I am totally sick and tired of Windows 10 changing default settings.

Geezus B00nie! What kind of heating are you running?

Direct electricity (radiators and floor heating cables) and two aircon systems that are able to reverse the process to produce heat at winter. Without them the bill would be even higher. The reverse aircon produces 5-8 kilowatts of thermal energy for 1 kilowatt of electricity when the temperature is around 0c. When it drops below -20c the system can't extract heat from the outside air anymore and this is where the electricity bill really starts to bite.

I also have a sauna with an electrically heated 'kiuas' which consumes 8 kilowatts when it's on.

Only completely unethical scumbags feel good about making money off something that is completely unnecessary and hurts the customer in the end.

And this is true. I get along very well with every one of my clients and take pride in their continued trust. Yes, I have a family to support and have to make a living, I'm not a charity, but at the same time I make an honest living and don't enjoy charging my long term clients for the same fix over and over simply because MS is being too controlling.

Direct electricity (radiators and floor heating cables) and two aircon systems that are able to reverse the process to produce heat at winter. Without them the bill would be even higher. The reverse aircon produces 5-8 kilowatts of thermal energy for 1 kilowatt of electricity when the temperature is around 0c. When it drops below -20c the system can't extract heat from the outside air anymore and this is where the electricity bill really starts to bite.

I also have a sauna with an electrically heated 'kiuas' which consumes 8 kilowatts when it's on.

I see. Where do you live B00nie? Sounds freezing!

I see. Where do you live B00nie? Sounds freezing!

I live in southern Finland. Up north they get even -40c lol. Finland is a strange place in that we can have +33c on summer and then a couple months later -33c. Last week the temperature went from -12 to -2 in 10 minutes.

I live in southern Finland. Up north they get even -40c lol. Finland is a strange place in that we can have +33c on summer and then a couple months later -33c. Last week the temperature went from -12 to -2 in 10 minutes.

Geezus, and here I was thinking Australian weather was all over the place!

Crank that heater my friend!

Geezus, and here I was thinking Australian weather was all over the place!

Crank that heater my friend!

The atmosphere has swirls and vortexes caused by the rotation of the earth and the warm air masses pushed north by the gulf stream. This produces very unpredictable weather. When the swirl pushes cold air in from Siberia it can drop to severe cold in a matter of days. Then it can warm up just as fast (of course during winter it never warms up to more than +5c or so). About a third of Finland is above the arctic circle so we should generally have the same weather as Alaska but due to the stream we tend to get a much milder conditions. Except when the wind blows from the east.

Thats some temps, heating and weather!
Loading and transporting heavy electronics in those conditions must keep you fit .

I stated it was a rant in the OP?!

I was venting as it really isn't an OS's place to change settings to proprietary products when applying updates, I think everyone can agree on this, and I was asking if anyone else faced similar issues under Windows 10?

Nope, so far, I have not had that issue or as far as I am aware, neither have any of the customers of the place I work for. Things happen though, I have not seen this reset after every update thing you speak of though. (Let me guess, you are now going to accuse me of being a shill and that I do not know what I am talking about?)

Nope, so far, I have not had that issue or as far as I am aware, neither have any of the customers of the place I work for. Things happen though, I have not seen this reset after every update thing you speak of though. (Let me guess, you are now going to accuse me of being a shill and that I do not know what I am talking about?)
I've got Windows 10 (non-pro) on one of my Dell laptops that started with windows 8, and I updated to 8.1, and then 10, and I haven't experienced a reset either. In fact, I dumped Cortana and when the AU release came out folks complained about it re-enabling it, but when I was offered the AU update in late August I did not experience this either.

I'm glad I was lucky enough to not have these issues.

I've got Windows 10 (non-pro) on one of my Dell laptops that started with windows 8, and I updated to 8.1, and then 10, and I haven't experienced a reset either. In fact, I dumped Cortana and when the AU release came out folks complained about it re-enabling it, but when I was offered the AU update in late August I did not experience this either.

I'm glad I was lucky enough to not have these issues.

I do try to be open minded and listen to others on these things. There is a WIDE variance in reported experiences in Windows 10, maybe more so than any version IMHO to date. Almost all of my experience is personal, I've upgraded about a dozen family and friends that have only asked for help a few times and none of that had anything to do with Windows 10 directly. I run with all of the data sharing and cloud stuff enabled including Cortana so I would personally see much in the way of settings getting reset though I do know that it does happen and I've seen personally apps like CPUZ not getting carried over full upgrades though not in the AU update.

So honestly I have no idea what all is going on here. The only thing that comes to mind is that people are going out there way to limited or disable things they don't like or fear in the way privacy and that's causing a number of these issues. And no doubt there's just combinations of certain things that are problematic, that's always the cause with Windows.

OP - you are MAKING MONEY off this issue, and complaining about it?

There's pulling a couple bucks from a small client for a maintenance issue you have no control over.
Sure.
But, what if having to go out to that client is preventing you from servicing another client who's going to wind up giving you more billable hours?

... There is a WIDE variance in reported experiences in Windows 10, maybe more so than any version IMHO to date ...

