I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
Tried to purchase a 6800XT from Best Buy this morning, but it never went out of "Coming Soon" status. Not too surprised about day 1 launch stock though, since I figured the AIBs were more focused on building custom versions of those cards for next Wednesday's (11/25) launch. Probably going to try my luck then at Micro Center, since I'll be visiting family in Houston for the Thanksgiving holiday.

I never expected to get one on day one. But I trust FrgMstr at his word when is spills the beans form his sources. I didn't even try much to get one I will probably be waiting for AIB cards now given most stock is going there and they are only a week away. I guess the jury is still out on this and if we get frequent instock notifications then that means cards are flowing through. For 3080 I got may be 2 notifications in the last 3 weeks.

I got next week off from work so I will be ready to try and buy an AIB card.

Seeing how much pent up demand there is for the 6800/6800XT and what seems to be very little availability/stock right now, I expect the situation may repeat, or be even be worse when the 6900XT drops in Dec. Even if supply is ramping up, there is no way it can keep up with demand right now... and given that it is a more premium offering with possibly lower chip yields, I can't see supply keeping up with demand for the 6900XT either. Hopefully all of these newer AMD GPUs begin churning out in enough quantity to finally push through the demand surge by early next year though - especially as AIB offerings also start spreading things out.

I voted that I didn't even try to buy as I planned on skipping the 6800/6800XT altogether in favor of gunning for a 6900XT next month... Now I'm glad I was lucky enough to snag a Strix 3090 during the Zen 5000 series launch. Was a totally unplanned / spur of the moment purchase - just got lucky with a MC voucher after having camped near the front of the line. Now I'm really glad that I did take that plunge given just how crazy demand is right now coupled with all the supply shortages being experienced. The 6900XT may turn out to be a better choice then the 3090 (especially performance/price ratio), but then again, one has to actually be able to buy the damn thing in the first place! I really do hope that things turn around early next year. The supply issues are just completely nuts right now. Never thought we'd all be struggling like this just to buy new gear!

Last edited:
Moore'sLawisDead was alleging that roughly 2/3 of the initial stock went to AiB's for custom designs rather than reference cards and doing a little retconning of his previous statements about launch availability vs launch plus first week-ish availability. Hopefully there will be some legitimate availability from the major e-tailers for a good five or ten minutes next week as Best Buy has had "coming soon" all day for the two 6800 and two 6800XT cards.

In the US at least, it does seem like the only people who got reference cards were a lucky few from Newegg (for what 10 seconds), an equally lucky few with direct orders from AMD, and those who camped out at the front of the line at Microcenters.

I was able to add a 6800XT card to my cart on Newegg, but I didn't have the money to buy it so I didn't try to check out.

I was working at release time for the 6800XT so I knew I had no chance.

Still backordered on a 5900x and it looks like I might not get one until next year.

The 6800XT seems to be more scarce than the Ryzen 5000 series of cpus!

Perhaps the only real stock went to reviewers.

for first gen ray-tracing support AMD did really well...yes it's lagging behind Nvidia but overall looking at the big picture it's really impressive and bodes well for their 2nd gen RT cards...

I'm glad we can change vote. Will revisit this thread in 2 weeks, hopefully to change vote.

Seeing how much pent up demand there is for the 6800/6800XT and what seems to be very little availability/stock right now, I expect the situation may repeat, or be even be worse when the 6900XT drops in Dec. Even if supply is ramping up, there is no way it can keep up with demand right now... and given that it is a more premium offering with possibly lower chip yields, I can't see supply keeping up with demand for the 6900XT either. Hopefully all of these newer AMD GPUs begin churning out in enough quantity to finally push through the demand surge by early next year though - especially as AIB offerings also start spreading things out.

I voted that I didn't even try to buy as I planned on skipping the 6800/6800XT altogether in favor of gunning for a 6900XT next month... Now I'm glad I was lucky enough to snag a Strix 3090 during the Zen 5000 series launch. Was a totally unplanned / spur of the moment purchase - just got lucky with a MC voucher after having camped near the front of the line. Now I'm really glad that I did take that plunge given just how crazy demand is right now coupled with all the supply shortages being experienced. The 6900XT may turn out to be a better choice then the 3090 (especially performance/price ratio), but then again, one has to actually be able to buy the damn thing in the first place! I really do hope that things turn around early next year. The supply issues are just completely nuts right now. Never thought we'd all be struggling like this just to buy new gear!
Was that Marietta?

