I am uneducated on windows 11... What's up!

auntjemima

[H]ard DCOTM x2
What are some reasons I should upgrade

I was happy on windows 7. I am happy on windows 10. Sell me on windows 11.

Auto HDR, generally performs better across the board in games.

That's about it. It feels more like a service pack to Windows 10.
That's how it looked to me in the pictures. Thanks for the info on games. It's one of the reasons I went to windows 10 from 7.

Yeah Auto HDR is the only thing I can think of. HDR in regular windows actually looks okay now too, so you don't have to constantly switch.

Other than that, eh not much. Things are now more of a giant pain in the ass, for example switching my sound configuration is a lot more clicks, opening task manager needs to be done through ctrl+alt+del instead of right clicking the taskbar.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
opening task manager needs to be done through ctrl+alt+del instead of right clicking the taskbar.
Did they remove the much faster than either mouse or ctrl-alt-del, the good old ctrl-shift-escape ?

Android app support will be big, because there are a slowly increasing number of "apps" that don't have any non-mobile alternative. Android app support should launch with the first feature update, and I believe we are only a few weeks away at this point.

I'm waiting for the first big update/service pack before upgrading which is rumored to be coming later this month...

I did a fresh install when I picked up an ADL setup. It's been functionally pretty solid for me so far. I haven't had any "gotcha" moments.

Yeah Auto HDR is the only thing I can think of. HDR in regular windows actually looks okay now too, so you don't have to constantly switch.

Other than that, eh not much. Things are now more of a giant pain in the ass, for example switching my sound configuration is a lot more clicks, opening task manager needs to be done through ctrl+alt+del instead of right clicking the taskbar.

Removing task manager from the task bar is a no no for me. Guess I'm not switching lol

Did they remove the much faster than either mouse or ctrl-alt-del, the good old ctrl-shift-escape ?

I didn't know this was a thing!

I don't know about ctrl-shift-escape, but they made things a lot slower to do.

For instance, if you right click a file you only get a limited menu of possible options, until you hit 'show me more' or something like that and you see the typical functions from past windows like rename, etc.

Another stupid one, the built in photo manager does not let you move to the next photo by using arrow keys. I shit you not. I once uploaded gigabytes of photos to drive just so I could do this, as the photos were taken sequential milliseconds apart and I needed to do this.

Unless you need a specific feature from Windows 11 I don't see a reason to upgrade.

If you're using it for gaming, you need to upgrade. Games of all types across the board get a performance bump. It's not massive, but it's more than just testing deviation.

still works, thats how i open it.

For instance, if you right click a file you only get a limited menu of possible options, until you hit 'show me more' or something like that and you see the typical functions from past windows like rename, etc.

Another stupid one, the built in photo manager does not let you move to the next photo by using arrow keys. I shit you not. I once uploaded gigabytes of photos to drive just so I could do this, as the photos were taken sequential milliseconds apart and I needed to do this.

Unless you need a specific feature from Windows 11 I don't see a reason to upgrade.
ive heard they are working on the menu thing, people really dont like it....

nah that still works

1644091389039.png

Is there a 3rd party program or setting that you can change the right click context menu to avoid the pictures and get right into the old "wordy" menu?

Just tried and it's not working for me. I can't even navigate to the next pic anywhere, I don't have those arrows like you do.

View attachment 441148
ok i just played with it a bit and its kinda goofy. if you have a folder with pics and they are associated to photos*, when you double click to open one you should see the preview window at the bottom with all the pics in the folder. you then have to mouse over that area(**in my previous pic, the edges) and the arrows pop up. if you open photos and then try to open pics it does them one at a time and you cant get the arrows. goofy thing.
*or right click>open with>photos
edit ** and speeling

Last edited:
ok i just played with it a bit and its kinda goofy. if you have a folder with pics and they are associated to photos*, when you double click to open one you should see the preview window at the bottom with all the pics in the folder. you then have to mouse over that area(**in my previous pic, the edges) and the arrows pop up. if you open photos and then try to open pics it does them one at a time and you cant get the arrows. goofy thing.
*or right click>open with>photos
edit ** and speeling

Yeah none of that seems to work for me unfortunately :( I tried double clicking and open with > photos. I never go to the photo app and manually browse photos, but all 3 options don't work for me.

Yeah none of that seems to work for me unfortunately :( I tried double clicking and open with > photos. I never go to the photo app and manually browse photos, but all 3 options don't work for me.
weird. i am on insider, so maybe there is an update coming. idk... it still acts really goofy for me as is.

