I am returning my 6800OC and putting in my ti4400

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
[STORY]

I bought this 680OC from best buy about 3 weeks ago. I thought it would allow me to enjoy modern games more, because up until now, all I played was Unreal Tournament 2004.

I bought the card, and regardless of various problems it had (black and white video out, etc) I was indeed able to play doom 3 at very smooth framerates...it was quite nice.

But in the end, what game do I end up still playing all the time? Unreal Tournament 2004.

I don't need this card...so I will be returning it and replacing it with my old ti4400...It just doesn't make sense to keep this card when all I ever play is ut2k4!

Thoughts? Comments?

[/STORY]

DusterAZ said:
Return it ??? NO! Sell it to me for $100 ;)
Thats the beauty of buying from Best Buy...30 day return policy, and 90 days interest free on their credit card...

I have been playing with a 6800OC for a month, and it won't cost me a thing.

but it does cost the company .. because now they have to sell it at a lower price because it's open box .. and then they jack up prices .. and then others suffer at your expense ... maybe u will suffer too the next time u decide to buy something from them

mohammedtaha said:
but it does cost the company .. because now they have to sell it at a lower price because it's open box .. and then they jack up prices .. and then others suffer at your expense ... maybe u will suffer too the next time u decide to buy something from them

No, items like video cards do not get sold as open box, at least not at Best Buy. They simply send it back to the manufacturer and get credit for it.

Well my old GF3 Ti500 would play UT2K4 pretty smoothly at 11x8 with mostly high details. Now I play it at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF on my 6800U. The same with Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, which I play a lot of. It's not a quantum leap in terms of overall visual quality for these games, but I won't be returning the card :)

so let me get this straight, you vbought the card, played Doom3, and now you're going to return it?

Ever think about new games coming out that you may want to play (ie HL2, Bloodlines:Masquerade, STALKER, Bid on Soldier, UT2k5, et cetera)?

Seems like a lot of effort and trouble for everyone just b/c you THINK you will only play ut2k4.

Thoughts? Comments?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Do you play at 1024 x768 or something? The 6800 OC will kick the dog tar out of the 4400..I dont see your reasoning here.

mohammedtaha said:
Sorry man, you aren't going to pull that judgemental RMA ethics crap with me, this is an entirely different situation, so back off.

I have had issues with this card, including artifacts from the start (without overclocking), black and white TV-out, and poor dual monitor support that apparently plagues the entire 6800 series. These are also reasons for my returning this card, however I have opened other threads that discuss these issues.

Save the RMA ethics lessons for someone that needs it.

BubbaHoTep said:
Thoughts? Comments?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Do you play at 1024 x768 or something? The 6800 OC will kick the dog tar out of the 4400..I dont see your reasoning here.
Yeah, you are right, but UT2k4 runs nicely on a ti4400 with no AA or AF @ 1162x864...275 dollars is too much for AA and AF on a monitor that can only go up to 1280X1024...

The card would be worth it if i played doom 3 or Call of Duty, etc all the time...but I just end up playing ut2k4 all the time!

Seeing as how these are some of the last AGP cards to ever come out, I just don't feel the need to upgrade after realizing that my game playing didn't expand after doing so! I always thought that if i had a better card, i would play newer games more...but I realize that isn't the case!

Let me also say that the quality of this card and drivers are not up to snuff.

I need dual monitor support (and hardware video encoding), and this card does not perform as I need it to.

On my ti4400 I could play video games and watch TV on my second monitor at the same time.

I can't do that with this card!

The performance drops to abysmal levels if I have a second monitor activated while gaming. Even the "fixes" posted by Anandtech (involving running the second display in single monitor non-hardware mode) doesn't fix this problem.

In addition, the output is black and white!

For a nearly 300 dollar purchase, I expect these issues to be corrected. I have waited an entire month for newer drivers to repair these problems, and it hasn't happened. I have lost patience, and now BFG, nVidia, or Best Buy will have to deal with me returning this card.

This is all in addition to the fact that the only game I end up playing is UT2k4!

Turn up the eye candy so you can at least notice the difference.

I used to play games at 1024x768 with medium quality, no AA/AF

Now I play at 1152x864 (b/c its the highest resolution that moniter still does 100Hz) with everything at ultra high details... usually with 2xAA b/c thats all I need and I like to have REALLY high fps.

4xAA is basically free in most older games.... b/c you're CPU limited.

KingPariah777... I have read most if not all of your threads and I am mystified by the difficulty you have had. I have the same card with absolutely no problems. Maybe you just got a bunk card. Why not return it for a replacement? I think you will enjoy it if you get a piece of good hardware. Remember, no one makes 100% of their products 100% defect free.

KingPariah777 said:
In addition, the output is black and white!
LOL

omgsimplefix.gif

Change that to composite (or s-video if that's what you have) and you'll -gasp- have color. It probably had trouble identifying your TV out type. Auto-select always works for me in s-video or composite, but your case is why the option is available to change it manually.

RAutrey said:
KingPariah777... I have read most if not all of your threads and I am mystified by the difficulty you have had. I have the same card with absolutely no problems. Maybe you just got a bunk card. Why not return it for a replacement? I think you will enjoy it if you get a piece of good hardware. Remember, no one makes 100% of their products 100% defect free.
This is certainly a good point, I might try another 6800OC before giving up on them...

However, if I produced code that had known defects and I never repaired the defects within a reasonable amount of time, I would be fired.

I expect the same quality in products that I buy.

pxc said:
LOL

Change that to composite (or s-video if that's what you have) and you'll -gasp- have color. It probably had trouble identifying your TV out type. Auto-select always works for me in s-video or composite, but your case is why the option is available to change it manually.
Doesn't do anything...if i change it at all, I can't see any output whatsoever.

Granted, it may be this individual card.

chrisf6969 said:
Turn up the eye candy so you can at least notice the difference.

I used to play games at 1024x768 with medium quality, no AA/AF

Now I play at 1152x864 (b/c its the highest resolution that moniter still does 100Hz) with everything at ultra high details... usually with 2xAA b/c thats all I need and I like to have REALLY high fps.

4xAA is basically free in most older games.... b/c you're CPU limited.
You should try a higher resolution at a lesser monitor hz. 100 vs 85 = no visual difference. And you could probably get 1600x1200 at that rate.

Back