I Bought a 6900 XT Today!

I Bought a 6900 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6900 XT.

Votes: 24 8.3%
  • I tried to buy a 6900 XT and failed.

Votes: 65 22.5%
  • I was going to buy a 6900 XT but the price was too far over MSRP.

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • I did not try to buy a 6900 XT at all.

Votes: 190 65.7%

• Total voters
You can tell a lot about a person by the cabling they have. When I look for cars & they have an aftermarket stereo in it, I always look behind the dash, if its a rats nest I don't bother. That tells me that the car hasn't been properly maintained. Even if the car looks "Nice".
I've heard of managers checking out people's cars when they're interviewing at a company. A cluttered car shows disorganization that carries over to work. I might be guilty of that as well as bad cable management, but luckily it seems like newer cases are implementing some nice features to make it easier to hide the mess.

IMG_20210211_145816 - Copy.jpg

About 6 x 6900's and 6-7 6800's at the local microcenter in the middle of the day. Prices were kinda crazy though, about $1049 for the 6800s and $1400ish for the 6900s. Zero 3xxx series nVidia cards for ETH miners :cry:

View attachment 328462

About 6 x 6900's and 6-7 6800's at the local microcenter in the middle of the day. Prices were kinda crazy though, about $1049 for the 6800s and $1400ish for the 6900s. Zero 3xxx series nVidia cards for ETH miners :cry:

Microcenter gouging too? Wow. This truly is the end then. Good riddance!

Yeah yeah, I know, its not gouging if its a non essential, blah blah blah.

No matter how badly I want a new card, I do not want one that badly to pay that much extra for one. Plus even if I did, 2 weeks after I bought one the mining craze would crash and all the cards would massively drop in price.

ddd
Microcenter gouging too? Wow. This truly is the end then. Good riddance!

Yeah yeah, I know, its not gouging if its a non essential, blah blah blah.
its not microcenter price gouging. Did you totally miss that all manufacturer the whole tariff thing when all manufacturers started increasing their price?

Wow they actually have some Red Devil's. Those are hard to come by.

They are becoming more and more available. They are not great at mining but still they all raised priced due to tariff, but not many miners are buying them due to ampere cards being mining beasts.

Well shit, pack it in boys. We might as well not even buy em now.
? I was just saying why they last longer then Ampere cards. Powercolor 6900xt on newegg was available fore like an hour last time on newegg.

They are becoming more and more available. They are not great at mining but still they all raised priced due to tariff, but not many miners are buying them due to ampere cards being mining beasts.
NE had Red Devils in stock for at least an hour at a time recently.

Received, installed, running:

Box.jpgOpenBox.jpg6900XTin.jpg
Currently mining as well :). Just on the side, will be doing much more than mining. It just adds to the pool of cards when available.

Shit Ive been gaming hard on my 69 ref card since what a week or two after release. Love it!

Ive had a 3070, 3080, 3090, 6900xt. All sold but not my beloved 6900xt. Im a microcenter camper. Got a few cards playin the game. Not playin that game anymore though. Havent been to microcenter since like december something.

Man one of these days ill get a water block for it.

"Tariffs" ....Right.:rolleyes:

What a load of bullshit.
Actually, I'm also calling BS on this whole tariff thing as the cause, versus pure greed due to demand, until someone shows data to support it. This reason quickly popped up as rumors all over the Net and has never been authenticated AFAIK. Media has never pointed to the specifics which would be under Section 301 and there's no matching HS code for importing video cards being affected.

These types of tariff war's are mostly against specific industries like raw materials and major items like laptops and cell phones, etc. But searching for video cards results in zero returns, none. If someone has facts and data please post and I'll believe it.

But anyway I managed to buy and then later sell my 6900XT at retail w/o any crazy markup.

Actually, I'm also calling BS on this whole tariff thing as the cause, versus pure greed due to demand, until someone shows data to support it. This reason quickly popped up as rumors all over the Net and has never been authenticated AFAIK. Media has never pointed to the specifics which would be under Section 301 and there's no matching HS code for importing video cards being affected.

These types of tariff war's are mostly against specific industries like raw materials and major items like laptops and cell phones, etc. But searching for video cards results in zero returns, none. If someone has facts and data please post and I'll believe it.

But anyway I managed to buy and then later sell my 6900XT at retail w/o any crazy markup.
Yeah, someone said its not the video cards themselves but the components (capacitors ect.) that are under the tariff. If that were the case then laptops, TV's and pretty much everything else would be higher, and we don't see that. TV's are cheaper than ever.

