I am very anal why is my two 4 TB drives not the same size ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
E.jpg

F.jpg

Anyway to fix this ?

They are supposedly formatted the same way.

One is internal the other is external (It is for my backup)

They use to be the same size exactly before I RMAed one of them.

My next question how do I make E drive smaller and the same size as F ? Is it possible ?

On older drives, you could reduce the reported size of the disk using some manufacturer's tool. I don't know if you still can on today's drive. Other than that, right click the volume and shrink it by 20-21MB.

he said they were the same before an RMA.

Irrelevant.
Diffrent driver = diffrent sector structuer
The new drive is not the the same as the old one.
I will guestimte it was the external that could change end the actual hd in it is a different sub model

Its not uncoming that size are not the exact same when the model of the drive is not the same.

I have a Pair of 4TB Blacks and they are smaller than yours. I feel ripped off.
And what is up with that EFI partition on one of them?
Disk-Management-HAL-X100-26TB.jpg

My next question how do I make E drive smaller and the same size as F ? Is it possible ?
not worth the effort. My advice, pretend that you didn't notice the sizes were slightly difference and just carry on.

what is odd is that drive wasn't in the computer when windows was installed back in 2009. It was added in 2015.

of so thats weird
Dont know how that could happen.
But its always created during windows install on all computers I've installed windows on.

I have a Pair of 4TB Blacks and they are smaller than yours. I feel ripped off.
And what is up with that EFI partition on one of them?
View attachment 122659

My MB is old enough to not be EFI and I have a 100MB NTFS partition for basically the same reason. Sometime if you have multiple physical drives during install, the installer will put the 100M on one and the primary Windows partition on another. Had one recently where it put the 100M partition on a drive I didn't plan on leaving in that computer. Had to reinstall after pulling the 2nd drive as windows wouldn't boot with the 100M partition missing.

As for the OP, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some kind of image backup setup that requires perfectly matching drive sizes.

Finally fixed it!

For some odd reasons both drives weren't formatted the same way or something. I don't know. Just glad I fixed it. I knew there was something wrong.

My MB is old enough to not be EFI and I have a 100MB NTFS partition for basically the same reason. Sometime if you have multiple physical drives during install, the installer will put the 100M on one and the primary Windows partition on another. Had one recently where it put the 100M partition on a drive I didn't plan on leaving in that computer. Had to reinstall after pulling the 2nd drive as windows wouldn't boot with the 100M partition missing.
Is why I only install windows with the 1 hard drive in the system so there wont be any surprises.

As for the OP, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some kind of image backup setup that requires perfectly matching drive sizes.

and this is the examples of of installing windows incorrectly

Sometime if you have multiple physical drives during install,

No. just no. You should never have that.

Back