I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
Got Email from Newegg, 6800 XT on my phone, which is faster normally than on the computer, immediately clicked on add to cart -> GONE, out of stock, this was within seconds of getting it, first time I was able to do that. Was it ever in stock? Also got a Newegg 6900 XT in stock notice earlier and do not know how I ever missed it either on my phone or computer but of course those are gone too.

Based upon how difficult it is to buy any video card today, at least the $300 and up ones. I am pleased I have regularly upgraded over the last 2 years. Vega 56, Vega 64 and RX5700 with a 3600, 3700X and 3700X and enjoying them all. I do plan on upgrading to a 6800XT reference model but, it will be a while. :)

Faucet is still just a trickle give it time to warm up it'll flow better in time. Neither team wants to fuck this payday off.

There are probably 30,000 bots hitting new egg non stop for these GPUs. THere is a ZERO chance you will get one on NewEgg.

Also AMD site is never restocking it seems. And if does I was told 530am est but it never replenishes. I check daily.

I've given up on newegg at this point. Unless you just happen to refresh the page within 2-3 seconds of the item going into stock you have no legit chance. The notification emails are most definitely a complete waste of time too.

Reactions: noko
like this
Almost hit "checkout" on a 6800 reference yesterday from them too. Waiting on an XT, so I decided not to.

To the people finding cards are y'all checking at odd times or 80000times a day or something?

Discord server up in the background constantly; that one hit at... 930pm last night MDT? Ish?

I got one of those notification emails for the nitro+, of course it was long gone by the time I got it but I'll take it as a good sign that they were finally in stock for long enough that the automated system started sending out notifications.

It should be very simple for like Amazon, Best Buy, etc... Pick the card you want, like the XFX 6800XT, you then have to put a 50% deposit down on the card, at that point you get put into a pre-order status, with a ticket or purchase order for that specific card, with an acknowledgment, and rough delivery date, which may be 4 to 6 weeks out. But you will have you spot saved and partial payment taken, and you're basically inline to get the card when manufacturing gets to your purchase order. Yeah it won't ship to you in a week, it might be a month+ out, but at least you then should be guaranteed to get your exact card.
Many states have laws regarding charging for pre-order items that would make it complicated. For instance in my state you can only charge for a pre-order if the customer will get the item in under 30 days and then if something happens and it's going to take longer you have to personally contact the buyer and give them specific options(which are outlined in the law).

I'm not aware of any reason they can't do pre-orders without a deposit though and I agree that it would be much more consumer friendly.

There are probably 30,000 bots hitting new egg non stop for these GPUs. THere is a ZERO chance you will get one on NewEgg.

Also AMD site is never restocking it seems. And if does I was told 530am est but it never replenishes. I check daily.
If I had to guess, they were planning on phasing out the Reference cards, as the street prices are 200$ more in most cases for AIB's. People lost their minds, and AMD listened so it may be some time before they ramp up to release more of them again. Other than them being the only cards you can purchase near MSRP, most of the water blocks were designed around them, which would have essentially made the millions of dollars Block makers spent on block design and building out inventory for orders virtually worthless.

I've given up on newegg at this point. Unless you just happen to refresh the page within 2-3 seconds of the item going into stock you have no legit chance. The notification emails are most definitely a complete waste of time too.
On Monday night I was sitting on their website spamming f5 on all the different videocars in a few tabs. All of a sudden, after an f5 about half of the 3080, 6800, 6800xt, and 6900xt all showed add to cart. I clicked on almost every single videocard in less than 10 seconds and every single one wouldn't let me add it to cart. I did this for 5 minutes until all the add to cart buttons completely dissappeared. I must have tried to add over 100 times to cart and every single one said no stock left. A few minutes later the tweet went out from Newegg twitter but literally every single card had already been sold, with a few add to cart glitched buttons still showing, but impossible to buy anything. Bots literally cleared out every single card on the nvidia website in less then a second or two. I couldn't add anything, and I saw them all come up between spamming f5. It's a forking joke.

