I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
Well I thought I was "settling" for a Radeon 6800 as that is the only card I could find on stock on Newegg and snag before thousands of card hunters took it away from me. I was WRONG.
This video card is BLAZING fast!
It's a 100% FPS improvement for me in Shadow of the Tombraider over my previous EVGA GTX 1080 FTW and I game at 3440x1440 Ultrawide! 60 FPS to >120 FPS!
That makes for a massive smoothness difference I can actually FEEL.

On top of that in Bannerlord, on the 1080 it could sometimes slow to a CRAWL during massive siege battles of 500 vs 500 soldiers.
With the 6800 I no longer had stuttering and slideshow animations when the armies collide! I'm loving it!

This has been my best upgrade in years and I can tell the generational LEAP that has been made!
Hope those of you who want it can get yourselves one. And if you ever feel doubtful of "settling" for a 6800, DON'T! Just complete that purchase before someone else does!
The 6800 is still going to feel like a huge improvement if you are holding over from Pascal or older and that 16GB of VRAM is going to last a long time.

Attachments

• SOT RX6800 bench.jpg
    SOT RX6800 bench.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 0
Well I thought I was "settling" for a Radeon 6800 as that is the only card I could find on stock on Newegg and snag before thousands of card hunters took it away from me. I was WRONG.
This video card is BLAZING fast!
It's a 100% FPS improvement for me in Shadow of the Tombraider over my previous EVGA GTX 1080 FTW and I game at 3440x1440 Ultrawide! 60 FPS to >120 FPS!
That makes for a massive smoothness difference I can actually FEEL.

On top of that in Bannerlord, on the 1080 it could sometimes slow to a CRAWL during massive siege battles of 500 vs 500 soldiers.
With the 6800 I no longer had stuttering and slideshow animations when the armies collide! I'm loving it!

This has been my best upgrade in years and I can tell the generational LEAP that has been made!
Hope those of you who want it can get yourselves one. And if you ever feel doubtful of "settling" for a 6800, DON'T! Just complete that purchase before someone else does!
The 6800 is still going to feel like a huge improvement if you are holding over from Pascal or older and that 16GB of VRAM is going to last a long time.

Perfect.

My 5700xt on water feels like it just barely cuts the mustard at 3440x1440 so excited for this now. thanks!

I got a Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT off of eBay. While it was clearly new and still sealed, it was completely dead. No fans spinning, no lights lighting, no video signal. Old card back in the system works fine. I'm happy the seller agreed to take it back but we are both of course very disappointed.

Has NewEgg been getting stock consistently? It feels like the 6XXX series is worse than than the Ampere cards.
Big drop last night. That’s when I got mine ordered; and I had to remove the vga protection plan and log in. Twice. Drop on the fancier ones lasted about a minute.
Clued in from discord.

Has NewEgg been getting stock consistently? It feels like the 6XXX series is worse than than the Ampere cards.
I’ve been getting almost daily pings for the past two weeks from Amazon and Newegg with Best Buy this week

There have been a couple 6900xt reference bundles drop at newegg over the last couple days. That's it though for the 6900 anyway.

Nice, I'm looking into getting the 6800XT variant, if there is one. It seems these cards just need their Jtemp under control and they can sit at 2.7Ghz+ all day.

afaik, 6800 ref and 6800xt ref are same pcb?

Also source on the 2.7GHz with jct under control?

thx!

source on the 2.7GHz with jct under control?

thx!
JayzTwoCent's recent WC AMD build has it sitting very pretty at 2.6Ghz+ stable. And, my own ref card has been 2.7Ghz stable too with some "cooling maneuvers" in my room while benching on air, lol. These cards can fly!

Last edited:
Playing TD2, junction temps hitting 95c with fan speeds at 1700rpm. Rage mode is all I have enabled. Seems pretty warm to me? Gigabyte reference card. Case flow and ambient temps are good.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the deal is here but it seems like my fan curve is basically ignored by wattman. It alwyas bumps the fans up to 1700-1800rpm no matter what I set the curve at. Is wattman looking at GPU or junction temps when setting curve points?

Last edited:
Has anyone actually seen an AMD 6800 xt for sale on Best Buy in the last few weeks? Seems like if you are not running a bot on NE or have a MC locally, you just are not going to have a chance at buying one.
(sad face)

Has anyone actually seen an AMD 6800 xt for sale on Best Buy in the last few weeks? Seems like if you are not running a bot on NE or have a MC locally, you just are not going to have a chance at buying one.
(sad face)
Nope, but the fancier drops on Newegg at least last a few seconds longer - Hybrids and the like.

(sad face)
The XFX 6800 XT MERC was in stock during the last two Best Buy drops on 12/08 and 12/22 according to Discord notifications.

Newegg doesn't seem to consistently post tweets for stock drops on the 6800/6900. There was a drop yesterday, but the only notification was for the xbox.

I still saw the ATR stonks alert pop and ran out to my computer. Literally ONE minute after I saw the alert pop, and it was not possible to add any of the cards to my cart. It kept erroring out, over and over and over.

I give up. I'm going to run a bot against newegg now, so sick and tired of this baloney.

Newegg doesn't seem to consistently post tweets for stock drops on the 6800/6900. There was a drop yesterday, but the only notification was for the xbox.

I still saw the ATR stonks alert pop and ran out to my computer. Literally ONE minute after I saw the alert pop, and it was not possible to add any of the cards to my cart. It kept erroring out, over and over and over.

I give up. I'm going to run a bot against newegg now, so sick and tired of this baloney
It's all in the link I posted man. The drop times for Newegg how to score the card etc. Also side note you it's "bologna" for God sakes. Literally ^^^^^^

I'll be running the bot from 4-5PM PDT. I'm not going to try and manually get one. I'm done with that. Literally one minute is too much time if you miss the drop. I was right on it yesterday within 60 seconds, and could not get anything.

