I bought a bfg 6800gt oc 256mb and i feel cheated

sirmanny

n00b
hello everyone,

8 months ago i bought a bfg6800 gt oc 256 mb from zipzoomfly for $425(if i remember correctly). 5 days ago i start getting heavy artifacting sometimes the screen will just go off as in sleep mode and the computer is still on, leading me to believe that for some reason the monitor isnt getting a signal from the video card. I called bfg and they were very helpful they told me to uninstall the video drivers and the chipset drivers and try reinstalling them, it didnt help.

The problems that i have are that now i will be without a video card for at least a week and that they will be sending me a remanufactured card to replace my card. Its a great inconvience for me to be without my computer for over a week but i will have to deal with it. What really bothers me is i spent a lot of money for this card (which is only 8 months old) and now i have to be satisfied with a remanufactured card. Its not my fault they sent me a faulty card.

Not to mention the fact that i have to pay for shipping.

anyone have similar problems.

great site! I have been coming to this site for over 5 years. i base all my computer purchases on your recomendations. keep up the good work.

thanks

don't sweat it. You will eventually get a fully functioning card that you probably won't be able to tell a difference between. and then if that card breaks after 3 or 5 or 8 years from now - you can get it replaced again.

I had the same card - I bought it about the same time too (I think my price was $429). I sold mine a week ago for $300. (and I don't think it would have sold for that much if it wasn't a BFG brand with lifetime warranty) I think it was well worth it.

seanmcd said:
don't sweat it. You will eventually get a fully functioning card that you probably won't be able to tell a difference between. and then if that card breaks after 3 or 5 or 8 years from now - you can get it replaced again.

I had the same card - I bought it about the same time too (I think my price was $429). I sold mine a week ago for $300. (and I don't think it would have sold for that much if it wasn't a BFG brand with lifetime warranty) I think it was well worth it.

Did you sell it over Ebay?

why would hardocp recommend bfg if they send you bad cards to replace faulty ones.

'cuase theyve only been doing it recently.

they sent back the exact same dead card once, actually. and no, its not my system - its been tested in several and artifacts in the bios. their quality control has gone down the tubes. im currently on my 4th 6800GT from them, and its messed up.

i had never had problems with them before a couple of months ago.

thanks for the info lith. In the near future i will be buying a geforce 7800 series video card.
i dont think i will be buying the card from bfg.

evga is the way to go IMO. i got a 7800GT CO from newegg (256-p2-516) which came clocked at 470/1.2 with no problems. wicked fast card with a lifetime warranty that covers aftermarket cooling and overclocking. cant get any better than that.

That's really unfortunate that they are going down the tubes because I was really happy with my 6800 OC; I unlocked and OCed with not one hitch...

Maybe they'll pull out and its just a streak...

Anyway, sometimes remanufactured cards are better just because they have already been run through and are now proven to work, or at least thats the theory.

hey lithium i was looking at that evga card looks great thats the one im going to buy thanks for the help.

i think hardocp needs to take another look at bfg, i dont think they are as good as when the first entered the market.

i have an asus a8v deluxe motherboard its a good motherboard but its AGP. What is a good pci express motherboard i can use with my a64 3800+ and evga 7800gt that im going to buy.

thanks

You know, I never really liked BFG. Even back before eVGA became the "it" card, BFG still wasn't too hot to me. I prefered Leadtek, because their bundles seriously kicked ass. Now they're skimping on their 7800GTX and 7800GT models, and the games are getting a bit old. XFX comes with Far Cry and COD2, which is nice. I'm glad I picked up my 7800GT when it came with BF2. :)

Usually people will only post their bad experiences here which is why you hear of people getting 5 bad cards in row (I'm sure that happened :rolleyes: ) and stuff like that. But I had a very good experience with BFG when my first BFG card was effed from the start (6600gt) and about 6 days later I got my replacement card and that has been working ever since. Actually come to think of it, this December will mark a whole year that I have had that card.

And even though I bought the 6600gt and had to RMA it, I still went BFG for my 7800gtx. Because I knew if my 7800 would be messed up I could easily get a replacement with no fuss.

5 bad cards in row (I'm sure that happened :rolleyes: )
you keep on thinking that. i DID get 4 bad cards in a row, MULTIPLE good cards have proved this, from a PCX5300 to a 7800GT. (with both NV and ATI cards in the middle)

BTW, each one of hte dead RMA cards had something different wrong with it.

Well, I can't comment on tech support, but my BFG 6800OC overclocks decently well and with an aftermarket air cooler (NOT nVSilencer) it goes 375/850 (used to go higher but I got artifacts in Halo at 385/870)...runs Doom 3 at high 1024x768 (yes I'm stuck with a 17" CRT...pity me, but honestly if I had anything larger my card might not be up for that...128MB frame buffers suck). Runs HL2 at High everything with 4AA/8AF, no issues. 81FPS in CS:S test IIRC. BFG is good, as long as you don't need tech support apparently. Which sucks cause I went with them b/c of their GOOD reputation regarding support, sad.

OP:
Regardless how old your card is (even if it's one week old), you should NEVER count on getting a new card back from RMA- if you do, consider yourself very lucky.

BFG's warranty covers you for your lifetime. If your card dies in five years, do you honestly expect them to ship you a brand new card as a replacement? Probably not.
If your card dies in three years, do you expect a new card? Still probably not.
How about one year, when the card you paid for is already discontinued and out of stock?
The point is, where do you draw the line? The warranty says you will be provided with a card of comparable or superior performance, PERIOD. It doesn't say anything about "new" vs "used" or "refurbished," it doesn't even say it'll be pretty and shiny. What it does say is that it will be functional.

Oh, and consider me a BFG fan. I RMA'd an FX5900 a few months back, had a perfectly functioning card in my hands later the same week. Didn't expect any free upgrades, so I got exactly what I expected from them under the terms of the warranty. Consider me a fan for life.

i <3 bfg. had to rma 2 6600gt's, located in illinois, great support experience, and never recieved a dead card.

:) happy

Back