I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
I'm signed up for AMD's Red Team marketing email list. Got an email around 7:45 AM CDT with a link.
Nice congrats on getting one. Looooong time ago i was part of their system builder community. Is that basically the same thing or is there a new venue for these lists?

Strange thing... I've still got AMD's 6800 XT page loaded, and when I refreshed a few minutes ago, the price went up to $849. It's showing $649 again right now.

Strange thing... I've still got AMD's 6800 XT page loaded, and when I refreshed a few minutes ago, the price went up to $849. It's showing $649 again right now.
AMD will NOT be selling its MBA cards directly above SEP/MSRP. Quite frankly, setting SEP/MSRP is one of the major reasons they still sell cards direct. It allows them some form of control of that. Interestingly, GPUs are a lot different than audio components etc. Sony sets MSRP and controls that through allocation so that prices are not LOWER than MSRP, whereas it is completely opposite in the GPU industry. GPU MSRPs are set to add a level of control over up-pricing.

Started looking around 8:00. Never even got one in my cart, all sold out.

Guess this Frank guy owes someone $10.

Screenshot_20201118-111828_Chrome.jpg

Closest I got was the 6800 in my cart on the AMD site before it locked me out. Never even saw them available on Newegg or Amazon.

AMD will NOT be selling its MBA cards directly above SEP/MSRP. Quite frankly, setting SEP/MSRP is one of the major reasons they still sell cards direct. It allows them some form of control of that. Interestingly, GPUs are a lot different than audio components etc. Sony sets MSRP and controls that through allocation so that prices are not LOWER than MSRP, whereas it is completely opposite in the GPU industry. GPU MSRPs are set to add a level of control over up-pricing.
Absolutely agree. I was surprised I saw the price change on that refresh and was glad it went back!

I spent an hour from 9-10 to secure a card. My wife made it to checkout and it fell flat. I am just going to order a 3080 at work through Ingram after seeing reviews.

Well the other thing to note, maybe not the thread for it but it has an AMD GPU, is that my xbox just got delivered as well from costco 5 minutes ago.

AMD's page changed the price again, and this time I got a screenshot...

Edit: It's returned to regular price now. I bet this is webserver load balancing and one webserver has the wrong price.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Edit: It's returned to regular price now. I bet this is webserver load balancing and one webserver has the wrong price.

AMD has been doing that for weeks with random price changes on sold out pages for various products. I see the 5950x for example jump around from MSRP to almost 1400 on occasion. It's strange but whatever.

That the regular "Subscribe to the latest news and updates from AMD" mailing list or a different one?

Nice congrats on getting one. Looooong time ago i was part of their system builder community. Is that basically the same thing or is there a new venue for these lists?
I honestly have no idea. I'm pretty sure I'm just signed up for it because of a giveaway or something.

AMD has been doing that for weeks with random price changes on sold out pages for various products. I see the 5950x for example jump around from MSRP to almost 1400 on occasion. It's strange but whatever.
It's because they randomly mismatch and send you pricing from another region - hence the alternate currency translation. To find out where you are being redirected to, look up the msrp, and match it to the price they gave you and voila, you know where they are mistaking you for.

It's because they randomly mismatch and send you pricing from another region - hence the alternate currency translation. To find out where you are being redirected to, look up the msrp, and match it to the price they gave you and voila, you know where they are mistaking you for.
I think that the price error is a region mismatch as stated. I would guess that is the Canadian pricing that is being shown to you. This is assuming you are in the USA.

I think this is an anti bot measure, so it gives false positives to bots. Could be completely wrong but just a guess. I was having this happen to me too.

Also, 6800 series cards from AMD and AIBs should be dropping nearly daily through the end of December. Stock shipments will actually be ramping up steadily.
Fingers crossed it'll happen.

I hit the AMD page at 9am, and immediately hit the add to cart for the 6800 XT. I was able to go into the cart, through the checkout, add my info, and confirm order. Then... weirdly it brought be right back to the main page... ok... so I did it again, but now the XT was sold out. Alright, so I tried again just going for the 6800 and was able to get all the way through with an order confirmation and a charge to my cc. So we'll see. Either way, if stock is going to come in on a daily basis, I'll wait a week or two before unboxing this, if I can get a XT, I'll sell this card to a friend.

Canadian here - refreshing sites showed NO updates/products - and then - when they did update, they updated as out of stock.
I am pretty sure Canada got shafted hard on the graphics.
A shame since I live right by the old ATI headquarters.

Canadian here - refreshing sites showed NO updates/products - and then - when they did update, they updated as out of stock.
I am pretty sure Canada got shafted hard on the graphics.
A shame since I live right by the old ATI headquarters.

Torontonian here... I was able to snag a 6800 but they went quick.

Unlike Zen 3 and 3080/3090, I didn't even see RX 6000 cards list on local Micro Center website here in Denver. Seems they didn't even get any.

MC only sold them in-person for now, no listing on the site. Reports from various MC employees around the country told people in line they have ~10-15 units at the various locations. Some MCs did get AMD CPU and NV 3000 series along with the AMD GPUs so if you waited in line all night there was a chance you might've left with something else.

I spent my morning on Amazon. 9:00 sharp is when the listings popped up, and none showed them available to me, and I opened it at 9:00 sharp. They didn't even last 5 seconds. Apparently 6800 non-XT on Amazon lasted about 5 minutes post launch from a few people on Discord.

Newegg showed in stock for all of a handful of minutes but you couldn't actually place an order, would error out when I tried adding on cart

AMD.com's site showed stock for about 15 minutes I believe, but I was on it the entire time too and couldn't manage to get checked out

Best Buy still is just showing "coming soon" for the two models they have - probably also ~10 cards each for a grand total of 20 cards, if MC is anything to go by, and how quickly it sold out elsewhere.

Complete dud of a launch for us consumers, at least on day 1. Crossing my fingers for either daily AMD.com restocks in the mornings or for the 25th for the other boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete dud of a lunch. Crossing my fingers for either daily AMD.com restocks in the mornings or for the 25th for the other boards.

Well, according to Kyle I don't think it'll be a dud launch. It may take a week to restock but it sounds like it'll pretty much be daily or close to that, and sounds 100x better than NV.

During the payment process, or? You were able to login before hand?
Check out, I already had payment there, just the confirmation "place order" page, same issue others had, I got banned temporarily for hitting refresh :p
No accounts on the AMD site

So now we come to the $64,000 question for today's launch: Bot-wielding scalper impact! Would you say their impact today was either light? Moderate? Or heavy? Out!

Back