I am now LCD free

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Last week sold my last LCD, the Acer Nitro 4k144 and am now 100% LCD free from my life rocking:

Alienware 55 as my gaming/productivity display
LG C9 as my Movie / TV / Console content consumption
ROG 2 120hz Phone

So far, life without BLB, IPS Glow, hideous VA smear, Shitty TN has been glorious and a week out and I am already getting spoiled and forgetful as to how much LCD sucks ass.

PS: I still have my FW900 CRT in my closet and may bring it back out to join the AW55 in a hoedown!

Alienware 55 is on sale right now at Dell for 2,999.99

So tempted....

Apart from being able to use DP for 4K @ 120 Hz, how would you compare the AW to the LG C9? Obviously price excluded since the C9 is a much better deal especially with current sales.

At this point I recommend waiting for CES announcements before biting on the AW55.

Alienware 55 is on sale right now at Dell for 2,999.99

So tempted....

If you sign up for as a dell member, which is easy and no obligation, you get 5% discount....$150 bucks in this case.
I am 100% satisfied with the AW55 and God only knows when Nvidia will man up and give us HDMI 2.1

Apart from being able to use DP for 4K @ 120 Hz, how would you compare the AW to the LG C9? Obviously price excluded since the C9 is a much better deal especially with current sales.

The C9s got more pop as you can take its brightness to higher levels, but the AW55 is very easy on the eyes and provides plenty of brightness. I drop the AW55 brightness down to 75% when doing work productivity and 100% max when gaming.

IMHO the C9's more future proof but the AW55s more versatile with its displayport...both amazing displays.

Reactions: isp
like this
FWIW I tried the C9 as a monitor and it was useless for productivity. There's an undefeatable dimming function that if you have a static level of brightness in whatever you're doing (such as a white webpage or a dark movie or game) the whole panel will gradually change brightness on its own. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on as the damn thing kept changing and I was constantly reaching for the remote to adjust the brightness and contrast.

IMO the Alienware is the only true OLED monitor replacement unless all you're doing is gaming with very dynamic and changing brightness.

Last edited:
Last week sold my last LCD, the Acer Nitro 4k144 and am now 100% LCD free from my life rocking:

Alienware 55 as my gaming/productivity display
LG C9 as my Movie / TV / Console content consumption
ROG 2 120hz Phone

So far, life without BLB, IPS Glow, hideous VA smear, Shitty TN has been glorious and a week out and I am already getting spoiled and forgetful as to how much LCD sucks ass.

PS: I still have my FW900 CRT in my closet and may bring it back out to join the AW55 in a hoedown!

What's your viewing distance?

FWIW I tried the C9 as a monitor and it was useless for productivity. There's an undefeatable dimming function that if you have a static level of brightness in whatever you're doing (such as a white webpage or a dark movie or game) the whole panel will gradually change brightness on its own. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on as the damn thing kept changing and I was constantly reaching for the remote to adjust the brightness and contrast.

IMO the Alienware is the only true OLED monitor replacement unless all you're doing is gaming with very dynamic and changing brightness.

Bingo!

3-1/2 to 4 feet

You gotta sit so far away from it though.

back when I was building an 4K/120 hz setup for the emporium displays dropping i had to design my room so that the desk would be behind the couch.

although I plan to return to that again I am thankful I did not jump the gun immediately considering how prices have changed.

I’m going to wait for continued discounts. The LG variants will be available soon for less than 1500.

You gotta sit so far away from it though.

back when I was building an 4K/120 hz setup for the emporium displays dropping i had to design my room so that the desk would be behind the couch.

although I plan to return to that again I am thankful I did not jump the gun immediately considering how prices have changed.

I’m going to wait for continued discounts. The LG variants will be available soon for less than 1500.

IMHO 4' away is the sweet spot for 55"

What is good about sitting that kind of distance away from your display it gives you all that real estate on your desk between you and the display to work with which is great for me. I hate 27" and smaller displays because it gives me no physical workspace in between the monitor and my nose.

32" - 40" is my holy sweet baby jeebus grail size though.

Congrats, Looking forward to being 100% OLED, everything else is utter trash in comparison, the difference is like console vs PC. Master bedroom is OLED, monitor is OLED, VR headset is OLED, need to do living room and phone next. Unfortunately my home theater projector can't be OLED, have next best thing: JVC pj. Maybe when laser pj comes down from astronomical I will bite.

First world problems.

Also have an FW900 on standby, hehehe.

Last edited:
I simply cannot imagine this for myself.

