I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
I think today might have just been the embargo, no actual stock shipping. And if you want a hybrid card, that's what they cost - that IS the MSRP for the card with the additional cooling. Not a markup.
I'm used to AIB cards costing more but this seems more than usual. Also, the 6800 XT is supposed to be cheaper than the 3080 but the AIB models between the two are priced similarly now which to me negates the extra value you're supposed to get with the 6800 XT.

I managed to put an order for Powercolor 6800 Fighter, 699€ including taxes, from a finnish seller Jimms PC Store. Not sure if the order is final but at least it went through, got confirmation email and all. A 50 euro over what reference models cost so not bad (compared to Asus AIB model, what the hell are they smoking!!!?) but still kinda shitty to pay extra. Also only after ordering I figured out that the cooler is 2.5 slot, all of them are! FFS, having a 2 slot cooler was one of the reasons why I was eyeing on 6800 over XT! Oh well, it will fit in my ITX case but I have to get rid of the bottom RGB fans and maybe eventually replace them with slim ones which will fit... Probably...

Anyway, here is to hoping everything goes well. An upgrade is well overdue. 🍻

I think today might have just been the embargo, no actual stock shipping. And if you want a hybrid card, that's what they cost - that IS the MSRP for the card with the additional cooling. Not a markup.

According to Kyle earlier in this thread:

25th is the target date. Not all will hit the same day though. ASICs have gone to AIBs that would commit to getting those to retailer shelves the quickest.

Waiting in line at the Houston Micro Center and I think there’s got to be 60-70 people right now. I’m a little bummed that they don’t have any AIB 6800XT in stock. We’ll see what else they have in stock, but not keeping my hopes up.

I'm used to AIB cards costing more but this seems more than usual. Also, the 6800 XT is supposed to be cheaper than the 3080 but the AIB models between the two are priced similarly now which to me negates the extra value you're supposed to get with the 6800 XT.
AIB 3080s still seem to be higher, off top of my head... but not by a ton.

EVGA has the 3080 XC3 Hydro Copper for $809 and ASUS is trying to sell a TUF 6800XT for $809.

I'm not buying from AMD AIBs.

Yeah I am starting to think that the AIB are doing the MSI and scalping their cards and instead of doing it from the shadows they just do it openly now. Powercolor was priced okay but holy mother of god what is going on with Asus and the rest!

Yeah I am starting to think that the AIB are doing the MSI and scalping their cards and instead of doing it from the shadows they just do it openly now. Powercolor was priced okay but holy mother of god what is going on with Asus and the rest!
AMD is loosing out on sales. Once the Ti models are announced, mindshare will shift back to Nvidia.

ASUS’s TUF 3080s sell for $699 (MSRP) and $749 for the OC variant ($50 over MSRP). Why are they charging so much more for the 6800XT?

Newegg just has a drop off all the brands of the 6800XT. Sold out instantly.
Not only that, Newegg is adding a markup over and above the MSRP for at least some of the AiB cards. As an example, Techpowerup lists the MSRP of Saphire's 6800XT Nitro+ as $770 (with no real overclocking improvement over the reference model) and Newegg was listing it for $829 + shipping.

At this point, I'm only going to guess that the AIB cards are not really available for sale yet.

I really wanted a 6800xt for my new 3440x1440 monitor as I felt my overclocked 5700xt was going to struggle. Turn down a few settings to medium though and wow it's surprisingly playable with no perceptible difference in image quality. I'm not hurting where I am.

If 3080's are selling for $800 why in the world would AIB's not charge more for 6800XT's. AMD can't stop it and if price fixing is now the new norm...why not. There are profits to be made, demand is high, and people won't vote with their wallets. Can you blame them.

I really wanted a 6800xt for my new 3440x1440 monitor as I felt my overclocked 5700xt was going to struggle. Turn down a few settings to medium though and wow it's surprisingly playable with no perceptible difference in image quality. I'm not hurting where I am.
Yeah 5700xt is surprising agile. Only game I'm really seeing it struggle with is Destiny 2 since they launched beyond light. Even with a 5600x at 4.8 ghz, it sees dips in the high 40 to mid 50s for extended periods of time. Their new redo really broke the pc performance of the game. For a game designed for 1st gen ps4/xbox one, it i now running worse than ever on pc. Even at native 720p and taking that down to another 50% reduced res modifier it still can't gold stable 60fps, and that's with the fastest gaming processor in the world right now. I'm hoping new AMD gpu will at least bump that up a bit, although the game always ran a little better on Nvidia hardware.

still cant get one to my cart to check out. i know in time the stock will meet demand but when i saw the pricing for partner boards it seems like they are either the same as the 3080s or in some cases more. at that point any pricing/performance advantage for me personally is eliminated and cost becomes a bigger factor. hopefully these prices will come down to more reasonable markups. I dont fault the partners for having a markup but wow.

Hi. I'm stupid.

AIB = GPU, right? Add In Board? Just another term for GPU?
AIB supplier or AIB partner is the company that buys the AMD (or Nvidia) gpu to put on a board and then bring a complete and usable graphics card or AIB to market.

I've been playing on medium/high settings in FPS for a while at 3440x1440 144Hz with G-Sync. Butter smooth and still having fun.
The IQ decrease is only noticeable in high contrast lighting situations. Heavy front or back lit scenes.

Back