So yah, I'm done with this bologna. :p
lol

I give up. I'm going to run a bot against newegg now, so sick and tired of this baloney.
Unfortunately Newegg is heavily botted, yes. It's been cat-and-mouse with Newegg banning accounts suspected of botting activity (like hardcore bans of your mailing address, credit card, IP, any new accounts you try to make also get banned - its no joke) but right now bots are still winning.

Newegg not tweeting the alert is actually a good thing since it might cut down 5-10% of potential traffic and give you a slight edge, if you just assume every day around the same timeframe a drop is happening.

Unfortunately mere mortals really only have a chance if you're able to check out in one-click on the Newegg mobile app with ApplePay. I have Android so I can't, but it's where I see the most manual success.

I dumped by 5700 a few months back to wait for a Big Navi. But who knows how long that's gonna be. Or at how inflated a price.

So I saw an OOS 5700 last night at retail on Amazon and snagged it.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
Grats!! I been trying to get one but no luck.

good luck! It's been really difficult, I follow all the discords and telegrams. I got a gigabyte 6800 on amazon and ALMOST an asus 6800 for my friend on asus store, but my card did fraud protection and I lost it :(

I've never even seen one in stock. The only way I was able to get one was trading here in the forums for a 5900x CPU I had.

Have to follow all the discords and telegrams. I see 6800s almost every day. Being able to buy one is a different story.
I’m still trying to trade mine for a different one, but they’re hard enough to get no one wants to trade

So got my 6800 yesterday paired with my 3900x and fairly tight memory (3200 14-13-13-26) fired up firestrike got around 42k in graphics at stock. Some tweaking and hit 44.9k. For reference my 5700xt on water hit around 30K which was the highest I could get it, I believe stock was ~27k. My card seems to be okay at approx. 2.4GHz with ~2100MHz on the memory.

Resolution of 3440x1440 nn apex legends fully maxed out I am hitting 130-144fps (likely exceeding 144fps but Apex frame caps to your refresh rate unless you do a tweak to the launcher). 5700xt in comparison was ~80 to 110fps. Cyberpunk with a mix of settings I am at 60-80fps whereas I was setting at 30-50fps on the 5700xt.

Anyone interested in mining performance, it seems to get around ~60MHs on pheonix miner (I mine occasionally in the winter when it's profitable and the house is cold).

All in all a very solid upgrade, seems to be approx. a 50-75% upgrade over my 5700xt. Eager to get it on water.

Attachments

• 44.9kFS.png
    44.9kFS.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
been trying to get the red devil version its a beast. of card only settling would be a ref card. seen some great reviews of the red devil 6800xt, hope they make a 6900xt red devil.

been trying to get the red devil version its a beast. of card only settling would be a ref card. seen some great reviews of the red devil 6800xt, hope they make a 6900xt red devil.

Currently have the reference and it's very nice. Fantastic build quality and runs cool and quiet. If you can't get the red devil you should still consider reference IMO.

thank you MrC4 now to wait on stock im building a All AMD rig in the AZZA Pyramid case and want to have a absolute beast of a machine in there. just need stock to be available lets prey the news is real and they find a way to enforce these anti scalping laws that will hopefully hand out prison sentences to repeat offenders. then maybe we can actually buy these things,

So got my 6800 yesterday paired with my 3900x and fairly tight memory (3200 14-13-13-26) fired up firestrike got around 42k in graphics at stock. Some tweaking and hit 44.9k. For reference my 5700xt on water hit around 30K which was the highest I could get it, I believe stock was ~27k. My card seems to be okay at approx. 2.4GHz with ~2100MHz on the memory.

Resolution of 3440x1440 nn apex legends fully maxed out I am hitting 130-144fps (likely exceeding 144fps but Apex frame caps to your refresh rate unless you do a tweak to the launcher). 5700xt in comparison was ~80 to 110fps. Cyberpunk with a mix of settings I am at 60-80fps whereas I was setting at 30-50fps on the 5700xt.

Anyone interested in mining performance, it seems to get around ~60MHs on pheonix miner (I mine occasionally in the winter when it's profitable and the house is cold).

All in all a very solid upgrade, seems to be approx. a 50-75% upgrade over my 5700xt. Eager to get it on water.
Very nice, the scaling between our cards is almost exactly matched to the 20% core difference. I'm curious what your max power goes to on the 6800 with +15% applied, you might be able to go higher in clock speed with more undervolting.

Attachments

• 54.4k.jpg
    54.4k.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 0
Very nice, the scaling between our cards is almost exactly matched to the 20% core difference. I'm curious what your max power goes to on the 6800 with +15% applied, you might be able to go higher in clock speed with more undervolting.

Wow! Now I want a 6800xt :p I will toy with voltage and see what happens

Wow! Now I want a 6800xt :p I will toy with voltage and see what happens
When I had it on air, ideal for my card was 1025mV and 2550mhz with the power slider maximized. Under water it is using a bit less power so I could take it to 1035 at 2640mhz.

They're a fun little optimization problem, my general process with AMD cards:
- Max the power slider, whatever the highest number you see there under load is your board limit that you want to try and load closest to.
- Drop the voltage on your current boost setting (until instability if you want to hone in)
- If the board power under load is frequently below the max value you saw before, you have room to increase your boost clocks
- Increases to these clocks may need more voltage so you add that back 10mv at a time.
- Once you've got the board loading up on power during runs and stable, then go back and see what you can get from memory.

EDIT: I realized I can see part of your powertune settings behind the results window but not all the values. You've done most of it, I'd be curious if you get a higher average clock speed with boost set at 2550 or alternatively with voltage at 1012mV.

Back