So honestly I have no idea what all is going on here. The only thing that comes to mind is that people are going out there way to limited or disable things they don't like or fear in the way privacy and that's causing a number of these issues. And no doubt there's just combinations of certain things that are problematic, that's always the cause with Windows.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a common thread for the problems that I've read about here, or in the one newsletter I subscribe to. I've also wondered if it could be related folks disabling something that causes an issue, but there doesn't seem to be a firm trail to say that is the main culprit.

I do try to be open minded and listen to others on these things. There is a WIDE variance in reported experiences in Windows 10, maybe more so than any version IMHO to date. Almost all of my experience is personal, I've upgraded about a dozen family and friends that have only asked for help a few times and none of that had anything to do with Windows 10 directly. I run with all of the data sharing and cloud stuff enabled including Cortana so I would personally see much in the way of settings getting reset though I do know that it does happen and I've seen personally apps like CPUZ not getting carried over full upgrades though not in the AU update.

I know exactly what's going on as it follows a definitive pattern. After an update settings are changed, there's no doubt about it, it's that simple.

Furthermore, I have to go through two UI's in order to try and reset the default client, and that makes no difference in the registry whatsoever - And it's a scenario that's playing out on two completely isolated machines especially when disabling the software's need to run as administrator.

Go through and turn off every setting you can find that collects data for microsoft including cortana, set all your default apps to non microsoft apps, then let it load the anniversary update. At least half of those privacy settings will be reversed to default and probably most of the apps too. You also will get the added benefit of having to uninstall candy crush yet again and figure out why you would ever want xbox on your pc...

Or... you could probably just not use Windows 10 at all. :)

Why is electric heating so popular in Finland? When I was there our contact also mentioned horrific electricity bills. I think he was even considering doing geothermal heating, I'm not sure because we were discussing everything during a hard drinking session.

Why is electric heating so popular in Finland? When I was there our contact also mentioned horrific electricity bills. I think he was even considering doing geothermal heating, I'm not sure because we were discussing everything during a hard drinking session.

Many old houses got converted to electric heating when people got tired of heating with wood stoves. Central heating requires much more work and it costs. Electricity is also relatively cheap here, one of the only things that's cheaper than average here. It's not any cheaper to heat with oil - only natural gas is considerably cheaper but that requires central heating and pulling a gas line to the house.

Or... you could probably just not use Windows 10 at all. :)

When OEM Windows 7 costs more than OEM Windows 10 and Windows is supposed to be such an awesome OS, I'm hardly going to sell my clients a brand new machine running a last generation operating system simply because Windows 10 is incapable of running quietly in the background.

I'll just refer the clients to Microsoft, after all, it's their bloody issue.

I'll just refer the clients to Microsoft, after all, it's their bloody issue.

Only if they're paying for direct retail or commercial licenses for Windows, of course - if they're getting Windows on pre-built machines aka Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc, then it's the hardware OEM that provides support, not Microsoft. Funny how that works. ;)

If they purchase individual licenses or get a MAK for their Windows 10 installs not tied to the hardware then sure, Microsoft will provide support if required and requested.

That's an idea, still doesn't help with the application insisting on running as administrator and Windows 10 constantly unticking the radio box forcing the software to run in normal user space resulting in send to email issues.
The Application Compatability Toolkit in Windows ADK allows you to force an application to run as admin (it's also possible to run as administrator and as invoking user at the same time). Once installed and running, click Database along the top > create new application fix. Check the boxes for RunAsAdmin, or whatever you need and test the fix. After that save the database, then right click on the database in the tree view and click Install. https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit

I've also read of a way of exporting the default applications xml and replacing it, so that it reverts to your chosen settings after an upgrade. Although it might be easier to run a registry fix on a scheduled task as previously mentioned. For the xml method, read these last 3 posts only https://social.technet.microsoft.co...nymore-since-build-1511?forum=win10itprosetup

Last edited:
-PK-,

Thanks for the helpful guidance. I'm going to give auntjemima's tips a shot as they're simple, straightforward workarounds, failing that I'll definately give your suggestion a go. :)

Set up a batch script to write those registry keys 1 minute after startup, on every startup, silently.

No more problem.

Set up a batch script to write those registry keys 1 minute after startup, on every startup, silently.

No more problem.

That's what I plan to do. I've still got to work out the requirement of the software to run as administrator - Which I think is total crap, but hopefully adding the .exe to the admin group will take care of that.

That's what I plan to do. I've still got to work out the requirement of the software to run as administrator - Which I think is total crap, but hopefully adding the .exe to the admin group will take care of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next update was like 'Hmm... user created automatic script. BAAAD.. must go.'

Have you tried adding a task to task scheduler, having it run your bat/cmd files as the SYSTEM account? That should eliminate the 'run as admin' issues.

You could also try making a bat/cmd using the app compatibility layer options and runas invoker.

Have you tried adding a task to task scheduler, having it run your bat/cmd files as the SYSTEM account? That should eliminate the 'run as admin' issues.

You could also try making a bat/cmd using the app compatibility layer options and runas invoker.

I could do a number of things, none of them are ideal from the a security perspective. I'm going to try adding the .exe to the administrator group first, if that fails I'll look into other options. Software should never have to run as administrator in order to function correctly.

Software should never have to run as administrator in order to function correctly.
Spot on, especially when you're only trying to keep Windows from making decisions you didn't authorize (as in this case). I've ended up going back to 7 because of stuff like this becoming more and more prevalent with 10 - and it's not acceptable.

Back