Using it is like sitting behind NASA launch control. I cut brightness down to 75% for productivity though as its a lot of screen.
I would rather have "TOO BIG" than "too small" (that's what she said)

Using it is like sitting behind NASA launch control. I cut brightness down to 75% for productivity though as its a lot of screen.
I would rather have "TOO BIG" than "too small" (that's what she said)
It’s the opposite with me. I can’t tolerate too big. But being someone who’s learnt how to be fully productive on a laptop screen over years of using one, I’m fine with too small. If those 21” OLEDs weren’t $4000, I’d probably have one sitting in front of me.

Haven't kept any LCDs at home, except phone when I'm here. And I guess if I were to use the laptop's own screen. Keyboard, modified IBM PC AT...doesn't appear to have its own screen.

Well when the 48's come this "club" is going to get a lot bigger (OLED converts)
I'm keeping my PG27UQ until a video card with HDMI 2.1 comes out. When that happens it's just going to be my phone left which uses an IGZO screen. Unfortunately there are no phones with an OLED that I know of using a standard 16:9 resolution.

I'm keeping my PG27UQ until a video card with HDMI 2.1 comes out. When that happens it's just going to be my phone left which uses an IGZO screen. Unfortunately there are no phones with an OLED that I know of using a standard 16:9 resolution.

Why do you care about 16:9? With oled you get true black bars.

IMHO 4' away is the sweet spot for 55"

What is good about sitting that kind of distance away from your display it gives you all that real estate on your desk between you and the display to work with which is great for me. I hate 27" and smaller displays because it gives me no physical workspace in between the monitor and my nose.

32" - 40" is my holy sweet baby jeebus grail size though.

I found the exact same thing with my C7 55. I like sitting a little further. Wallmounting your computer monitor is going to become quite common I think.

I found the exact same thing with my C7 55. I like sitting a little further. Wallmounting your computer monitor is going to become quite common I think.

I'm hoping that heavy duty monitor arms can just about handle the weight of a 48" OLED. The 55" C9 without stand seems to be in the acceptable weight range of the Multibrackets arm I have on order. My idea is that for a display like this it would be nice to be able to vary its distance based on what you are doing. Further away on the desktop, closer when gaming in 3840x1600 ultrawide resolution for example. Some wallmounts do come with this sort of functionality too.

I'm hoping that heavy duty monitor arms can just about handle the weight of a 48" OLED. The 55" C9 without stand seems to be in the acceptable weight range of the Multibrackets arm I have on order. My idea is that for a display like this it would be nice to be able to vary its distance based on what you are doing. Further away on the desktop, closer when gaming in 3840x1600 ultrawide resolution for example. Some wallmounts do come with this sort of functionality too.

3 years ago when I started doing this everyone told me I was insane for using such a big display.... times are a changing!

3 years ago when I started doing this everyone told me I was insane for using such a big display.... times are a changing!

It's more like the times are not a-changing! Gaming LCDs have not improved much while keeping high price points and sticking firmly at the 27" 1440p size. When I bought one of those back in 2014 I did not expect it would still be a great display purely for gaming in 2020.

If there was a roughly 38-40" OLED display then I would be the first one to buy it but as it is you have to compromise and go for the large 48/55" and deal with it.

I have a giant desk and put up with having a 48.5" "TV" (49x900f) as a second monitor because it was (is?) the only well rated FALD tv available down to that size which could do 120hz @ 1440p (actually it can do 2816x1584 @ 120) as well as having low input lag and decent video/HDR performance.

Soon, I expect the LG OLED 48" will be able to do all that but better at the same size, with OLED blacks and contrast, faster pixel response and VRR upto 4k. However it will still be a giant screen, and that requires compromises.
I do use the big screen as my main screen but I often switch to the 27" ROG Swift 1440p Gsync display right next to it for competitive stuff because the ultra wide FOV is actually distracting and even when I get used to it, I still do worse in competitive stuff. I have a lapdesk and move back to about 3.5-4' when I want to be in the sweet spot with the 49" but that is obviously not ideal in terms of moving back and forth. For the most part it works and is really immersive. Like ultrawide stuff but more immersive for gaming. Desktop stuff is about 10% larger than ideal at 100% scaling, so again, pretty close.

A 32" 4k (my work setup) by comparison it is just a bit too small at 100% scaling for desktop use, so I use 125% scaling or toggle it on and off based on the primary workflow. Those 32" screens are also not good gaming displays (not just because of the 60hz).
I still hope for a 36-40" 4k screen that is not ultrawide, I've got the bigger and smaller screen, just looking for that 'goldilocks' zone.

Also as a 65" C7 owner, I can't wait until there are reasonable OLED options (or microLED someday far far away) at every size. They are just better in every way but IR which is such a minor concern with a modern OLED I would take my chances. Between my phone, tablet, living room TV being OLED, I am just 2 screens away from being LCD free at home!

Last edited:
Back