I am On My 4th I7 5930K CPU IN 1 Year Need Your Help.

Lalau2

Weaksauce
Like the title says, I am currently on my 4th I7 5930K cpu. I had a Asus Deluxe 3.1 when I first built the system. I had 3 cpus fail with the error code 00 or 0A. Which is a memory controller error. Replaced the cpu three times and changed the memory which was GSkill 3200 MHZ to 2133MHZ on the advice of the Intel Technical support.

The 4th cpu was on the board in my sig. AsRock Formula O\C 3.1. The power supply died and either the cpu was already dead or it was killed by the power supply out. I was getting code 79 when the power supply decide to take a dump. Yes Intel warrantied all of the cpus. I brought a new power supply an MRXREVO Enermax 1500W and some new memory Cosair Dominator Platinum 32G. The memory is rated for 2400mhz and I run it at 2133mhz. I lower the input memory voltage from 1.05 to 1.03. The system is stable.

My question to you is what else can I do to fix this issue with the cpus dying because of the memory management? I have all ready replaced the motherboard, power supply, memory, and cpus!

What kind of UPS are you using?
I have a CyberPower 1500AVR just for the computer. The floating ground sounds good but it has happen in 2 different houses. One built in 1958 and the other was built in 2005 which is a new house compared to the first one.

Are you overclocking the chips a little too heavy? Not sure if I saw anything about any OC'ing.

"Sounds like dirty power to me."

Agree with that.... I don't use a ups system and have never had a chip die. Could be a trend there, just saying ;)
Unless you are doing serious applications for work where you are screwed if you don't save file when power goes out I really don't see the point in a ups for home use. Can someone explain to me how they have benefited from ups on home computer? I have been gaming for over 16 years and can count how many times my computer shutdown due to power outage during use on 1 hand.
I am a field service engineer and work on ups systems almost every day, but those are larger commercial/industrial systems. The small ones that consumers purchase from retail for home use are very poor quality and I would not really trust them and think most would be better off with a $15 surge protector power strip.

Like the title says, I am currently on my 4th I7 5930K cpu. I had a Asus Deluxe 3.1 when I first built the system. I had 3 cpus fail with the error code 00 or 0A. Which is a memory controller error. Replaced the cpu three times and changed the memory which was GSkill 3200 MHZ to 2133MHZ on the advice of the Intel Technical support.

The 4th cpu was on the board in my sig. AsRock Formula O\C 3.1. The power supply died and either the cpu was already dead or it was killed by the power supply out. I was getting code 79 when the power supply decide to take a dump. Yes Intel warrantied all of the cpus. I brought a new power supply an MRXREVO Enermax 1500W and some new memory Cosair Dominator Platinum 32G. The memory is rated for 2400mhz and I run it at 2133mhz. I lower the input memory voltage from 1.05 to 1.03. The system is stable.

My question to you is what else can I do to fix this issue with the cpus dying because of the memory management? I have all ready replaced the motherboard, power supply, memory, and cpus!

In 20+ years I've never had a bad cpu on its own. Statistically that's nearly impossible for it to be just the cpu fault that many times unless Intel is sending the same cpu back to you.

You had a bad psu and possibly more.

I'd have swapped the psu when I lost the first cpu.

Last edited:
Must be getting expensive replacing those CPUs.......

Must be getting expensive replacing those CPUs.......

These should have been replaced under warranty.

Sounds like bad power. Power to your motherboard is filtered somewhat by default as the power supply is converting AC to DC and disturbing it accordingly.

My money is on the power supply or ESD buildup on the motherboard.

I have a ziplock bag full of old cpu's that never died. I've never killed a cpu. Killed EVERYTHING else.

Maybe he goes to lotsa LAN parties and has a giant cooler strapped to it and it gets bumped. Or he has some Wal-Mart PSU made in a trailer park in mainland China.

These should have been replaced under warranty.

Sounds like bad power. Power to your motherboard is filtered somewhat by default as the power supply is converting AC to DC and disturbing it accordingly.

My money is on the power supply or ESD buildup on the motherboard.
So Intel should have to warrant a CPU multiple times because of another bad part or power supply issue? No wonder our warranties keep getting shittier and shittier.

So Intel should have to warrant a CPU multiple times because of another bad part or power supply issue? No wonder our warranties keep getting shittier and shittier.

Well, with the verdict out on what's causing it, I'd sure as hell send it in for warranty.

Some power supply and motherboard manufacturers will cover hardware damaged in relation to their product if that product is the fault.

Say you power up your Corsair PSU (depending on the model) and it lights everything in your system on fire. Supposedly they'll cover it. Probably not your house though :D

Your probably destroying them from to setting high of voltage for your over clocks!

