I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
Yeah - Newegg crashed on me before I got to the site, so I knew it was not going to happen.

Didn't even bother to refresh

My Best Buy order just went through on my first try:

1607441719428.png

Rofl. I am sitting here waiting in queue on Best Buy for 3080 and 3060ti in separate tabs lol. I got in before discord notifications lol.

Wow got me 3060ti gigabyte order in. Hmm can I also get 3080? 😂😂. Not sure if I need it these things.

Lol 3080 is giving me the same damn issue. Can’t find a store

I have a 6800XT in my cart, but I get a popup window saying something along the lines of "Submit is not a function"

I have the same store not available issue. There's a store ~3mi from my house.

At least I've been able to see stock. That's an improvement.

I check now, and it says out of stock. But I still have one in my cart. Still can't hit next step though. Keep getting a window about not be a function.

Update, I cancelled my 6800 preorder. I found out that Nvidia is not only a better card for VR gaming in general but also superior for Oculus Quest 2, simply because for that headset it needs to video encode on fly and AMD is not particularly good at it. Quest is very dependant on NVEnc performance.

And also because I found a Gainward RTX3070 in stock, I had to grab it. I could not be arsed to wait anymore anyway.

I still have a 6800xt preorder in with amazon for a gigabyte reference card. Haven't cancelled it and it is supposed to ship dec 16-17. I don't understand how the gigabyte reference card is so expensive, but it is $799 on newegg and amazon both. Everybody else is charging less for their ref cards, if you can get one.

At this point though I'm not cancelling. I need something to replace my 5500xt and I'm not going nvidia. At least the free gift card I got will help take some of the sting off the extra 149 over msrp here.

I still have a 6800xt preorder in with amazon for a gigabyte reference card. Haven't cancelled it and it is supposed to ship dec 16-17. I don't understand how the gigabyte reference card is so expensive, but it is $799 on newegg and amazon both. Everybody else is charging less for their ref cards, if you can get one.

At this point though I'm not cancelling. I need something to replace my 5500xt and I'm not going nvidia. At least the free gift card I got will help take some of the sting off the extra 149 over msrp here.
Im just gonna aim for a 3080ti in February.

Probably gonna crush the 3080 and 6800xt anyways. Maybe nV will have a higher yield. Maybe its thier secret weapon all along and they will flood the market.

Crush? Like the 3090 crushes the 3080?

Are people losing their minds?

Yup, all about getting that big dick epeen, paying over the odds for a handful of fps. The ti would have to be place in between the 3080 and 3090, so it'll probably be more of a vram upgrade at best. or maybe they'll chop some ram off the 3080 and release it as a ti, who knows at this point.

Last edited:
To anyone that placed an order with CDW some weeks back - I recommend you call in to cancel (or at minimum don't bank on it). I had called to check the status and they told me that their system shows that item "has been discontinued" and that they wouldn't be able to fulfill the order. They asked if I wanted to go ahead and cancel it, which I did.

I had read somewhere that they did the same with the 3080 series before.

Yup, all about getting that big dick epeen, paying over the odds for a handful of fps. The ti would have to be place in between the 3080 and 3090, so it'll probably be more of a vram upgrade at best. or maybe they'll chop some ram off the 3080 and release it as a ti, who knows at this point.

Oh the big dick epeen? Really? Thats your reply?

Not everything is fps fps fps. 3080ti 20GB will obsolete the 3080 thus crushing it.

Anyways were veering offtopic.

Last edited:
Oh the big dick epeen? Really? Thats your reply?

Not everything is fps fps fps. 3080ti 20GB will obsolete the 3080 thus crushing it.
Are we taking price into account? Last I read the 3080ti is expected to be $999. Has that changed? If the pricing is closer to 3080, I may think of returning/re-selling my 3080.

Are we taking price into account? Last I read the 3080ti is expected to be $999. Has that changed? If the pricing is closer to 3080, I may think of returning/re-selling my 3080.

Yes that is the rumor. But we need to get back on topic or kyle will slap us

Sorry if it's been posted already but AMD just announced they're extending their production of the reference design indefinitely: https://twitter.com/sherkelman/status/1336684121830137858?s=20

Wonder if it has something to do with AIBs inability to lower pricing due to lower profit margains, and AMD wanting to stay price-competitive.
I would suggest that is exactly what is going on.

AMD cannot control "over charging" by AIBs. At least with MBA cards still in the market we have a semblance of what MSRP should be if you are doing a bit of shopping around.

I would suggest that is exactly what is going on.

AMD cannot control "over charging" by AIBs. At least with MBA cards still in the market we have a semblance of what MSRP should be if you are doing a bit of shopping around.
Speaking of AIB's over-charging, I'm reminded of the ASUS ROG Strix 6800XT hybrid that I just saw for $950. Not posting this to Hot Deals because I doubt it qualifies as one, but here it is anyway in case someone wants to put their name into the preorder pile - at least ShopBLT doesn't charge tax since they're an Ingram Micro dropshipper.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011004001502_B8PX288P.shtml
1607543465483.png

I honestly don't understand the hate for the AIBs - better cooling and features has always cost more, the founders edition being "special" is a bit of a rarity in my experience with modern cards (looks like it started with Pascal - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...idia-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-explained)? After Pascal, they became just the "reference" base board - I've always bought a "better" card from EVGA/Powercolor/etc - better cooling, quieter, better warranty, etc. I've not done a "reference" card in forever, excepting the used 2080TI I bought.