So at this point after launch compared to 3080/3090, iirc, 400% more registered HardForum users bought 6800 cards compared to 3080/90. 3 vs 12. Surely anecdotal, but an interesting data point.

Id say the scalpers once again ran the table, at least for 6800 XT.

Why cant these smart tech people figure out a way to fuck the bots?
Should be simple.
1 purchase every 30 minutes per person.

Thanks FrgMstr for the encouraging news.
This situation is getting discouraging.
First ammo, now GPUs.......damn.....need new hobbies.

Unfortunately, if you look at the poll,sales of 8% of those who tried; 4% of all respondants.
bots ftw.........sadly.

Last edited:
25th is the target date. Not all will hit the same day though. ASICs have gone to AIBs that would commit to getting those to retailer shelves the quickest.
Hopefully by then the internet will be in a whirlwind of distraction for the ramp up to black friday and cyber monday, mayhaps we'll all be rewarded for our patience.

Hopefully by then the internet will be in a whirlwind of distraction for the ramp up to black friday and cyber monday, mayhaps we'll all be rewarded for our patience.
NVIDIA owned pretty much the entire high end market till yesterday. NVIDIA had also abandoned the high end market for all intents and purposes. If you want to buy a high end card, you are still going to have to be diligent.

NVIDIA owned pretty much the entire high end market till yesterday. NVIDIA had also abandoned the high end market for all intents and purposes. If you want to buy a high end card, you are still going to have to be diligent.
I feel like an idiot because I was at the cash register with a Strix 3090 for 1799 and I got cold feet and handed it back and walked out. Oh well it is what it is. Card has since sold.

Did some camping out for a 3080. They only had gigabyte models, and then at the last moment they said they found 3 6800XTs. I bought one.

Did some camping out for a 3080. They only had gigabyte models, and then at the last moment they said they found 3 6800XTs. I bought one.
Nice!, and what's wrong with gigabyte models? i have seen nothing but good reviews, at least for the gaming oc i just preordered:)

Nice!, and what's wrong with gigabyte models? i have seen nothing but good reviews, at least for the gaming oc i just preordered:)
I wasnt 100% sure they would get waterblocks. The 6800xts for sure would so I got that instead.

Was thinking about trying to snag one but when i seen the websites going down quicker than a bargain basement hooker i knew it was pointless trying.

Wonder if this will be the "norm" going forward, new cpu's, gpu's and consoles all getting "botted" for the scalping brigade (because somehow there always seems to be a shortage of inventory on a launch), or at the very least sites going to shit constantly.

Honestly nothing wrong. I didn't have time to look at it. They told me they wouldnt really hold it so buy it now or not. I went with the 100% option. Either one is really ok for me.
I would have grabbed it as well, i really wanted to switch to team red this time, oh well, maybe next time in 5 years amd:(

I had every intention of grabbing an RX 6800, but the availability of anything above an RTX 2060 has been godawful. A friend offered to me up with an RTX 3070 at cost, and I jumped because I didn't want to wait months longer for an upgrade. Nice as 16GB RAM and beefier performance in non-raytraced apps would have been, I'll take Nvidia's software advantage this time.

Last edited:
I do foresee RX6800 in my rig one day. But I will wait until the worst storm is over, stock is plentyful and prices stabilize. So I did not even try to get one.

Wonder if this will be the "norm" going forward, new cpu's, gpu's and consoles all getting "botted" for the scalping brigade (because somehow there always seems to be a shortage of inventory on a launch), or at the very least sites going to shit constantly.
For consoles yes but for CPU/GPU, I imagine it will depends on the launch of the cpus, the 5700 or the 5600xt+ that will next launch will maybe have very little hype around it and when GPU will be basically has old has CPU with has low of generation jump between them (or when raising power to gain performance will stop being an reasonable option).

This launch is special because for a segment it is a bit of a first one in 4 year's, I could see this being the norm for any popular hyped launch

5BAD168F-67B1-4462-9F2F-6A6B7E475C32.jpeg
Actually a lot smaller than I thought. Now the wait for the gpu water block begins.

Congrats!

Any card sag?
No actually. My old 1070 FTW sags quite a bit compared to the 6800xt. I don't really notice at all, but then again the 6800xt is going on water soon.

Damn, that looks great.

Been trying to get one, what's the best way? Locally?
Honestly, I camped out in front of Microcenter since for some reason only a few people bothered to do so early today. Usually by 4 am theres 10-15 people out but today there was only 2 so I took a chance and went.

Back