I am so excited!!!!!!

I still have a P4 Northwood and a s478 MSI board with agp and PCI slots. Each time I think about tossing it I see my old Voodoo 2 cards and decide to keep them around Incase I feel nostalgic

Cool man, I accidentally threw both of my Voodoo's away :( still have My Viper 770 TNT2, Geforce 2 GTS, Matrox Parahielia & others. Post some videos of it! :)

Sorry guys! Seems I am now on a week long tasking that came around this morning and won't be home for a while. Potentially followed by a tour, so wait out.

Oh man.
Parents bought us (me and sister) a used packard bell intel 810 based supercomputer when I was 16.
So naturally I ran Quake II, but I wasn't aware it's running in software - I thought that's just how it was supposed to look.
While tinkering with the options I clicked (IIRC) "Hardware T&L" and I literally stood up and paced my room.
Holy moley.

Nice! I had a Voodoo 2 back in the day. After that a GeForce 2, then a radeon 9100 (I think?) and finally a 9800 non-pro when I RMA'd the 9100 and they couldn't replace it. I was over the (%*#(*% MOON! Even a non-pro 9800 was insanely awesome to me.

Oh man.
Parents bought us (me and sister) a used packard bell intel 810 based supercomputer when I was 16.
So naturally I ran Quake II, but I wasn't aware it's running in software - I thought that's just how it was supposed to look.
While tinkering with the options I clicked (IIRC) "Hardware T&L" and I literally stood up and paced my room.
Holy moley.

I'm picturing all of this happening. It's intense.

CE8F1ECFADA1754D15219CA46F1890E81E08EA84

I remember when the Voodoo1 came out, there was a 90s version of Massdrop and I used it to get one of these cards for $99. The first game I ran on it was the original Unreal.

Holy.. Freakin.. Moly. The moment I saw the opening flyby of the castle I was like "OK, gaming will now change, in an extremely good, good way."

Oh man.
Holy moley.

Had a similar experience with Need For Speed II SE. Was initially playing it using onboard video, whatever it was that happened to be in my Dell at the time. I bought a VooDoo 2 and played it again... No difference. So I read the instructions and learned what a "device driver" was. Installed that and I was blown away. Then I played Forsaken and WOW! I was blown away even more.

I'm pretty sure VooDoo 2 and Glide are the reasons I am a PC gamer today. They planted the seed.

I remember working at a Babbage's in late 2000, early 2001 ish - they put all of their Voodoo 2 cards on clearance. So I called around to all the local shops and had them hold the things, wound up buying half a dozen or so of them for $20 each.

At the time it was still a pretty capable solution for gaming if you just SLI'd a pair of them. Pretty nice upgrade for all the stuff that ran on Glide. Good for lots of early OpenGL too.

Good times, man.

Photos, we need photos !!!

I actually didn't even get to play it before going on this tasking lol.. I wil be home next Wednesday and I will be sure to post some up.. after the wife gets her attention, of course.

I remember working at a Babbage's in late 2000, early 2001 ish - they put all of their Voodoo 2 cards on clearance. So I called around to all the local shops and had them hold the things, wound up buying half a dozen or so of them for $20 each.

At the time it was still a pretty capable solution for gaming if you just SLI'd a pair of them. Pretty nice upgrade for all the stuff that ran on Glide. Good for lots of early OpenGL too.

Good times, man.

How does 20-way SLI work out for you? :p

Does anyone have the Northwest Falcon Voodoo 3 clocked at 200MHz?! Never seen one but only read about it.

My first voodoo was a Diamond Monster3D Voodoo 1, It was great. My next voodoo was a banshee (play the whomp whomp sound here) Had Voodoo 2 SLI eventually and Nvidia after that.

I got some compaq Voodoo 3's that get up around 200MHz. Bought them back around 2009 or so.

Still need to mess with Glide Emulation on my retro build that currently is: Athlon64 3400+, 2GB DDR, 9800XT AGP.

Wouldn't mind build a voodoo rig back up to mess with MiniGL, WickedGL, MesaFX stuff, never mess with that stuff much.

Was there ever an official Voodoo 2 driver released for Windows XP or did it stop with 98?

