I am so Jealous of the New 3800XT ,my e-penn is damage but I am fighting back

gerardfraser

[H]ard|Gawd
With super 3800X

My 3800X is getting Jealous of the New 3800XT but it is still fighting strong with a little BCLK .
2nd run
Score
Single 537
Multi 5326

1st run
Score
Single 537
Multi 5333

I figured the XT series wasn't going to bring much and purchased a 3700X right before they dropped. No regrets here, paid $273 shipped. Was for my son, originally wanted to get him a 3300x to replace his old 6600k... those were going for like $200 (3600 were out of stock everywhere, and 3600x was back up to almost MSRP), I was like... wtf, nm, $70 more and he can have 8/16 instead of 4/8... no brainer. You're 3800x looks like it is holding it's own pretty well though, I doubt it'd be worth the upgrade to a 3800xt ;).

the XT chips needed to hit 4.0 base clock speeds to make it worthwhile...but they are saving that for Zen 3

the XT chips needed to hit 4.0 base clock speeds to make it worthwhile...but they are saving that for Zen 3

They are well over that, watch around 9mins. From what Wendell showed, the XT's are definitely faster in every aspect at least by 5%. But the real attraction is the the overclocking ability especially for ratio overclocking. That said if counting pennies is the priority then ofc the XT isn't worth it. Still, for me at least the cost difference is hardly anything when Microcenter is giving 50 bucks off a board on the XT chips, where the old chips only get 20 off.

Last edited:
I am happy I paid ~$418 for my 3900X. If I was still purchasing today I would likely make the same choice.

I wish it was that price when I bought my 3700x. I would have got that instead. That said, we’re just a few months away from zen 3. No reasons to go xt now.

If the 3900X costs $400 and the XT is $500, does the XT cost 25% more or is the X 20% less?

I wish it was that price when I bought my 3700x. I would have got that instead. That said, we’re just a few months away from zen 3. No reasons to go xt now.

I purchased mine just after the March lock down. I originally was holding out for a 7nm TR but needed to purchase then. After using for work for a few months it was exactly what I needed.

If the 3900X costs $400 and the XT is $500, does the XT cost 25% more or is the X 20% less?
Both of those statements are accurate. Which one you use depends on what point you're trying to make ;). If you're comparing something to the X which is your baseline, you would normally say XT cost 25% more than the X (your baseline) for (just random #) 5% performance. But if you wanted to use the math to your advantage, you could say it the other way: You can save 20% and but you lose 4% performance (notice the same math makes the performance difference seem smaller as well). So in the end, they are both actually the same. Now, if you're being disengenious, you could swap the #'s around like... the X is only 20% cheaper than the XT, but the XT is 5% faster than the X. Notice you are comparing them from different directions/baselines to make both numbers in your favor and still be 100% technically correct. Or you can do so the other way, you can pay 25% more for the XT but the X is only 4% slower than the XT. Mixing and matching can make it sound better/worse.

Its nice they are at the same price as the X chips. Good for current builds but in real world you wont see much of a difference.

I just got my 1.0.0.6 update bios for the MSI x470 Gaming Plus with a 100% default run and stock cooler the 3700x has picked up the pace at 65 watts https://valid.x86.fr/q9f2kt

You should check .

Last edited:
Is $100 worth another "letter" in the name of your CPU? That's all it really amounts to.

Not worth it at all. The only difference XT parts bring is +100 MHz boost. The $70-100 extra for XT parts is better spent on literally anything else.

Not worth it at all. The only difference XT parts bring is +100 MHz boost. The $70-100 extra for XT parts is better spent on literally anything else.
how the imc on them can they clock higher then just under 1900 like most older ones?

how the imc on them can they clock higher then just under 1900 like most older ones?

XT is literally the same silicon as the X, there's no other difference besides the +100MHz boost clock.

How much the XT can overclock is the same as any other CPU, silicon lottery.

XT is literally the same silicon as the X, there's no other difference besides the +100MHz boost clock.

This just slightly better binned chips that can boost slightly better then the old X chips. Nothing more. Save your $$$ for upcoming zen 3

That XT ensures that you are getting the highest binning. And on top of that AMD revised the boost algorithms so the XT are faster in every way. That said, the XT chips are cool but they are not for those who already have non-XT chips.

And to be fair I don't get the hate on XT chips. AMD released them at the same MSRP. And ppl want to throw crap at AMD for releasing an improved revised chip at the same price? That the non-XT chip street prices have come down "in time" doesn't mean the XT chips are a ploy to rip off consumers, my gawd. Hell, MC has already dropped prices on the XT chips quite a bit.

With super 3800X

My 3800X is getting Jealous of the New 3800XT but it is still fighting strong with a little BCLK .
2nd run
Score
Single 537
Multi 5326

1st run
Score
Single 537
Multi 5333

the temptation was too strong for me so i succumbed and bought a 3900XT to replace my 3800X. i figure i can get 200 for the 3800X and having 12 cores is cool.

If you live near a MC, you can sometimes find open-box 3900x cpus for about $340 or so, OTD, if you use their 5% off credit card.

I heard the XT chips can run 4000Mhz memory stable and that would be worth it.

I disabled cool & quiet and reset back to all CCX cores .. reset Ryzen Master back to auto overclock +200 and retested .. now it's back up to 24,000 on stock cooler like Aug 2019 was on release date with this same board . Also that is a flashed RX 5700 ref card .

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/23212114

Last edited:
I heard the XT chips can run 4000Mhz memory stable and that would be worth it.

I disabled cool & quiet and reset back to all CCX cores .. reset Ryzen Master back to auto overclock +200 and retested .. now it's back up to 24,000 on stock cooler like Aug 2019 was on release date with this same board . Also that is a flashed RX 5700 ref card .

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/23212114
AMD Ryzen Fabric Clock Vs Tuned Ram BF5 GTAV 1920x1080 of course I could add more games

High FCLK is a myth since I can run 1933 MHZ on my AMD ryzen,oh and by the way I can show actual test. reviews are lying to people,you can get good performace if you adjust your timings.
49608546617_506df1a677_k.jpgMemory

Gerard do you think the updates to the windows scheduler negated the well documented early gains of increased fabric clock?

Back