I am very confused

yegor

Limp Gawd
Ive been getting very high temps with my QX6700 (stock cooler, stock speed). 70C idle, 100C when rendering video.

I bought a scythe Infinity, and upgraded to a massive Lian-Li case. Temperatures were virtually unaffected. Im getting lower idle temps, but under load Im still pushing 90C+. Its running stock speeds! I also have the arctic silver grease applied.... not too much, just enough to cover the entire CPU with a visible layer.

What am I doing wrong?

Flatness? What do you mean?

Excuse the mess....
comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

:eek: You definitely need to do some wire management. Those wires are restricting air flow which is 1 factor why your temps are high. How many volts are you running your fan on?

reseat your cpu, clean it off real good with 90% or better rubbing alcohol and then put a small drop of AS on the center then lock down the cooler there should be a very very thin layer of thermal material, all you are trying to do is fill in the microscopic cracks.

plan to fix the wiring a bit later. I just put this thing together.... and I doubt it would be making that much of a difference. Its idling at 60 C..... with an open case.

How many volts? I really dont know..... how would I check? Im getting about 1100 rpm on the 120mm fan that came with the infinity, which seems rather slow.

Also, for some weird reason, the fan, on the back of the case, that plugs into the mobo isn't working. I couldnt find anything int he BIOS. :confused:

reseat your cpu, clean it off real good with 90% or better rubbing alcohol and then put a small drop of AS on the center then lock down the cooler there should be a very very thin layer of thermal material, all you are trying to do is fill in the microscopic cracks.

Already done.

what is your motherboard, case and ambient temps?

That rear fan looks like it will help alot, try pluging it in direct to the power supply with an addapter.

SpeedFan gives me pretty weird info.

CPU: 61C
AUX: 42C
System: 8C (this cant be right)

nVidea Monitor shows:
CPU: 61C
System: 41C
GPU: 60C

CoreTemp shows the following temps for different cores
73, 71, 56, 60.

I would say you need to get that rear fan working, with ambient of 27 your system temp should be closer to 30 - 35. also look in the bios and make sure you are not limiting your fan speeds, I use a fan controller myself but I know some boards reduce fan speed at idle and can forget to up the speed when necessary.

My fan speeds are set at 100%, manually. But I remember my stock fan did over 2.2k rpm, this 1 does 1/2 of that. How can I increase it?

You mentioned that your heatsink compound was 'a visible layer'... does this mean you spread it with a card?? If you did thats a no no. put a half a pea sized amount directly in the center of your CPU heat transfer plate and let the heatsink spread it out. You can also rub in a tiny amount into the bottom of your HSF as well to fill in any microscopic grooves.

hope this helps

1. Download cpu-z to check voltage
2. Replace rear fan or make sure it's connected properly
3. Make sure the Infinity cooler is clearing everything on the motherboard, meaning it's not in contact with anything on the mobo other than the processor. Otherwise, it wouldn't be making proper contact with the proc.
4. CPU flatness: the processor itself may be concave. With the temps you're getting, I'd say it's grounds for rma if the temps are that bad.

Im getting 1.296v. I didn't change it, so its set to auto.

The processor is indeed flat. The cooler isn't touching anything.

As for putting the thermal compound.... I did spread it over the CPU with a credit card. Is that bad?

The computer was idling for the night, and the CPU is at 69C right now. Same as it was before in a much smaller case, and stock heatsink.

which way is your rear 120mm fan blowing? I had great temps with my v series case. Are your interested in any modding? I had the plexi window on mine and just cut a whole and mounted a 120mm blowing inward over my cards and cpu with the rear fan exhausting. My temps were phenomenal.

No the rear fan is suppose to blow out. The front fan blows in.

I dont think any of these mods are necessary to run the CPU at stock speed with a massive heatsink thats suppose to make it idle at 35C, and Im getting 70.

comp2.jpg

Is the heatsink touching against that sheet of case metal there? From the pic it looks like it is meaning that the heatsink won't be pressing squarely against the cpu.

If that is indeed the case then you'll have to either bend that metal sheet or cut a hole in it to allow the heatsink to rest freely.

Just a thought.

I think you need to reverse the scythe fan.

Also, make sure that the fan in the back is pulling air out.

The fan on the Infinity should be pushing the air towards the rear fan and the rear fan should be pulling the air out.

And why is the scythe infinity sideways? I'm guessing it doesn't fit in the other position?

Have you tried not doing a reverse mobo setup?

comp2.jpg

Is the heatsink touching against that sheet of case metal there? From the pic it looks like it is meaning that the heatsink won't be pressing squarely against the cpu.

If that is indeed the case then you'll have to either bend that metal sheet or cut a hole in it to allow the heatsink to rest freely.

Just a thought.

I don't think the heatsink itself is touching the sheetmetal, but I think the fan itself is. That might be enough to stress the hs and screw up the hs/cpu contact.

