I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
PC Case Gear here in Aus crashed the 6800XT page just after midnight. All they did was add Power Color red devil for pre order. Got to see a glimmer of "add to cart" in between the 20 or so 504s I was presented with, then they were gone.

5800X appears to be in stock almost everywhere here. Didn't even remotely have that bad an experience in launch night when I bought mine. Guess GPU demand is thru the roof.

I kind of like the ASRock and the Sapphire with the different color fans. They would make me want to get a vertical GPU mount though and I don't think any today support PCIe Gen4 on their riser cables.

Just got back from the Houston Micro Center, and was lucky enough to buy a Sapphire RX 6800 reference version. As far I know, they had 30 or so Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3070s and maybe 10 RTX 3080 cards, but only 5 or 6 RX 6800 cards available this morning. Don’t know if they had any 6800XTs in stock. I was the 40-ish person in line, so I didn’t think MC would have any vouchers for the 6800/6800 XT left by they time they reached to me.

Ouch, the price premium on the non reference cards is nuts. Not exactly surprised though, people are going to buy every last one so why not right? I see 0 benefit of paying the extra $100 extra since the reference cooler is pretty good this time around, so hopefully the reference cards will continue to have stock be available.

With this pricing, I am hoping that more NVidia FE's come out. $699 for a 3080 is AWESOME! Hoping that the 3060ti is priced at $399 and comes out with inventory. I run multiple screens, but still play at 1080p and I think this card will meet all my needs in that space.

Just got back from the Houston Micro Center, and was lucky enough to buy a Sapphire RX 6800 reference version. As far I know, they had 30 or so Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3070s and maybe 10 RTX 3080 cards, but only 5 or 6 RX 6800 cards available this morning. Don’t know if they had any 6800XTs in stock. I was the 40-ish person in line, so I didn’t think MC would have any vouchers for the 6800/6800 XT left by they time they reached to me.
I'm in the Houston area and I thought about trying Microcenter today. Thanks for the heads up.

You know - I'm really jealous of you guys with a MC. The only brick and mortar that I have is BB and they have nothing in stock (online only).

You know - I'm really jealous of you guys with a MC. The only brick and mortar that I have is BB and they have nothing in stock (online only).
It doesn't matter because usually they only have 10 or so cards so unless you come at 2AM and be one of the first 10, you're leaving empty handed every day after waiting in line an hour or two past opening, when your turn is up to find out there's nothing left. And They don't even get shipments every day, and you don't know if/what they receive until they open. It's not fun.

It's better to be on Discord notifications and F5 from the comfort of your own home. I did get a 3080 thanks to MC but only because yesterday they had a MASSIVE nVidia drop at the two stores in Chicago. Otherwise I've been there many times and left empty handed many times.

It doesn't matter because usually they only have 10 or so cards so unless you come at 2AM and be one of the first 10, you're leaving empty handed every day after waiting in line an hour or two past opening, when your turn is up to find out there's nothing left. And They don't even get shipments every day, and you don't know if/what they receive until they open. It's not fun.

It's better to be on Discord notifications and F5 from the comfort of your own home. I did get a 3080 thanks to MC but only because yesterday they had a MASSIVE nVidia drop at the two stores in Chicago. Otherwise I've been there many times and left empty handed many times.
Good to know. I thought people lined up in the morning... and then the rest of the day was like normal business. Guess I won't be tempted to drive to Cinci just to find out.

BestBuy CSR said they have no idea when they will get any 6000 GPUs in stock.

Reading AIB reviews.
AMD shit themselves in foot with rage mode.
Remove rage.
Up standard clocks to rage modeish .
1st blunder in recent times for Lisa Su.

A store in germany has put up numbers, needless to say they're laughably bad.

https://www.proshop.de/AMD-Radeon-RX-6000-Series-overview

Overall the most cards they have received to date are 100 6800 reference cards from powercolor, the next closest is a paltry 25 cards for the powercolor 6800xt.

For cards on the way they have:

3 6800 xt tuf (ordered 503)
6 strix 6800 lc oc (ordered 106)
8 asus 6800xt tuf (ordered 508)
5 6800 strix oc (ordered 505)

What a fucking shambles.....People's hopes were raised by mr Azor flapping his gums on twitter, presumably by now he's been fitted with a ball gag.

Can anyone explain to me how it's possible for manufacturers to constantly shit the bed with new product availability? Nvidia was bad enough with their 3 series rush release, but amd last year launched the 3 series with shit availability on the 3900 and 3950 for months, and now this year with the 5 series cpu and weeks later with the 6 series gpu. And what's worse is the amd launch seemed planned out way in advance yet they still had fuck all in terms of stock to offer,. whereas it's pretty much a given the nvidia launch was rushed to get to market first.

Last edited:
Oh yeah.....AIB = add in bucks

MBA= degree you need to count all the money.......

Reactions: noko
like this
Well no sign of any 6800 in Canada, not on bestbuy, not on amazon.ca, not on memoryexpress (they dont even list them as a choice) :( amazon is the only place that at least has a place holder for them for the XFX.

Can anyone explain to me how it's possible for manufacturers to constantly shit the bed with new product availability? Nvidia was bad enough with their 3 series rush release, but amd last year launched the 3 series with shit availability on the 3900 and 3950 for months, and now this year with the 5 series cpu and weeks later with the 6 series gpu. And what's worse is the amd launch seemed planned out way in advance yet they still had fuck all in terms of stock to offer,. whereas it's pretty much a given the nvidia launch was rushed to get to market first.
Because TSMC is making everything and they only have so much production capacity on 7nm. New fabs cost billions of dollars and take years to build so they can't just ramp up. The number of EUV lithography machines in the entire world is probably <100 in total.