I don't think so - a lot of hardware got dropped when WinXP came out, and 3dfx was well on to Voodoo 3 by then.

(The various Philips' sound cards, which were at the time a pretty good alternative to Creative, all had terrible 2k/XP support and were basically abandoned. It wasn't odd at the time for "old" hardware to just not work in Windows XP.)

Those were the good ole days.. watching out for new game releases, and hoping for Glide support.

Janes Longbow 2 was amazing on dual Voodoo 2's

Nice! I had a Voodoo 2 back in the day. After that a GeForce 2, then a radeon 9100 (I think?) and finally a 9800 non-pro when I RMA'd the 9100 and they couldn't replace it. I was over the (%*#(*% MOON! Even a non-pro 9800 was insanely awesome to me.

i remember when i got my radeon 9500 and randomly saw an article saying it could be unlocked to a 9700pro so i did it and then did the same with the 9800SE to pro. as a kid those were the best days of my life thinking i was giving the middle finger to the big companies, lol.

How does 20-way SLI work out for you? :p

Does anyone have the Northwest Falcon Voodoo 3 clocked at 200MHz?! Never seen one but only read about it.

My first voodoo was a Diamond Monster3D Voodoo 1, It was great. My next voodoo was a banshee (play the whomp whomp sound here) Had Voodoo 2 SLI eventually and Nvidia after that.

I got some compaq Voodoo 3's that get up around 200MHz. Bought them back around 2009 or so.

Still need to mess with Glide Emulation on my retro build that currently is: Athlon64 3400+, 2GB DDR, 9800XT AGP.

Wouldn't mind build a voodoo rig back up to mess with MiniGL, WickedGL, MesaFX stuff, never mess with that stuff much.

my first voodoo card was the voodoo banshee 16mb and still have it in a box some where.. as of a couple years ago the damn thing still worked which amazed me.

Finally home! I will get around to the pictures in the next few days. Time for rest and family time.

Oh man.
Holy moley.

This. was running QII on an old Emachine the first 2 times I beat it with the Rage IIc 4MB onboard graphics. Upgraded to a Xpert 128 Pro 16Mb and messed around with the settings and found the hardware tab, when I saw the water after that, I shit all over myself, looked like a whole new game, not to mention the 20+ FPS increase. I went on to beat it at least another 5 times since the first 2 didn't count. :D

I am working on this ask we speak guys. I don;t have a sound card installed and I am getting nothing but issues when running both Quake II and GLQuake. I will update after I test my $2 SB Audigy card.

Audigy card was a bust! But I have about 10 SB Live! cards and got one working.

I ran it in both software and OpenGL. I am working on 3dfx OpenGL but it's proving to be a bitch. I even tried the minigl and wickedgl drivers. Both are run at 640x480. I'll take some image quality shots soon.

IMG_20171021_231536.jpg

IMG_20171021_233814.jpg

The voodoo overheated and shut down. Hilarious. It's getting late, but I suppose I should add a fan to it's ridiculous passive cooling. I'll do that tomorrow.

Quake was the mother of video card tests back in the day. You could even tell the difference in the CPU floating point performance between a real Pentium 166 and a Cyrix P-166 like we had.

And it's almost hard to believe that just 20 years ago what was considered 'powerful' in terms of video card performance in comparison to what there is today. I'm sure even the most forward thinking architects of the PC genre would have never imaged 8GB of memory just on the video sub-system and the unbelievable capabilities that system would have.

Nice Unicomp M hidden in that last pic btw!

So how is it going?? So you think the card is bad or what?? Tried any other games with it?

I used to be a master at configuring quake..

So how is it going?? So you think the card is bad or what?? Tried any other games with it?

I used to be a master at configuring quake..

I thought it was heat, but it's not. If I try OpenGL with the minigl drivers and choose fullscreen at the same time as a new resolution, the entire pc reboots. Easily reproducible.

I still remember that day I showed up at the LAN party rocking my huge tower case containing a pair of Voodoo2's, Matrox Millenium, and a Celeron 300A@450 with a Golden Orb cooler. I was like I walked in with the Belle of the Ball that day.

Back