I blame all the kids born in the 90's for turning all my beloved classics into FPS!!

Being born in the 90's is fun but unfortunately you missed the golden age of fps just by the simple fact you were really to young at that point. You primed up in the 00's so that puts you in the Xbox era with halo. I say you have good taste if you avoided that though.

Well I slightly enjoyed halo 1, but that's because I played it with my older brother. But honestly, I stopped caring about it after the first playthrough. Instead I got immersed in morrowind at the time. The first good FPS I played was CoD 1(single player, not multi). But I also always enjoyed the civilization games, just like I enjoy the Total War Games now.

I never did get into counter strike though, probably because I played CoD4 before I ever touched that.

I know you were a little kid so I forgive you for forgetting about...

Sim City
Sim Earth
Echo the Dolphin
Wild Arms
Final Fantasy VII Saving the planet was the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME :p
Xenogears - Delt with human's relationships with tech and machines.
Metal Gear Solid (more so the wrongs of war than green stuff)

Played them all. I started gaming on a Commodore64, an Amiga, and an Atari 2600. A little young in your eyes, but I started my gaming on the right machines before I ever discovered consoles. A proud game for 22 years. I never enjoyed Halo. It was a solid game but I had played it 5-6 years earlier when Bungie did Marathon for mac. That was a fun game.

The number of players in a 3 or 4 browser-based games equals the online players in all FPS games combined.

This is a terrible example you give, because those are games rely exclusively on fast paced action gameplay and combat that (as mentioned in my last post) the isometric perspective simply cannot accommodate. So yes, it would completely destroy the 'core' of what those games are, but that's because of the limited nature of those games. They're severely lacking the other aspects that would usually collectively support a game, such as storyline. Practically, their only strength lies in something that in turn depends on the First Person Perspective.

Not really. Swap every mention of FPS & isometric qualities in your statement, and you'll see that the statement will still apply.

Those games rely exclusively on slower paced thought provoking gameplay and tactical/strategic combat that (as mentioned in my last post) the FPS perspective simply cannot accommodate. So yes, it would completely destroy the 'core' of what those games are, but that's because of the unlimited nature of those games. They're fortunatelylacking the other aspects that would usually collectively support such a game, such as OMG SHINY 'SPLOSIONS & BOOM HEADSHOTS!!!11. Practically, their many strengths lies in something that in turn depends on no First Person Perspective.

First Person does NOT equal 'dumbed down'.

Of course it doesn't. I enjoy the occasional FPS, and my favorite would have to be Arma2, because it's not dumbed down; far far from it actually. But as you said, they just tend to go hand in hand, because developers want to make things easy for gamers and do what it takes to make everything stupid over the top action & special effects (google the Hollywood Blockbuster mentality that some directors have complained about for a very similar story.)

I actually blame them all for the shitty games but good graphics. With their short attention span and instant gratification attitude, companies keep pumping out garbage for them

Back in the 90"s, a console was a few hundred bucks, a computer, alot more. Today, computers are down in price enough for anyone to be able to put together a playable machine fairly cheap, alot cheaper than in the 90's. My first harddrive was a 20 gb hardcard, for $250.00. A Tandy was $1200 and was piss poor slow. We're now seeing some more immersive games besides FPSer's, such as Skyrim and Arkham City. So I wouldn't worry about everything going FPS, it's just that they're money makers. It has nothing to do with kid's from the 90"s. It's the technology that's available that dictates what is put out and with newer computers being able to keep up with the graphics, we aint seen nothing yet, and what we will see, will not be exclusively FPS.

jime

I don't mind FPS when it comes out in the form of Deus Ex or Vampire: Bloodlines, though I do hold a special place in my heart for 2.5D isometric RPGs of the Black Isle variety.

I think the Call of Duty hype / strawberry milking is only one part of the equation; I remember disliking the first-person aspects of Morrowind and Might & Magic IX. It really cuts through genre / personal taste and has more to do with what does and doesn't work in game design. One of my big complaints about a game like Morrowind was that the first-person view allowed you to "fall into" the game, spending like 45 minutes just wandering between the spaces of town for no good reason, no plot guidance, nothing. It really felt more like an unfinished module out of a game-editor; whereas with a game like Fallout 2 you could wander in a more streamlined and meaningful way.

Doesn't matter what party your in, dumb is dumb.
OK, I blame it all on people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"... and the difference between "to" and "too"... seriously folks, why is you the dumb?

OK, I blame it all on people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"... and the difference between "to" and "too"... seriously folks, why is you the dumb?

Yeah, your right. But you have to remember, those people are way to dumb too realise they're problem, its a real shame that the rest of us loose out threw they're ignorance, their just to dumb to know better.

(that was almost painful to type :p)

Yeah, your right. But you have to remember, those people are way to dumb too realise they're problem, its a real shame that the rest of us loose out threw they're ignorance, their just to dumb to know better.

(that was almost painful to type :p)

holy shit that would have taken some serious concentration to pull off to such a retard level.

Many great modern games are not FPS... WoW is an amazing game, and it often requires a broad camera angle to play correctly. Game itself gets boring after a few months.

D3 being an fps kills the perspective necessary to see all around you at the same time. Ideally it would've worked for D3 if the camera system was exactly like WoW, but then it'd feel too much like WoW, even if it kept all the same actual current game content as D3 is now.

Simply put Diablo isn't Diablo without the right camera angle to preserve its gameplay style.

2im3iq.jpg

I thiink sometimes we forget the kids run the video game industy.
Adults buy the games, but the kids are the majority who play them.

At some point, you just have to admit that you're getting too old for video games.
Fulfill your need for fun by partying with loose women. Games become an afterthought rather quickly.

At some point, you just have to admit that you're getting too old for video games.
Fulfill your need for fun by partying with loose women. Games become an afterthought rather quickly.

The adults (people 30+) run the industry. It's the same thing when all the old people complain about the "young peoples" pop music being all shitty. When you can and look at who is producing/writing the crap, it's usually the old people that made all the crap before. It's unlikely all these "console port" titles are made by 12 year olds. :p

I guess it was karma then that Police Quest/SWAT was turned into an isometric game which then was turned into a first person game? :p

Statistically the average age of "gamers" is rising every year and is quite old (think 30s).

Statistically the average age of "gamers" is rising every year and is quite old (think 30s).

One thing missing from a lot of those statistics is a definition of what is a gamer. I think the average age of people playing games like we discuss here on [H] might be lower than if you include things like facebook games, solitaire, minesweeper and the like, or someone who has played some sort of electronic game in the past year even if its only for less than an hour. I know the average age of gamers in my family is 41 if you include those sorts of gamers. If you don't, its 26, 26 being my age coz I'm the only one in my family who actually plays the sorts of games we talk about on this forum. I'm sure the average age of MMO gamers is again very different as well.

Though I do feel the people to blame for gaming being the way it is now isn't the kids, its the young adults. Impatient young adults who just want to pew pew a few people for a couple of hours a week who like playing games, have the money to buy lots of games, but don't have the time or patience to play huge deep games unless its a 1 off like Skyrim.

Back