I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
Good to know, keep us updated. Although what you describe are a minor inconvenience and not really dealbreakers imo.
I don't know, those sound incredibly irritating and time consuming. One thing if it happens once in a blue moon, but frequently/every time on certain conditions, I'd not be overjoyed using the computer at that point

I have the 6800 running a 4K CX48 over HDMI with 2 Dell 1600x900 monitors on the sides connected via DP. I didn't even have to set up a multi-monitor profile when I installed the Radeon driver - it detected the 3 monitors and arranged them as I wanted. I did have to dig through Windows settings to get 120Hz refresh on the 4K screen, but I blame Microsoft for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know about driver optimizations. I already encountered quite a few problems with AMD drivers. After every wake from sleep I have the mouse lag problem. Half the time I wake it up from sleep my 3rd monitor goes from 1440p to 640x360 and won’t revert back without a restart. Also half of the time a restart results in a blank screen. I kind of have regrets but I already bought the water block too. I am going to give it another month or two and see if updates resolve these issues
Any monitors on DVI adapters?

edit: or a DP adapter of some kind?

Any monitors on DVI adapters?

edit: or a DP adapter of some kind?
Using one USB C to DP adapter. I ordered a longer DP cable for the 3rd monitor so I will see on Tuesday if that resolves things.

EDIT: To note though, I am using 2 4k monitors and a 1440p 165hz monitor. I was using 3 DP on my 1070 so when I got my 6800XT and it only had 2 DP and a USB C I used a USB C to DP cable I hard lying around. I'll be swapping to the LG CX48 and my 2 4k monitors though so I'll let you guys know how that goes too. Also the USB C pushes 1440P 165hz fine if you guys were wondering.

Last edited:
Using one USB C to DP adapter. I ordered a longer DP cable for the 3rd monitor so I will see on Tuesday if that resolves things.

EDIT: To note though, I am using 2 4k monitors and a 1440p 165hz monitor. I was using 3 DP on my 1070 so when I got my 6800XT and it only had 2 DP and a USB C I used a USB C to DP cable I hard lying around. I'll be swapping to the LG CX48 and my 2 4k monitors though so I'll let you guys know how that goes too. Also the USB C pushes 1440P 165hz fine if you guys were wondering.
Try pulling that one. I’ve had lots of anything-DP or DP-anything issues with amd cards; back when I researched it like mad, I found a bunch of info on how they do clock generation a bit differently, and it’s... problematic with most adapters. Don’t know if that changed, and it’s been... 8 years since I had that setup. If the issue goes away with that one monitor gone- you may be SOL. I have up in the end and bought screens that matched the plugs I had.

https://www.cdw.com/product/asus-radeon-rx-6800-xt-16gb-gddr6/6337600?pfm=srh

This has to be backordered, because I just found out now people have been ordering this for awhile today. But I placed an order and got confirmation page. It's a bit expensive at $760, for reference, and there's a good chance they'll cancel the orders too I feel. But who knows
I went ahead and placed an order as well. We’ll see, I suppose.

I would like to be able to stop hunting for a GPU for my dad’s 4K FS2020. The 2070S as a stop gap is not amazing. Bad time to build a rig, hope he stays cancer free and can enjoy smooth gaming.

I don't know, those sound incredibly irritating and time consuming. One thing if it happens once in a blue moon, but frequently/every time on certain conditions, I'd not be overjoyed using the computer at that point
I agree over time if it’s not addressed it would become a big annoyance. But at least it’s not black screening or crashing during gaming.

Status on my 6800xt gigabyte reference card on amazon changed from arriving dec 16th to "Not yet shipped. We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."

Status on my 6800xt gigabyte reference card on amazon changed from arriving dec 16th to "Not yet shipped. We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."
Hopefully your order turns out better than my Amazon order of the 3080 XC3. Ordered on Sep 22nd, delivery estimate of October 8th. Then changed to we’ll email you a couple days later. I ended up cancelling the order on October 30th after it still didn’t have a date. From what I gathered people who stuck with their orders finally had them fulfilled about 2 weeks ago.

Yah. I've read nothing good about what it means when the order status gets changed to this. Hard to say when it'll be executed, but at this point I'm not going to wait for it. If I can find something else sooner, I'll take it.

We had a talk and he committed to correcting the spin on my words. All good.