Like you said man, it all boils down to greed. They just use Tariff's as an excuse because its the most convenient answer, often times it fits their social agenda as well.

I'd love to find a Nitro+ 6900XT but at current prices my 6800XT will have to do.

Honestly, I wanted a 6800xt initially, I think when they're both overclocked the difference is peanuts. I just couldn't find a 6800xt and I found a 6900xt at msrp and jumped on it.

Honestly, I wanted a 6800xt initially, I think when they're both overclocked the difference is peanuts. I just couldn't find a 6800xt and I found a 6900xt at msrp and jumped on it.
Same. I'm glad I ignored all the reviewers and just went with it. 6800XTs cost more at MSRP now than my 6900XT did. Still holding out hope for a power limit increase in the future so we can overclock higher.

Same. I'm glad I ignored all the reviewers and just went with it. 6800XTs cost more at MSRP now than my 6900XT did. Still holding out hope for a power limit increase in the future so we can overclock higher.

6800 non xts are selling for $1100 from stores! Absolute madness. Power limit increase would be gravy on top!

I've had mixed results with MPT it was great for benching but I couldn't get any kind of 24/7 clocks out of it.

Yeah I'm really happy with my Nitro+. It has been rock solid. Plus it looks pretty good in my setup.

Same. My N+ been rock solid and hits stock/mildly modded 3090 fps with mpt.

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_213435525.jpg
    IMG_20210228_213435525.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 0
I feel like I tried MPT with vega 64 and didn't have an y luck, maybe I should give it a go on the 6900

I've had decent luck with mpt; however, like most folks on air, the power ceiling comes at around 360-370w due to thermals (~102-104* junction temps). I backed things down to 330w (~95-98* junction) and still hit 20k in TimeSpy and see good fps improvements from stock.

Admittedly, the extra 30w from mpt vs just maxing the power slider in Adrenalin is prob only worth 1-2 fps in exchange for a 5-7* increase in temps.

Last edited:
I've had decent luck with mpt; however, like most folks on air, the power ceiling comes at around 360-370w due to thermals (~102-104* junction temps). I backed things down to 330w (~95-98* junction) and still hit 20k in TimeSpy and see good fps improvements from stock.

Admittedly, the extra 30w from mpt vs just maxing the power slider in Adrenalin is prob only worth 1-2 fps in exchange for a 5-7* increase in temps.
Im currently loading at 55c junction with 15% power limit so i have some thermal headroom

Im currently loading at 55c junction with 15% power limit so i have some thermal headroom
You're on a custom loop tho, so I'd definitely use MPT then. Not sure if a 2x 8-pin pcie setup (reference card, right?) can pull more than about 375w (150/each 8-pin + 75w x16 slot), but should give you some nice gains. If you give it a go, post the results in the 6800/6900 OC thread.

You're on a custom loop tho, so I'd definitely use MPT then. Not sure if a 2x 8-pin pcie setup (reference card, right?) can pull more than about 375w (150/each 8-pin + 75w x16 slot), but should give you some nice gains. If you give it a go, post the results in the 6800/6900 OC thread.

i think im going to check it out, thanks for the encouragement!

Thinking about getting a 6900 XT, are there any major issues? The last time I had an AMD card was a 5700 XT and it was a nightmare, half of the time the card did not work properly and it would either crash or freeze my entire PC with a solid green screen, any issues like that with the 6000 series?

Thinking about getting a 6900 XT, are there any major issues? The last time I had an AMD card was a 5700 XT and it was a nightmare, half of the time the card did not work properly and it would either crash or freeze my entire PC with a solid green screen, any issues like that with the 6000 series?
Other then grossly over priced at retail they are fine. The 3 models my MC has haven't budged all weekend. 1 model for $1820, $2100 and $2500..

Running a 6800 Nitro+ and it has been flawless since day one.

Good luck finding a 6900 XT. This was my card of choice, but I had to "settle" on the 6800 Nitro+ after being selected in a Shuffle.

Running a 6800 Nitro+ and it has been flawless since day one.

Good luck finding a 6900 XT. This was my card of choice, but I had to "settle" on the 6800 Nitro+ after being selected in a Shuffle.
I had the opposite. I wanted a red devil 6800xt and settled for a msi 6900xt because they just happened to have it in stock when I checked in December. The 6900xt has been awesome.

Reactions: MrC4
like this
Back