If I had to guess, they were planning on phasing out the Reference cards, as the street prices are 200$ more in most cases for AIB's. People lost their minds, and AMD listened so it may be some time before they ramp up to release more of them again. Other than them being the only cards you can purchase near MSRP, most of the water blocks were designed around them, which would have essentially made the millions of dollars Block makers spent on block design and building out inventory for orders virtually worthless.

On Monday night I was sitting on their website spamming f5 on all the different videocars in a few tabs. All of a sudden, after an f5 about half of the 3080, 6800, 6800xt, and 6900xt all showed add to cart. I clicked on almost every single videocard in less than 10 seconds and every single one wouldn't let me add it to cart. I did this for 5 minutes until all the add to cart buttons completely dissappeared. I must have tried to add over 100 times to cart and every single one said no stock left. A few minutes later the tweet went out from Newegg twitter but literally every single card had already been sold, with a few add to cart glitched buttons still showing, but impossible to buy anything. Bots literally cleared out every single card on the nvidia website in less then a second or two. I couldn't add anything, and I saw them all come up between spamming f5. It's a forking joke.

How is that possible WTF? So computer A.I. robots are somehow smart enough now, to watch websites and able to purchase products themselves? I did not know that technology even existed yet. Wow crazy. Sounds like I'm joking, I'm not, I am seriously asking, when you say "bots are buying cards" and getting them faster than a real live human being can, how is that possible? Is a bot a true Artificial Intelligent self controlled entity looking to buy video cards for themselves? I thought that kind of A.I. robot was still a good decade or more away from reality.

My other point WTF NewEgg, why don't they have a pre-order system in place to purchase these parts? You should be able to put a deposit down on the speicifc card you want, and that would give you a purchase order number with an acknowledgement number of a lead time and delivery date. Why is this such a cluster fuk?

How is that possible WTF? So computer A.I. robots are somehow smart enough now, to watch websites and able to purchase products themselves? I did not know that technology even existed yet. Wow crazy. Sounds like I'm joking, I'm not, I am seriously asking, when you say "bots are buying cards" and getting them faster than a real live human being can, how is that possible? Is a bot a true Artificial Intelligent self controlled entity looking to buy video cards for themselves? I thought that kind of A.I. robot was still a good decade or more away from reality.

My other point WTF NewEgg, why don't they have a pre-order system in place to purchase these parts? You should be able to put a deposit down on the speicifc card you want, and that would give you a purchase order number with an acknowledgement number of a lead time and delivery date. Why is this such a cluster fuk?
People set up scripts to constantly check stock for every product, and when it hits, they already have a script to complete the checkout process instantly. This is an automated process that can be done in fractions of a second making anyone trying to compete with a mouse to click through a website for purchase totally incapable of purchasing a card before all the automated bot programs clean out the stock in under 1 second.

Some places 'claim' they manually review every order to make sure there are no repeat shipping addresses but that's highly suspect. There wouldn't be thousands of cards available on EBAY, FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE, and CRAIGSLIST if consumers were actually capable of purchasing them from online etailers.

People set up scripts to constantly check stock for every product, and when it hits, they already have a script to complete the checkout process instantly. This is an automated process that can be done in fractions of a second making anyone trying to compete with a mouse to click through a website for purchase totally incapable of purchasing a card before all the automated bot programs clean out the stock in under 1 second.

Some places 'claim' they manually review every order to make sure there are no repeat shipping addresses but that's highly suspect. There wouldn't be thousands of cards available on EBAY, FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE, and CRAIGSLIST if consumers were actually capable of purchasing them from online etailers.

Thanks for the explanation, that's frigging BS, would a captcha thing help weed out these grifter low grade bots?

Yeah, I didn't think true Artificial Intelligent entities really were live and online yet, and able to make purchases themselves, I thought that was like 20 years away still.

Thanks for the explanation, that's frigging BS, would a captcha thing help weed out these grifter low grade bots?

Yeah, I didn't think true Artificial Intelligent entities really were live and online yet, and able to make purchases themselves, I thought that was like 20 years away still.
It's not an AI, it's a script. HTML is nothing more than an API to back end services; twiddling an API is easy - GET/POST/etc. HTML is about the easiest one out there - simplest restful API there is, in my humble opinion, and documented/tested/known to hell and back. So, writing a bot to scan for a change in an HTML element, then triggering the appropriate set of actions (clicking is just a post/etc), is incredibly easy. The browser is just one way of interacting with the API.