The following are all on TSMC 7nm:

1. Xbox Series S
  2. Xbox Series X
  3. PlayStation 5
  4. AMD 3000 series
  5. AMD 4000 series
  6. AMD 5000 series
  7. AMD RX 6000 GPUs
  8. NVIDIA GA100 Ampere
And probably more. They simply can't build these all fast enough.

Guys, I need some advice here, should I get the 6800 or the 6800 XT today?

I'm still using a GeForce FX 5800 and am wondering if I will see a huge difference between 5800 and 6800 series?

Or would it be more of a sidegrade?

Guys, I need some advice here, should I get the 6800 or the 6800 XT today?

I'm still using a GeForce FX 5800 and am wondering if I will see a huge difference between 5800 and 6800 series?

Or would it be more of a sidegrade?

You should go for the 9800 Pro, that is 4000 better as opposed to only 1000.

Looks like AMD launched a cheap, impressive reference card in low supply to trick consumers into paying obscene AIB prices... Where have I hard that before?

What I heard over on TPU forums, is that the chip itself is quite expensive (AMD is not selling them cheap), so retailers/AIBs definitely have an "incentive" to price up, since profit margins are (even more) razor-thin than usual for RX 6xxx.

Maybe FrgMstr will have more info? He's already provided some insight here: More Stuff

Because TSMC is making everything and they only have so much production capacity on 7nm. New fabs cost billions of dollars and take years to build so they can't just ramp up. The number of EUV lithography machines in the entire world is probably <100 in total.

1. Xbox Series S
  2. Xbox Series X
  3. PlayStation 5
  4. AMD 3000 series
  5. AMD 4000 series
  6. AMD 5000 series
  7. AMD RX 6000 GPUs
  8. NVIDIA GA100 Ampere

And it sure seems like TSMC dedicated four whole silicon wafers, maybe even five, for the entire 68XX series launch!

Just made a lunchtime trip to MC in Dallas. No sign of 6800s of any flavor, no 5000-series CPUs, and no 3070/3080/3090s.

Thinking it over, with the price of the 6800XT AIB cards, which aren't available anyway, I guess I'll give the 6900XT a shot... if I don't have a card by, call it, dec15th, I might just say F it and go back to trying to get a 3090 - those seem like the best possible chance of getting a card these days.

Seeing the price of the AIB cards, which aren't available anyway, I guess I'll give the 6900XT a shot... if I don't have a card by, call it, dec15th, I might just say F it and go back to trying to get a 3090 - those seem like the best possible chance of getting a card these days.
3090s are easy to find

3090s are easy to find
Exactly. I was going to buy one on launch day, but struck out. After a couple of weeks of striking out, I said, WTF, I haven't gone red in a while, so I might as well wait for the 6800XT and see what its like and spend dramatically less. Given the current situation, if I don't have a card in 3 weeks, I'll just buy the 3090 like was my original plan. At least I'll have a new card then - I'm running one system on a AMD 250X backup card because I sold the 1660 Super in it, and the plan was to cascade the 1080ti into that box.

Exactly. I was going to buy one on launch day, but struck out. After a couple of weeks of striking out, I said, WTF, I haven't gone red in a while, so I might as well wait for the 6800XT and see what its like and spend dramatically less. Given the current situation, if I don't have a card in 3 weeks, I'll just buy the 3090 like was my original plan. At least I'll have a new card then - I'm running one system on a AMD 250X backup card because I sold the 1660 Super in it, and the plan was to cascade the 1080ti into that box.
Got one on a 970 for the same reason... sigh.

Wow, how is a $150 dollar price premium justified on these AIB's? 2 steps forward and three back. It doesnt matter if the shelves are flooded, at $800 it makes the 3080 look too good. I can wait a few months.

Wow, how is a $150 dollar price premium justified on these AIB's? 2 steps forward and three back. It doesnt matter if the shelves are flooded, at $800 it makes the 3080 look too good. I can wait a few months.
Nvidia set the market price, somewhere around 800 bucks is what people are paying for this level of performance if they can find it in stock

After unloading my 5700 XT in advance of the Big Navi launch... I had a feeling this week was going to suck too. So I grabbed an open box 5500 XT from NewEgg for $119 to hold me over.

1. Xbox Series S
  2. Xbox Series X
  3. PlayStation 5
  4. AMD 3000 series
  5. AMD 4000 series
  6. AMD 5000 series
  7. AMD RX 6000 GPUs
  8. NVIDIA GA100 Ampere

True that may be the reason for this launch, but it's a common occurrence around gpu\cpu launches. The days of stockpiling inventory to have a good launch seem to be a distant memory, these days it's set a date and fire out whatever they have on that date. Anyone recall the fury x launch? There was something like 6 of them for the entire uk iirc, and even review samples were getting passed around media left and right due to lack of supply. I don't really ever recall a time when that card was in stock in any real numbers, it just seemed to vanish after a few months and little availability (and a wonky pump that never seemed to be fixed). I'd give them a pass on that due to hbm being very finicky at the time but launches in general just seem to be insanely understocked in the last lot of years.

I find it ironic that amd finally put out a card with a good cooler and word doing the rounds is these cards will likely not be around for any length of time and it'll be aib only fairly quickly.

XFX RX 6800 XT Speedster just showed up on Newegg. Of course, removed from my cart before I could enter my order.

Back