I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
Got my card! So far so good, except my i5-8600 is bottlenecking me at times..lol! Apex Legends, 1440p maxed out, my CPU can do 100% runs for several minutes at a time, to which my FPS drops down round 100FPS (144Mhz monitor) Now i need to find a 5000 series AMD cpu and build out that side i guess

I got a Nitro + SE but I wanted a 6900. So far it's a pretty decent card although it is a behemoth! I think it was worried it wouldn't fit in my Corsair Crystal 280x case but it fit no problem! Even has about a 1/2 in. left!

Got my card! So far so good, except my i5-8600 is bottlenecking me at times..lol! Apex Legends, 1440p maxed out, my CPU can do 100% runs for several minutes at a time, to which my FPS drops down round 100FPS (144Mhz monitor) Now i need to find a 5000 series AMD cpu and build out that side i guess

That's exactly how I feel with my 6700K now that I have an RX 6800.

In case anybody is wondering the Nitro + SE totally fits inside a Corsair Crystal 280X micro ATX case with about a 1/2 in. to spare.
20210117_195638[1].jpg

This is long but I am so excited!

I decided to start getting parts for a new build today. Ordered a LL lancool II mesh performance and a 850 watt Seasonic psu.
Called up my friend to see if he wanted to make the run to the MN Micro Center. We got there around 3:30 pm. I went right to the video card section to see if they happened to get any cards in and if they had any left in stock. I had my list of other parts to buy if I could get a new video card.

To my surprise they had two 6800's and 3 5700 XT's, one 3090 and a couple of 3070's. There was one person waiting for an employee to get one of the 6800's, they were going for $930. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that much on a 6800 so I stood there and thought about it. I really had my heart set on a 6800 XT but knew how hard these are to get. Then my buddy came and got me to help make sure he was getting the correct ssd for his system and I left the 6800 behind.

I decided that yes, I will buy that last 6800. I finished helping my friend and went to get a salesman to get it for me and he was already getting it for someone else.
Bummer for me. I got to talking with the salesman and he told me they could maybe have something up front, I guess some people put it on a hold and if they don't buy it in an hour or so the staff puts it back in the cabinet. I went about looking at other items as I started to think I could just buy everything now and put in the old 660 ti I have.

The salesman came and found me after a few minutes and he had a 6800 XT for me! I was like wow, awesome! So I went about working with him to get a MB, ram and cpu and a drive. I had decided to just get a 3600 because the 5600X and 5800X were sold out. He said wait a minute and disappeared for a few minutes.
He came back with a 5600X!

So in my first trip to Micro Center since May I scored a 5600X and a 6800 XT! God dam lucky I was today. The 6800 XT did cost a bit though, $1,030.00, but I got one.
Spent around $2,450 all sad and done. In my excitement I forgot to buy a windows key. But I can worry about that later.
Tomorrow I will start the build, so happy right now.

@IKV1476 You lucky bastard!

I don't know about the bent fins mine are a little off I guess but you really can't tell unless you're looking for it or taking high res pics,

This is long but I am so excited!

I decided to start getting parts for a new build today. Ordered a LL lancool II mesh performance and a 850 watt Seasonic psu.
Called up my friend to see if he wanted to make the run to the MN Micro Center. We got there around 3:30 pm. I went right to the video card section to see if they happened to get any cards in and if they had any left in stock. I had my list of other parts to buy if I could get a new video card.

To my surprise they had two 6800's and 3 5700 XT's, one 3090 and a couple of 3070's. There was one person waiting for an employee to get one of the 6800's, they were going for $930. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that much on a 6800 so I stood there and thought about it. I really had my heart set on a 6800 XT but knew how hard these are to get. Then my buddy came and got me to help make sure he was getting the correct ssd for his system and I left the 6800 behind.

I decided that yes, I will buy that last 6800. I finished helping my friend and went to get a salesman to get it for me and he was already getting it for someone else.
Bummer for me. I got to talking with the salesman and he told me they could maybe have something up front, I guess some people put it on a hold and if they don't buy it in an hour or so the staff puts it back in the cabinet. I went about looking at other items as I started to think I could just buy everything now and put in the old 660 ti I have.