I have played with Windows 11, It's pretty and all but if you liked having full control like in Windows 10 forget it. Microsoft basicly designed WIndows 11 just like Windows 8 in a vaccum of people that do not use windows for anything. Simple things are now replaced with endless clicks to just get the one setting you was looking for. Lots of places like in WIndows 10 you could just turn off background apps with a single button. Now you have to gpedit or go to settings then apps and click each one goto advanced and tell it not to run in the background for every one installed. One button in WIndow 10. You can also forget about having control over things like edge, WIndows defender, security settings to stop MS from looking at everything. Also you can forget about having custom folders in your start menu. Most people that I have seen Running windows 11 have now all there programs on folders on the desktop and shortcuts inside. It's like going back to WIndows 3.1 days. This is my start menu on My Windows 10 LTSC 2021. SImple clean and quick, also usefull.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 0
I have played with Windows 11, It's pretty and all but if you liked having full control like in Windows 10 forget it. Microsoft basicly designed WIndows 11 just like Windows 8 in a vaccum of people that do not use windows for anything. Simple things are now replaced with endless clicks to just get the one setting you was looking for. Lots of places like in WIndows 10 you could just turn off background apps with a single button. Now you have to gpedit or go to settings then apps and click each one goto advanced and tell it not to run in the background for every one installed. One button in WIndow 10. You can also forget about having control over things like edge, WIndows defender, security settings to stop MS from looking at everything. Also you can forget about having custom folders in your start menu. Most people that I have seen Running windows 11 have now all there programs on folders on the desktop and shortcuts inside. It's like going back to WIndows 3.1 days. This is my start menu on My Windows 10 LTSC 2021. SImple clean and quick, also usefull.
I'll say, I never even thought about making folders within the start menu. I currently have them in folders on the desktop and I hate how messy it looks, I just never really have the time to do my research and see what features were out there.

Why so many ways to get to the task manager lol... Crazy
Windows has always been that way. There are often lots of ways of doing a single task. If you watch people operate the OS in a screen sharing session, you'll see that almost no one uses it the same way. You'll see some people perform certain tasks the same way, but not do everything precisely the same way. I see some people do things ways that are super long and convoluted and occasionally I learn a faster way to do something watching something else.

What are some reasons I should upgrade

I was happy on windows 7. I am happy on windows 10. Sell me on windows 11.
Microsoft drops support for Window 7

Eventually drops support for Windows 10

Therefore... (sale made)

Right this instant I feel like the only real reasons to upgrade to Windows 11 are for visual preference (do you like the rounded corners, new icons, start menu, etc. ?) and for better HDR support. Being able to Hit Win+Alt+B and toggle HDR mode is absolutely awesome. Auto-HDR for old games is sometimes neat, too.
Android apps aren't available for everyone yet, but they could end up being a game changer. There are Android apps for every streaming service out there while there are only a few Windows apps (+ watching in a browser = teh suxx). There are better calendar, weather, contacts, etc. apps on Android, too. Supposedly that's coming in the next 3-4 weeks for everyone. For right now, it's just a matter of hoping they work well.

Right this instant I feel like the only real reasons to upgrade to Windows 11 are for visual preference (do you like the rounded corners, new icons, start menu, etc. ?) and for better HDR support. Being able to Hit Win+Alt+B and toggle HDR mode is absolutely awesome. Auto-HDR for old games is sometimes neat, too.
Android apps aren't available for everyone yet, but they could end up being a game changer. There are Android apps for every streaming service out there while there are only a few Windows apps (+ watching in a browser = teh suxx). There are better calendar, weather, contacts, etc. apps on Android, too. Supposedly that's coming in the next 3-4 weeks for everyone. For right now, it's just a matter of hoping they work well.

Thanks for the new shortcut!

Being able to Hit Win+Alt+B and toggle HDR mode is absolutely awesome
huh, thats a new one to me. ive started to get used to just leaving it on. sdr stuff seems to look normal with brightness set to 80ish.

My biggest gripe has been that I can no longer find a way to add a new toolbar to my taskbar. On 10, I stick all of my game launchers in a single folder, and then add that folder as a "toolbar" to the taskbar, so all i need to do is click the >> and it pops up the list of files and i can select the game i want to play.

huh, thats a new one to me. ive started to get used to just leaving it on. sdr stuff seems to look normal with brightness set to 80ish.

I learned about that shortcut on this board a few months. Before Windows 11 I was using a tiny command line app that toggled it off and on. Someone on the Nvidia forums made it.
Over time my eyes get used to HDR being enabled on my desktop, but for the first few minutes it looks pretty jank. Luckily this key shortcut alleviates the need.

Back