I have watched Brett for a couple of years now, and his content dramatically changed due to issues with his son's illness. (I know how that goes, so I am sympathetic.) That said, he gets big kudos from me for just listening. I was not expecting for it to be publicly "corrected." Not a lot of YTers that will still go that extra mile.
Looks like he came through on his word as expected. Bookmarked right at his apology:

Try pulling that one. I’ve had lots of anything-DP or DP-anything issues with amd cards; back when I researched it like mad, I found a bunch of info on how they do clock generation a bit differently, and it’s... problematic with most adapters. Don’t know if that changed, and it’s been... 8 years since I had that setup. If the issue goes away with that one monitor gone- you may be SOL. I have up in the end and bought screens that matched the plugs I had.
Huh, I changed one of my 4k monitors to HDMI and used the DP port from that for the 1440p. Havent had the mouse lag problem or the weird drop in resolution. I guess the USB C to DP was the issue. Kinda sucks if I can't use the USB C. But I guess the RX6800XT is telling me the CX48 was the way to go with 2 4k Monitors in portrait.

Huh, I changed one of my 4k monitors to HDMI and used the DP port from that for the 1440p. Havent had the mouse lag problem or the weird drop in resolution. I guess the USB C to DP was the issue. Kinda sucks if I can't use the USB C. But I guess the RX6800XT is telling me the CX48 was the way to go with 2 4k Monitors in portrait.
Hah! Called it. AMD + adapters = no bueno.

Hah! Called it. AMD + adapters = no bueno.
Yea that’s weird. It’s not quite an adapter either it’s a cable that is usb c to dp. But I guess it is what it is.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It happened again after I came back from picking up my LG CX.

Last edited:
Yea that’s weird. It’s not quite an adapter either it’s a cable that is usb c to dp. But I guess it is what it is.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It happened again after I came back from picking up my LG CX.
Bah. Next up: got Corsair link or icue running?

No I haven’t installed either. I do have a commander pro but the software isn’t installed. I do have msi dragon center though.
Try disabling it. I can’t remember what I found on that one, but all my mouse lag/etc issues were related to adaptors and then (once) the Corsair software.

Well I am putting my RX6800XT into my SFF PC until it gets fixed. I bought an RTX 3080 FTW3 today to put in right now. Issues annoy me too much, I will see if the RX6800XT has any problems with just a dual monitor setup.

Well I am putting my RX6800XT into my SFF PC until it gets fixed. I bought an RTX 3080 FTW3 today to put in right now. Issues annoy me too much, I will see if the RX6800XT has any problems with just a dual monitor setup.
Where did you find stock on a 3080? I’ve been checking on and off all day

If you decide to sell it let me know.

Running a Vanilla 6800 and no issue running 120hz and 60hz secondary at different resolutions. Memory clocks are not pegged either.

Could it be that the reference cooler this time around is actually good? I thought gamersnexus was suggesting to avoid it on their tear down video.

And yet here we are. I'd love a red devil too, but it doesn't matter when they aren't in stock. Who cares what the price is at that point.
They didn't suggest to avoid it. They just said its not anything novel or particularly special (its another vapor chamber like RDNA1. and uses a graphite thermal pad to counteract the flatness issue), while still cooling well and quiet while doing it.

In terms of overclocking----it seems like Navi 2 silicon is generally pretty darn good. Many of them clock rather well. It seems only a couple of top tier models are actually binned for some upper-end clocks.

If you decide to sell it let me know.
You'll be on the top of my list if I do. But I did want to replace the 1070 in my SFF anyways.
Running a Vanilla 6800 and no issue running 120hz and 60hz secondary at different resolutions. Memory clocks are not pegged either.
Yea, I have no idea what was going on. Replaced cables, SAM on/off, riser cable on/off, reinstalled drivers etc. For reference I did a clean W10 Pro install. I just wanted to play games at 4k not mess with drivers endlessly. I will let you guys know how it goes in my SFFPC and if it has any problems though.

Well just got around to installing this 6800 on the wife's computer. Definite jump in performance. Now I just need my new 5950x cpu and I can give the 3950x to my wife. Then she should be set for awhile. I am going to shoot for the 6900xt for my setup.

Attachments

• 6800.JPG
    6800.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • cpu 1700x.JPG
    cpu 1700x.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3dmark.JPG
    3dmark.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3dmark pt2.JPG
    3dmark pt2.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
So 6900xt aib prices to be the same as the rtx 3090?

(\____/)
( ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°)
\╭☞ \╭☞
Unlikely. There is still a $500 difference in MSRPs. Even if AIBs charged more of a premium for the 6900 XT over the MSRP compared to the 3090 I’m still fairly confident the 6900 XT variants will still be $200-300 cheaper on average. I’m guessing the most premium 6900 XT variants may just touch the base MSRP of the 3090 at $1500.

So where should we be looking nowadays to try and get a 6800xt?
Anywhere and everywhere all the time

Or just wait another month or two. 2021 should have some more inventory or so saith the best guesses with ZERO evidence to support such claims. More hope than anything.

Back