I am still using my iPad 2 from 2014. Are people upgrading iPads?

I've got my iPad Air (A1474, MD786LL/A, basically the 2013 model), and I hate using it. Loading a web page is an exercise in frustration - Safari crashes on the regular. I'm guessing it's because there's just not enough RAM. Chrome's not any better. iOS upgrades make it worse, and you can't downgrade unless you saved the blobs... Which I didn't. I'm hoping to replace it this Xmas.

It IS still good for Amazon video and Netflix, though. And reading .PDFs on it works well, so I get my LN / Comic fix that way. And MacOS 10.15 will let me use my old iPad as another monitor, so it's still useful there too.

Last edited:
not any more. 32bit is dead to apple. I have dozens of ipad 2s(work) that cant do anything except basic internet.

Well... ipad2 is like Window 3.1. Let's talk about ancient old crusty very old iPad 3 and better (all variations of the 3 of course, since there were many and it was weird).

My iPad doesn't even have a fingerprint reader. It's the last model to not have one so idk what generation that is. No plans to upgrade anytime soon.

If you do gaming on an iPad then you would probably notice the generational differences the most. Watching movies, YouTube and music, not as much. Although once you get used to the loading times on a iPad Pro or 2018 iPad, you do notice the sluggishness of iPad 2 or even Airs.

I just upgraded my air 2 to a 11” pro. Not because the air got too slow but because I wanted more storage. So far I’m really happy with it. Especially with iOS 13.

I currently have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 5th generation. In most tasks the Air 2 is still fast enough but comparing it (A8X with 2GB RAM versus A12 with 3GB) it really shows its age. I figure I might sell the Air 2 and get something for it while it still carries a bit of value. As far as upgrading, well, I guess I did that with the iPad Mini but with the new features and capabilities of the latest iPad Pro models I might just have to get one next year. In conjunction with the Pencil that could be a really nice tool for content creation rather than consumption.

iPad 12.9 pro here..

Full time music production and performer. I do nearly all of my scratch composition on my iPad before taking it to bigger hardware. Simple 4 channel audio interface. I also have all my sheet music stored via iCloud, the 12.9 is basically the size of a sheet of paper, works great!

I still use the iPad 2 for surfing but I too picked up one of these giants for music and integration with my guitar apps

I just bought 2 new iPad pro 11" 256GB since they were on sale early for bestbuy members. They will replace an 6 year old iPad mini 2 that was handed down to my niece (her birthday is coming up) and my mother's iPad Air that I bought her since release. Both are not going to be getting new updates soon so I thought it was time to upgrade. I myself bought a 12.9" 1TB iPad Pro cellular, I thought the 1TB iPad Pro 11" was going to be good enough but I am using it so often that I wanted a bigger one with cellular so I am giving my old one to my wife. I might get one more iPad Pro for a birthday present for my brother in law if thats what he wants.

Back