I honestly don't understand the hate for the AIBs - better cooling and features has always cost more, the founders edition being "special" is a bit of a rarity in my experience with modern cards (looks like it started with Pascal - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...idia-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-explained)? After Pascal, they became just the "reference" base board - I've always bought a "better" card from EVGA/Powercolor/etc - better cooling, quieter, better warranty, etc. I've not done a "reference" card in forever, excepting the used 2080TI I bought.
Reminds me of how 3dfx went down in the end.. cutting off AIBs and moving their boards to exclusively in-house production. I like the idea, to be honest. Even though there are a lot of pitfalls and ways it go sideways both for company and the consumer.

I think the founder editions this generation are great personally. More than adequate cooling, quiet, and just as powerful (look at these "OC" AIB models that end up boosting performance by... nothing perceptible, adding childish RGB to it, and doing their own just as effective/barely any more effective cooling, all for the princely upcharge of 15-20% or more over the perfectly serviceable FE/MBA models.

Reminds me of how 3dfx went down in the end.. cutting off AIBs and moving their boards to exclusively in-house production. I like the idea, to be honest. Even though there are a lot of pitfalls and ways it go sideways both for company and the consumer.

I think the founder editions this generation are great personally. More than adequate cooling, quiet, and just as powerful (look at these "OC" AIB models that end up boosting performance by... nothing perceptible, adding childish RGB to it, and doing their own just as effective/barely any more effective cooling, all for the princely upcharge of 15-20% or more over the perfectly serviceable FE/MBA models.
Don't disagree - this ref release is way better than normal, but I still got ones with silent fans when possible (and I'm waiting on a hydro-copper 3080 for the main system, and a hybrid for the workstation).

Coulda snagged a 6800 yesterday, had it in my cart but wanted the xt so didn't go ahead with the purchase.

No fucking clue why either as i rarely game anymore,

I agree with most of this sentiment, but truth be told my XFX Merc is crushing my 2080, it's a 6800XT built out to 6900 board specs. Even with the premium price I think it will hold its own over the lifetime I own it.

Speaking of AIB's over-charging, I'm reminded of the ASUS ROG Strix 6800XT hybrid that I just saw for $950. Not posting this to Hot Deals because I doubt it qualifies as one, but here it is anyway in case someone wants to put their name into the preorder pile - at least ShopBLT doesn't charge tax since they're an Ingram Micro dropshipper.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011004001502_B8PX288P.shtml
View attachment 307300

I ordered. Gives me 2 weeks or so to grab a reference 6800XT or 6900XT, either of which would get a waterblock. The Asus with the AIO is my second choice, and at this point I can live with $50 over the Asus list price. Then I plan to return the 6800 that Amazon charged $750 for, after tax.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Did the same just now. 440 orders in though, and not enough incoming, so who knows how long that will take. At this point at least it's something. If I can get something else before this finally ships, then great. At this point it's not looking real good.

I made the mistake last night and went through a bunch of 3080 and 6800XT comparisons. I think Linus convinced me to stick with Team Green.

Was just on BLT's site as I'm interested in that Asus 6800XT Hybrid and now there is a notice dated today that certain AMD CPUs and recently released graphics cards are not presently available for preorder.

sam

Gigabyte reference 6800xt has shipped from amazon, gets here on Monday.

I paid an aib price for it but at least I'm getting something to run for a while until I can get a 6900xt aib of my choice. 3-4 months maybe more almost certainly for that.

I will try to get a price match with credit card price protection for this if I can find it listed lower. I don't know why this gigabyte is so expensive honestly. On newegg it's 799 too, and their aib windforce model is only like another 20 bucks. Makes about zero sense.

The AIB models seem to be really quite expensive (at least looking at some of them on Newegg, still not in stock etc) and I have to wonder if it is worth it. When some of the reference, or even non-reference designs are like $670 or $700-750, but then there are some air cooled AIBs that are $800+ and that seems pretty excessive. I mean, for that kind of cash you'd may as well just buy a 6900XT, I figure?

Are any manufacturers or models of particular merit? AIB over reference ? In most cases I've had good experiences with Asus ROG so in this case I'd be interested in the 3-fan ROG Strix (as opposed to the liquid cooled one) perhaps if its priced reasonably and I hear that Sapphire is a noteworthy AMD-specific partner like EVGA is on the NV side, with their Nitro+ 3-fan version , but I'm not sure if any others are worth it / better or worse than normal etc. I am guessing that most entirely reference designs/coolers are the same no matter the brand, but the others can vary.

Last edited:
Why is so hard for these big tech companies, to do basic pre orders? I get it, COVID and manufacturing supply issues, etc... and high demand, all equals to shortage of cards.

It should be very simple for like Amazon, Best Buy, etc... Pick the card you want, like the XFX 6800XT, you then have to put a 50% deposit down on the card, at that point you get put into a pre-order status, with a ticket or purchase order for that specific card, with an acknowledgment, and rough delivery date, which may be 4 to 6 weeks out. But you will have you spot saved and partial payment taken, and you're basically inline to get the card when manufacturing gets to your purchase order. Yeah it won't ship to you in a week, it might be a month+ out, but at least you then should be guaranteed to get your exact card.

This silly system now, of having to click order on a specific day, and early in the morning is childish and just so outdated.

Back