I've done some silly mods over the years, not all executed as well as I would have liked. The only cpu I've ever killed was an Athlon XP in a new motherboard. I clipped the HSF/fan down to the sound of a crunch. The mobo had a temperature sensor that was just a hair high, broke off a couple of the little surface mount components on the back of the die. Apparently, those are important...

OP, as has been pointed out - it sounds like you have a power delivery problem. It really wouldn't surprise me if that old power supply, in it's death throes before it finally died wasn't properly regulating voltages. I also don't know if I'd completely trust that motherboard. What do you have your voltages set to? (please don't type auto, please don't type auto, please don't type auto, please don't type auto) What software are you using to check voltages? Voltages in spec? Voltages stable?

I know at least OCCT will graph voltages while you bench. If there is better software to log voltages, someone chime in.

No overclocking for a while. Like months. Run stock, run the voltages at spec and confirm that they are within a hair of where you set them.

A. It could be your UPS

B. It seems like you are running a lot of storage and other types of drives. Is the configuration of those the same, from the Asus to the Asrock?

I know it sounds dumb, but something about your drive configuration could be causing the problem. It could be one drive which is just a crazy piece of hardware. Or it could something about the whole combo.

A. It could be your UPS

B. It seems like you are running a lot of storage and other types of drives. Is the configuration of those the same, from the Asus to the Asrock?

I know it sounds dumb, but something about your drive configuration could be causing the problem. It could be one drive which is just a crazy piece of hardware. Or it could something about the whole combo.
My UPS is a cyberpower 900avr for my storage devices. My Evga G2 1300w power supply went snap crackle and pop. Got replacement for it and installed it today.
Everything is new. The cpu oc to 4.5ghz at 1.32v , memory cosair dominator platium 32G set at 2400mhz , Icc at 1.03, memory input 1.03v, Asrocck OC X99 Formula 3.1.
This is not just a cpu dying it died because of to much voltage to the memory controller. This could be because of to original ram was GSkill 3200mhz. I didnot run the ram in xmp because of the excess voltage applied. I got this information from the Intel technical support. I have my ram set at 2400mhz 1.20v cas 14, cas to ras16 ,tRCD 16,tras 31.
I will continue to monitor my cpu, ram, gpu voltage. If I find a glitch in the charts I will let the forum know.

My UPS is a cyberpower 900avr for my storage devices. My Evga G2 1300w power supply went snap crackle and pop. Got replacement for it and installed it today.
Everything is new. The cpu oc to 4.5ghz at 1.32v , memory cosair dominator platium 32G set at 2400mhz , Icc at 1.03, memory input 1.03v, Asrocck OC X99 Formula 3.1.
This is not just a cpu dying it died because of to much voltage to the memory controller. This could be because of to original ram was GSkill 3200mhz. I didnot run the ram in xmp because of the excess voltage applied. I got this information from the Intel technical support. I have my ram set at 2400mhz 1.20v cas 14, cas to ras16 ,tRCD 16,tras 31.
I will continue to monitor my cpu, ram, gpu voltage. If I find a glitch in the charts I will let the forum know.
my point is that you have changed cpu, memory, and motherboard. The problem is elsewhere. It could have been that power supply, all along. (if you were using the same one, the whole time). If your CPU dies again, than it is another of your components, which you have been re-using.

are you in a dry environment, maybe installing on carpet? out of the hundreds and hundreds of systems ive built and/or refurbed I have only had a couple doa chips in oem systems, I crushed an old Sempron with a hsf and once zapped a cpu while installing on carpet. the chances of having 4 cpus go bad without you doing something wrong is very unlikely. check you install environment, make sure your grounded before touching anything and maybe go easier on the OCs.

An older H100i with a 4.5ghz overclock @ 1.3v. Sounds a little roasty IMO.

An older H100i with a 4.5ghz overclock @ 1.3v. Sounds a little roasty IMO.
My idle temps are low 40C and under load never goes beyond 65C. I would like to improve my cooling what would you suggest?

Last edited:
Those are already really good temps, the H100 is still a great cooler.

Better ones are out there, check some of the reviews on [H] on coolers.

Send your 5930k to me, I will extensively test it for the next 2-3 years and give you a report if and when its fails and why.

Those are already really good temps, the H100 is still a great cooler.

Better ones are out there, check some of the reviews on [H] on coolers.
If those themps are correct, there is absolutely no need to replace the cooler. How much better coolers are out there? 3-5 degrees tops? That's a waste of money.

If those themps are correct, there is absolutely no need to replace the cooler. How much better coolers are out there? 3-5 degrees tops? That's a waste of money.
I didn't say there was a need, about the only time you would need to upgrade is when the pump goes out.

Back