Is there a way for sites to block these bot scripts? Or make it harder for them to work, compared to real humans?

Why would they block instant sales?
Botters aren't very likely to come back to the etailer to purchase additional upgrades for the their computers. Locking in a new customer or even reinforcing your business to a returning customer offers you a chance to sell additional products, and down the road, if they service and experience was pleasant, potentially thousands of dollars over the customers lifetime. If the videocards are all going to sell out anyways, why would you want to sell them to individuals that don't buy anything else. It's bad business.

Is there a way for sites to block these bot scripts? Or make it harder for them to work, compared to real humans?
Eh? ~waves hands in the air~ schmaybe? A click or a post from an API explorer looks the same. The bot is faster, sure, but... people click fast too. Captcha helps, but that can be brute-forced or farmed out to mechanical turk, etc... So, schmaybe?

Botters aren't very likely to come back to the etailer to purchase additional upgrades for the their computers. Locking in a new customer or even reinforcing your business to a returning customer offers you a chance to sell additional products, and down the road, if they service and experience was pleasant, potentially thousands of dollars over the customers lifetime. If the videocards are all going to sell out anyways, why would you want to sell them to individuals that don't buy anything else. It's bad business.
True, but the actual value you can posit off of that, vs the opportunity cost of not doing it, vs the investment it would take to try and constantly outmaneuver the bots... folks are doing the analysis, and the value either isn't there, or their efforts aren't enough yet. It's not easy. Plus, there are only so many hardware resellers out there that people trust; it's not like the early 2000s where resellerratings/etc mattered.

To the people finding cards are y'all checking at odd times or 80000times a day or something?
I had Distill setup on Chrome. Checks Best Buy, Newegg, and Amazon every 30-45 seconds. Got a buzz at Best Buy, so I checked, then waited for the "Please wait" to turn to "add to cart." Had a few loops to jump (email confirmation), but got it on my first try.

I had Distill setup on Chrome. Checks Best Buy, Newegg, and Amazon every 30-45 seconds. Got a buzz at Best Buy, so I checked, then waited for the "Please wait" to turn to "add to cart." Had a few loops to jump (email confirmation), but got it on my first try.
And this is why no one can find cards

You should post that on their twitter. Especially if a few minutes after this happened, they tweet 'go get 'em boyos!' and you had already seen everything go bye-bye in the blink of an eye. I think they are literally in denial at this point, that it is not possible for human beings to get anything from their website. A bot is *required* to purchase a 3080/3090/6800/6900 from them.
Oh boy.. Welcome to two months ago bro.

And this is why no one can find cards
And you're mistaken. The reason no one can find cards is a combination of bots, scalpers, supply constraints, and voracious demand. Distill is only a webpage monitor, it's not one of those bot services that's been buying up all the inventory in bulk. It only alerts you if you've set it up to monitor a particular webpage (or webpages), which is also a manual process. For online shopping, you still have to do the entire purchase manually. I've been using Distill since the Ampere launch and haven't had any luck getting any Ampere cards even after hundreds of alerts. I'd venture a guess that I've had less than a 1% success rate with Distill, and that's when I was finally able to actually complete a purchase on the RX 6800 last week when the tool alerted me. Only needed that 1 success out of HUNDREDS of attempts. Now that I have my card, I'm no longer competing with humies and bots for cards.

Last edited:
And you're mistaken. The reason no one can find cards is a combination of bots, scalpers, and supply constraints. Distill is only a webpage monitor, it's not one of those bot services that's been buying up all the inventory in bulk. It only alerts you if you've set it up to monitor a particular webpage (or webpages), which is also a manual process. For online shopping, you still have to do the entire purchase manually. I've been using Distill since the Ampere launch and haven't had any luck getting any Ampere cards even after hundreds of alerts. I'd venture a guess that I've had less than a 1% success rate with Distill, and that's when I was finally able to actually complete a purchase on the RX 6800 last week when the tool alerted me. Only needed that 1 success out of HUNDREDS of attempts. Now that I have my card, I'm no longer competing with humies and bots for cards.
That's partially why the bundles at newegg and the discord channels (feeding off of multiple distill scripts) let you get there faster - less blocking due to refreshes.

