I bet no one has heard of this problem before.

Drewis

Limp Gawd
Hey all. I have probably the rarest problem (i think) there is..

I recently bought a Gigabyte 965 DQ6. Its only 2 months old. Good motherboard all in all... Weirdest thing has been happening.

Everytime I type, move the mouse, access my harddrive, I hear a very strange noise, almost like electricity flowing through my mobo... I have eliminated everything in my case as the problem, and it seems like its electronic noise coming from one of the voltage regulators that lie around the CPU socket... Has anyone even heard of this before? And if so, what do I do?

The system is stable, however this noise is extremely annoying, my case being loud doesnt even cover the noise...

Anyone with any input please let me know!!

If you have primary and or secondary line in ports on your soundcard, be it onboard or add in board, mute that line in the volume properties.

Might help, might not, I have heard of this before, also somtimes happens with moving mice, specificly wireless radio mice, the jacks somtimes pick up extranious radio signals.

I thought that origionally, and I will try that solution and post back. Only reason why I didnt was because it happens even before it gets into windows.

Almost immediately after I boot up..

yep.. i know u cant hear electricity, i meant it was a bad cap or voltage regulator.. as you said :) .... although you can hear the force of the current... I have heard powerlines before and they hum..

anyways, yeah tried that to no avail.

bah i dont wanna RMA this board..

whoa when i play a 3d game it gets louder and stays on.. this is weird.. anyone have experience with gigabytes rma?

whoa when i play a 3d game it gets louder and stays on.. this is weird.. anyone have experience with gigabytes rma?

time to take that board out before it takes all your components with it ;)

I have a board that will sometimes "squeal". From what I've found out on the subject, it's usually a ferrite coil that happens to vibrate. If that's what it is, it's not damaging, but annoying as anything >< I had to take the board back to stock as it only did it when OCed and was out of warranty.

sounds like normal motherboard squeal that's becoming all too common nowadays. rma would be tough unfortunately. Do you also hear the squeal coming from the psu? Sometimes that'll cause squeals from the motherboard as well, and if you switch psu's, the squeal will quiet down a little bit.

There is only once that I have had something similar to this happen. I bought a Gateway PC way back in the days and when I changed the Gateway mouse out for a scrolling optical mouse that I picked up cheap, everytime I scrolled with the optical mouse it made this weird ass sound. Still never figured it out to this day and my ma has the PC now.

on a side note, I came across a thread that said the gigabit is the source of it on the ds3. I had that squeal, unfortunately I don't know if this is true because mine fried and I gave it up for a p5k-dlx that had that same squeal...so, I disconnected my old maxtor ide and it was gone, :)

im going to try and disable the ethernet and see if that helps. but it honestly does sound like its coming from under the hsf on my cpu lol..

thats exactly what it is, a squeal... im gonna have to exchange it...

RMA is going to be a pain though yea and especially because this board was hard to get in my city, my reseller doesnt stock it and its out of stock everywhere else.

yep no avail..

only thing i can think of is trying another PSU. ive had suspicions this one is going anyways.

the problem happens at stock, and overclocked, but is more prevailant o/c'd

There is only once that I have had something similar to this happen. I bought a Gateway PC way back in the days and when I changed the Gateway mouse out for a scrolling optical mouse that I picked up cheap, every time I scrolled with the optical mouse it made this weird ass sound. Still never figured it out to this day and my ma has the PC now.
It's your on-board sound and you can't fix it, other than by installing a separate sound card. It is caused by electrical interference on the motherboard. When you move your mouse, data moves along the USB or PS2 lanes which are near the on-board sound. The on-board sound picks up the electrical signals from the lanes and outputs it to your speakers.

Back