The salesman came and found me after a few minutes and he had a 6800 XT for me! I was like wow, awesome! So I went about working with him to get a MB, ram and cpu and a drive. I had decided to just get a 3600 because the 5600X and 5800X were sold out. He said wait a minute and disappeared for a few minutes.
He came back with a 5600X!

So in my first trip to Micro Center since May I scored a 5600X and a 6800 XT! God dam lucky I was today. The 6800 XT did cost a bit though, $1,030.00, but I got one.
Spent around $2,450 all sad and done. In my excitement I forgot to buy a windows key. But I can worry about that later.
Tomorrow I will start the build, so happy right now.

Awsome and ouch. When you talk about 1030 is that before or after taxes? Which model was that?

Anyone running those on a 500 chipset with a 5000 series CPU>? Would like to know if SAM works on all populated slots.
The 5950x is tempting with a few of these.

Fuckin lol

$1100?!!! That's just shy of double the MSRP for that card.

Fuck Microcenter.
MSRP is $799 for the red devil. 1100 seems... high, but not double high.
edit: Wait, that's before the tariff.

So that should be 1000 MSRP now, 1100 after tax is ... yep. About right.

Fuckin lol

$1100?!!! That's just shy of double the MSRP for that card.

Fuck Microcenter.

I think MSRP/Cost has risen, but no one has really spoken about it. It's pretty much impossible to find these cards at MSRP anywhere other than AMD.com

I think MSRP/Cost has risen, but no one has really spoken about it. It's pretty much impossible to find these cards at MSRP anywhere other than AMD.com
Yeah, that was my edit. Right after I hit submit I realized that was the pre-release article, and didn't include the tariff that hit... which makes the price fit.

Sucks, but it now makes a LOT of sense.

Its certainly a sellers market for everything right now. Stores will continue to mark up the prices as long as people are willing to pay it.

Its certainly a sellers market for everything right now. Stores will continue to mark up the prices as long as people are willing to pay it.
That's logical and expected. May not like it, but it's business.

Well like said in the first place I only paid a little over $500 out of pocket. So no biggie but I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had to pay the full price. Besides it's gone to a good home courtesy of ebay.

And no I didn't charge scalper prices. I just about broke even with MSRP after shipping and fees. I like the Nitro + better so I kept that one.

PSA: The Red Devil also fits in the Crystal 280x case... Just barely. Sorry no pictures this time and yes with fans installed in the front and bottom.

The prices are insane on these cards now. I understand that people are grabbing what they can but you can get a 3080 for the about the same price of a 6800 atm from MC. That is if you can find stock of AMD cards. There is 1 6800xt in stock as of this morning for $1065. That is the first time I seen stock.

The prices are insane on these cards now. I understand that people are grabbing what they can but you can get a 3080 for the about the same price of a 6800 atm from MC. That is if you can find stock of AMD cards. There is 1 6800xt in stock as of this morning for $1065. That is the first time I seen stock.
I bet they don't have any. Their inventory system is not accurate. If it says they have 10 or more you have a good chance of finding one on the shelf. The day I got the Red Devil it wasn't showing any in stock on line.

I bet they don't have any. Their inventory system is not accurate. If it says they have 10 or more you have a good chance of finding one on the shelf. The day I got the Red Devil it wasn't showing any in stock on line.
Given that isn't just says one I believe they will have one for opening. Yea just check and it is gone now.

If you go in a store and really want one ask a salesman if they have any up front on "hold". When I got mine it was actually sitting up front with someone else's name on it.
That person did not buy it after an hour or so and I was able to get it. It is a gamble as to what they will have in the store but if you have any other reason to go then it could be worth the trip, especially if you want to spend an hour or two just looking around, you may be able to get your hands on a card. Price is what it is though, buy at these high prices or wait. I don't think prices are coming down much if ever, forever. This may be the new price points. Good luck.