Highly recommend you to do the Scythe Infinity mount mod. You can find the detailed instructions on XS. However it is basically using 4 6/32nds bolts about 2 1/2 inches long, 4 6/32nd threaded knurled knobs, a bunch of plastic washers, etc.... and screw everything together. Back when I was air cooling, I did this mount mod to my infinity, and lapped my CPU at the same time, MAJOR difference, you need to do this. The weight of the infinity PLUS the fact the 4 plastic push pins that are stock for intel based platforms are HORRIBLE:eek: . You will find that with a heatsink the weighs 700+grams and a 120mm fan attached to it, and sticking out horizontally from your vertical standing motherboard will cause the heatsink to lean downwards (gravity) by doing the above mentioned mount mod to your scythe cooler, it will ensure better temps, better contact, and less delta between your cores, PLUS the fact that you can have the piece of mind knowing that you can move your PC and not worry that the stock style intel push pins from coming loose.:) Good luck

Go to Arctic's site and look up their instructions for applying paste on quad-core processors, they're different than dual cores.... but apparently no one here knew about that....

And lap your processor (will void warantee though). you'll see a huge disparity in temperatures.

I think you need to reverse the scythe fan.

Also, make sure that the fan in the back is pulling air out.

The fan on the Infinity should be pushing the air towards the rear fan and the rear fan should be pulling the air out.

And why is the scythe infinity sideways? I'm guessing it doesn't fit in the other position?

Have you tried not doing a reverse mobo setup?

No the rear fan is suppose to blow out. The front fan blows in.

I dont think any of these mods are necessary to run the CPU at stock speed with a massive heatsink thats suppose to make it idle at 35C, and Im getting 70.

I said the rear fan was exhausting, that means it's blowing air out the back;) . Yeah the side fan mod shouldn't be required, but it is a great way to get optimum temps. Also you said you re-mounted it, is it in securely? It's possible that having the hs vertical like that causes it to pull off the cpu because of it's own weight. Are your temps the same when running the case flat, with the hs upwards? I don't mean to patronize you, just want to run through every possibility.

I don't think the heatsink itself is touching the sheetmetal, but I think the fan itself is. That might be enough to stress the hs and screw up the hs/cpu contact.

That's what I mean really. Looking again at the pic you can see that the furthest end of that fan does look to be touching against the sheet metal. I'd bet this is the prob or something else that's causing the heatsink to not rest properly on the cpu.

The heatsink nor the fan are touching the case, there is a few mm between them, it looks like its touching in the pic, but its not. The scythe fan blows air into the heatsink, and the case fan behind blows the air out of the case. I just an adapter, so I can enable that fan, going to do that now. I didnt try a horizontal setup, but thats a good idea. Will post results once I try.

Where or what is "XS"?

Highly recommend you to do the Scythe Infinity mount mod. You can find the detailed instructions on XS. However it is basically using 4 6/32nds bolts about 2 1/2 inches long, 4 6/32nd threaded knurled knobs, a bunch of plastic washers, etc.... and screw everything together. Back when I was air cooling, I did this mount mod to my infinity, and lapped my CPU at the same time, MAJOR difference, you need to do this. The weight of the infinity PLUS the fact the 4 plastic push pins that are stock for intel based platforms are HORRIBLE:eek: . You will find that with a heatsink the weighs 700+grams and a 120mm fan attached to it, and sticking out horizontally from your vertical standing motherboard will cause the heatsink to lean downwards (gravity) by doing the above mentioned mount mod to your scythe cooler, it will ensure better temps, better contact, and less delta between your cores, PLUS the fact that you can have the piece of mind knowing that you can move your PC and not worry that the stock style intel push pins from coming loose.:) Good luck

Well, I got the fan at the back working, it dropped the temp by about 10c, so now Im getting 55-60 idle temp. Still very high....

You may want to go to the hardware store and pick up some small bolts, nuts, washers & springs maybe and bolt the Infinity down real snug while out of the case for starters. hate those plastic tie downs:)

Well, I put back the case door, and the temp is up to 65C again after about an hour.

Can you test the system by putting the case on its side so that the heatsink fully rests on the CPU?

You can even put a bit of pressure on the heatsink using your hand to see if the temperatures change. If they do, then you have a contact issue and you should do the "bolt" mod.

XtremeSystems has been down, so the link will have to come later!

Or you can try the google cached results...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117054

You may want to go to the hardware store and pick up some small bolts, nuts, washers & springs maybe and bolt the Infinity down real snug while out of the case for starters. hate those plastic tie downs

Can you test the system by putting the case on its side so that the heatsink fully rests on the CPU?

those are both good ideas.
you should remember the quad cores are much hotter then duals. 55 idle isnt that bad for a heatsink. thermal cutoff for the 6700 is 85c, for the q6700 its 100c. thats +15c difference. normal idle for a 6700 is around 40, an idle of 55 is on par. when you put the side on and force the air to go thru that cable cluster fuck another +10c shouldnt be unexpected. also you have the fan on that heatsink on the wrong side, its pulling/pushing against the wall of heatpipes, its cooling one half of the heatsink, but the air is entering the center and bypassing the other side with the heatpipes, making one side hotter then the other. put the fan on the top or bottom if you can . also the wires you have between the fan on that heatsink and the case are probably keeping it slightly uneven with the CPU, it might look like they are helping support it but that probably isnt the case. hope any of that helps.

Back