my media center, and I couldn't really get a decent signal to it.

It's essentially two 60GHz only routers, preconfigured in master/slave mode. I already had a Linksys wrt3200acm (which is also 60GHz) but the thing is a POS- keeps dropping connections, totally unreliable even in a/c mode.

The Mikrotic firmware is pretty overwhelming to me- but I managed to figure out how to get it to do what I want. Speedtests show I'm getting a consistent 660/960Mbps internet connection to my entertainment center, which is amazing as hell. File transfers within the network are even faster.

Here's the case of specialized hardware, made to do one thing, and one thing only and do it well. I've been through 3 commercial routers from the big companies and they all suck.

I'm totally impressed by this thing for $180.

I'm going to try and fool around with them some more and see if I can get a better handle on the firmware.

They have whole training regimes for their firmware- but that's also due to the extreme myriad of potential implementations.

They have whole training regimes for their firmware- but that's also due to the extreme myriad of potential implementations.
It's really quite impressive how much is there. I can't even figure out how to get the firmware updated because I get a DNS error. I'm hesistant to post on their user forum because I can tell a lot of the answers are "take a network class". I'm sure there is a way to tweak the channel settings, I should be able to get my downstream even faster. I haven't got to that point yet.

I'll figure it out eventually.

You don't really have to tinker with the settings at all. It basically just works and quite well at that.

You don't really have to tinker with the settings at all. It basically just works and quite well at that.
Well, I had to a little because I needed to put a standard router before it so I could get a wire to my PC. Other than that it works well.

That could be the reason why I can't get it to automatically update the firmware.

Back