I am totally lost, NF4 chipset, installing XP with F6 - doesn't work?

AbRASiON

Limp Gawd
Ok before I start, I've been doing this stuff for years, I shouldn't have to do this - no idea what's going on, I'm sorry to have to ask but anyhow.

Ok got an A8N Premium SLI, I am using a 74gb raptor.
I have downloaded the latest 6.70 drivers from Nvidia.com and have "built" my own F6 disk from the contents of that nvidia package.
Latest bios is being used on the machine (1009-004)
I am not overclocked (Opt 165)

Now, I'm pressing F6 during the install, and I'm chosing both nvidia drivers on the floppy (the raid and the standard) - it recognises and installs fine until re-boot number 1.
IT JUST SAYS "a disk read error occured"
It's like the XP install process isn't making the disk active (I've checked, it is)
I've tried XP SP2 without the damn nvidia disk also - just stock MS drivers, same problem.
I know the disk is fine, I can install XP with F6 drivers on my ICH5 / 875P.

I can't possibly think of anything else.
Raid mode is disabled - someone, please throw ideas at me.

Just one idea.

Is the Raptor showing up in the boot order ?

Luck.......... :D

Tigerbiten said:
Just one idea.

Is the Raptor showing up in the boot order ?

Luck.......... :D

Yes it is, I'm manually selecting it from the F8 boot menu infact.
No other PATA disks plugged in.

check the WD FAQ and the motherboard FAQ, otherwise I would give up on the WD for now. Could be bad cable, but the drive is driving you nuts, time to change plans and go another route. Spare drive you can try ?

If your using the nvidia SATA ports should be driver free, no F6, unless your trying to build a raid array with more than 1 drive. Next i woukd try the other SATA ports, but if you can elminate the the drive and cable as the culprit, i'd RMA.

compulsivephreek said:
check the WD FAQ and the motherboard FAQ, otherwise I would give up on the WD for now. Could be bad cable, but the drive is driving you nuts, time to change plans and go another route. Spare drive you can try ?

Drive works fine in Asus P4C 800E Deluxe.
Drive works fine in THIS SYSTEM under safe mode, with old copy of XP from i875p on it - it's just this initial format.

Tried 2 cables - but cabling is fine, when I boot of PATA disk - SATA is fine too just not as a boot disk.

I'm going to try 1007 bios, maybe that's the problem.

MrMitch said:
If your using the nvidia SATA ports should be driver free, no F6, unless your trying to build a raid array with more than 1 drive. Next i woukd try the other SATA ports, but if you can elminate the the drive and cable as the culprit, i'd RMA.

Drive works fine if PATA drive is the boot drive. (I mean the SATA works fine as a secondary disk)
(that solves cabling and port)

Tried with and without F6
Since the problem is totally consistent AND I've tried without F6 drivers, I think I have the "NF4 corruption bug" covered too............

I have a normal A8N-SLI and I suggest putting the SATA drivers from 6.53 on that floppy since you're problem is on the 1st reboot. I had the same problem when I tried to use the drivers from 6.66, so possibly they never fixed it in 6.70.

You can still install the 6.70 drivers after you get into windows, the 6.53s are just for the "text" part of the install.

skindogg said:
I have a normal A8N-SLI and I suggest putting the SATA drivers from 6.53 on that floppy since you're problem is on the 1st reboot. I had the same problem when I tried to use the drivers from 6.66, so possibly they never fixed it in 6.70.

You can still install the 6.70 drivers after you get into windows, the 6.53s are just for the "text" part of the install.

skin: awesome post - sounds interesting, I'll check it out - thanks dude.

Wow, now I'll have to go check my settings at home, because I think it's on LBA. That's disturbing.

skindogg said:
Wow, now I'll have to go check my settings at home, because I think it's on LBA. That's disturbing.

I tested that - it's only the initial installation phase - after that back to LBA is fine.

Back