I feel absolutely ZERO shame that I used a bot to get my 5950x and my 6800xt reference. If I hadn't done it, there is NO way I would ever have gotten them. Do not have the time to sit around on discord and drop everything at work to try and get something on a moments notice.

I feel absolutely ZERO shame that I used a bot to get my 5950x and my 6800xt reference. If I hadn't done it, there is NO way I would ever have gotten them. Do not have the time to sit around on discord and drop everything at work to try and get something on a moments notice.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Getting the hot new video card with low supply and high demand, is an adventure, it's a hunt to track to down and get one. Using a scripted bot service is sort of cheating in my mind, most people don't have the means to do that, and I think websites should not allow it period

But that's just my opinion, you do you.

If I listened to you, I would be sitting here without a card at this point.

I work in a demanding job. I don't have time to camp on discord, F5 on web pages, or "hunt" on this grand adventure to find a product in stock. I'm not scalping anything I've been able to get. If this is somehow "cheating" in your opinion then fine. Doesn't bother me at all.

If websites actually stopped the use of bots completely, and we were all on a level playing field, then I would be more apt to agree. That hasn't happened and is not going to happen.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Getting the hot new video card with low supply and high demand, is an adventure, it's a hunt to track to down and get one. Using a scripted bot service is sort of cheating in my mind, most people don't have the means to do that, and I think websites should not allow it period

But that's just my opinion, you do you.
Means? It’s a script you run on windows or Linux. Get it off GitHub. Runs on anything.

Couldn't get a 6800 series but managed to a snag a 5900x so happy with that :) Should give me a decent fps bump in some games.

The idea that you're cheating if you're not camping out front of a MicroCenter or mashing F5 repeatedly is absolutely silly to me. You want to talk about people who "don't have the means" to use a Twitter/Discord/YouTube alert? Well with a wife and 2 toddlers on top of a full-time job with regular hours, I don't have the means to go on epic adventures for a video card; I don't have the means to camp outside of a B&M store for a luxury item; I don't have the means to mash F5 all day while I'm at work (a bulk of these in-stock alerts occur between the hours of 6AM and 9AM PT). I employed the lowest tech alert option available to me, and after hundreds of attempts I managed to manually buy 1 video card. Cheating? :ROFLMAO:

The idea that you're cheating if you're not camping out front of a MicroCenter or mashing F5 repeatedly is absolutely silly to me. You want to talk about people who "don't have the means" to use a Twitter/Discord/YouTube alert? Well with a wife and 2 toddlers on top of a full-time job with regular hours, I don't have the means to go on epic adventures for a video card; I don't have the means to camp outside of a B&M store for a luxury item; I don't have the means to mash F5 all day while I'm at work (a bulk of these in-stock alerts occur between the hours of 6AM and 9AM PT). I employed the lowest tech alert option available to me, and after hundreds of attempts I managed to manually buy 1 video card. Cheating? :ROFLMAO:
I hear ya, Adulting sucks. Soon as you get to that stage in life where you don't worry about $$ and can purchase this cool shit... life responsibilities keep us down lol! Work has me pinned all day long.

I just need a CPU and Videocard to complete my build. I actually believed i would source a Ryzen 9 5900 at Microcenter, WRONG. Figured i'd toss the 5700XT in there to get by until 6800XT AIBs come in stock. Won't even entertain the thought of it before Feb.

This is becoming more stressful than Covid itself.

Installation day. Going into my brother-in-law's machine. Out with the GTX 1080 STRIX.

GTX1080RX6800.png

Last edited:
Just scored an rx6800 on amazon for $669. Not sure if I'll keep it. Was really hoping for an xt or 3080 but it's slim pickings.

Just scored an rx6800 on amazon for $669. Not sure if I'll keep it. Was really hoping for an xt or 3080 but it's slim pickings.
Well it turns out 6800 OCd is damn near as fast as an XT OCd. Funny how that works with rdna2. I like GNexus' spreadsheet on overclocking BugNavi. There is a point where higher freq actually bogs card down.

Back