Weird little chain of events for me:
-Put my 3080 up for trade here on [H] for a 6800XT, the card I originally wanted
-Accepted a deal with a member for a different card
-I go post office ship the 3080 the following day
-After my stop at the post office I go to Micro Center to pick up a monitor
-(It's 4:30PM) At the checkout lane, in the cages, I see one lonely card: it's a 6800XT. I think to myself "no way it's not claimed. Don't even think about it". I ask the employee, he says "it's probably claimed but let me check with the supervisor". Supervisor comes over, finds out it's not claimed (I guess vouchers expire at 3PM), they're all as surprised as I am 🥳

Weird little chain of events for me:
-Put my 3080 up for trade here on [H] for a 6800XT, the card I originally wanted
-Accepted a deal with a member for a different card
-I go post office ship the 3080 the following day
-After my stop at the post office I go to Micro Center to pick up a monitor
-(It's 4:30PM) At the checkout lane, in the cages, I see one lonely card: it's a 6800XT. I think to myself "no way it's not claimed. Don't even think about it". I ask the employee, he says "it's probably claimed but let me check with the supervisor". Supervisor comes over, finds out it's not claimed (I guess vouchers expire at 3PM), they're all as surprised as I am 🥳
And how much was said card going for because you probably saved yourself some money by making a trade.

And how much was said card going for because you probably saved yourself some money by making a trade.
I actually was thinking of returning the XT truthfully. I haven't opened it, it was more of a grab of opportunity more than a need for it, since I made that trade anyway. I'll pay a lot for the XT upgrade for performance I don't think I need if I keep the XT (going by the performance of the 3080 I traded to the member - where almost all my games would hit my monitor refresh rate cap of 165FPS for the most part anyway).

It was a PowerColor Red Dragon 6800XT which totalled to $1150 after tax. A lot.. :beaver:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually was thinking of returning the XT truthfully. I haven't opened it, it was more of a grab of opportunity more than a need for it, since I made that trade anyway. I'll pay a lot for the XT upgrade for performance I don't think I need if I keep the XT (going by the performance of the 3080 I traded to the member - where almost all my games would hit my monitor refresh rate cap of 165FPS for the most part anyway).

It was a PowerColor Red Dragon 6800XT which totalled to $1150 after tax. A lot.. :beaver:
You have 30 days so open it decide which one you want to keep then return or sell the other one. If you return it opened someone else gets it for a slight discount. Win Win Microcenter makes money either way.

Wait really? They sell open box GPUs like that for a discount? I figured they send them back to the manufacturer to be refurbished and resealed to be resold as new, costing both MC and the manufacturer money. I didn't want to open it because of that. I am curious!

Yep just like motherboards. I've bought several open box items from them. They have a test bench in store if they don't find a problem with it then it will likely be put back up for sale with a yellow sticker on it. I'm not sure what the exact process is but I do know they sell all manor of open box items.

I bought a Nitro+ 6800 and not the XT or SE version because it would fit in a Meshify C mini. The 6800 nitro + barely fits sparring 5mm

Does forcing vsync and/or using FRTC (frame rate limiting) in Adrenaline work for anything, for anyone? I've tried using it all 15 or so video games installed on my computer, neither feature works on any video game... both of these functions were available in NVCP on my 3080 and worked flawlessly in every game

Does forcing vsync and/or using FRTC (frame rate limiting) in Adrenaline work for anything, for anyone? I've tried using it all 15 or so video games installed on my computer, neither feature works on any video game... both of these functions were available in NVCP on my 3080 and worked flawlessly in every game
If you want to limit your FPS. Use the Radeon Chill sliders.

I have one game that refused to run vsynch so I opened the game and minimized it then set a min 59 max 60 fps cap in adrenaline software and that works everytime I start the game. Other than that specific game vsynch works fine for me.

If you force vsync through Adrenaline, does it clamp your frame rate to your monitors max frame rate for you as the tooltip advertises?

I'm not sure what to do or why this isn't working then. I had a 3080 in this PC before, but I used DDU to remove nVidia things, put the 6800XT in, and installed Adrenaline. I even used DDU to uninstall and reinstall Adrenaline yesterday to try to fix it but no luck.

Mystery partially solved,
According to this AMD article:
Code:
NOTE! Wait for Vertical Refresh only works OpenGL 3D
applications. When using other APIs such as DirectX® or Vulkan®, VSync
is controlled via the 3D application graphics settings.

Back